• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE OFFICIAL NUZLOCKE CHALLENGE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    Continuing my journey!
    I decided that I won't use repels until I encounter my first pokemon in the area (after which its mainly for sanity against zubats), so no Bagon for me!

Anyways...

Training for the Gym.
    I ask around town about the gym leader, Roxanne, and discover she trains rock types. Great news for me, as Geico could probably wreck the gym, but my levels are a bit low (and Monarch still needs to evolve!) so I go explore for more trainers. I first head north to Route 115, but find that I can't go too far...there are ledges that are simply too higher to jump over. So I go back to Rustboro and go onto Route 116. I encounter a level 6 Whismur (female, named it Vilma). I heal at the pokemon center back in Rustboro, as I had injured Vilma quite a bit to catch it. I encounter another trainer, and while fighting his Nincada, I try out Vilma, who despite the Nincada's Hardens took it down with Uproar with ease, and leveled all the way to 8! I continued fighting trainers and went into Rusturf tunnel (which they stopped digging in to prevent damage to the pokemon's habitat), picking up a Poke ball and a Potion on the way. I ran into a second Whismur (Level 7, female, named it Mimsy). Having done training, my Monarch has evolved into a Beautifly and learned Absorb, Priscilla is level 8, Vilma is level 8, and Mimsy is level 7. Not too high, but I decide I can take the gym! Back to Rustboro I go...

Rock the Gym! The Stone Badge:
    I walk into the gym, and notice the caretaker by the door. He tells me more of what I know (Rock types, weak to grass and water, blah blah). I notice two other trainers in there. I talk to the first one, who tells me that they are Gym Trainers, tougher than other trainers. We get into a battle, and Priscilla grows to level 9, taking no damage from him, and Geico grows to level 12. I challenge the next trainer, and Geico grows to Level 13. Finally, its time for Roxanne! I decide to just fight with Geico (I don't want to risk losing another pokemon)...boy was that a good call! She throws out a level 14 Geodude, who would have surely taken out any of my other pokemon. I use Absorb and its down in the red. She uses a potion as I try to take it out, again in the red. Same thing happens again. Apparently she's out of potions now, and Geodude finally goes down. Next out is...Nosepass! Absorb is a bit weaker now (Geodude is Rock/Ground, so takes quadruple damage, while Nosepass is only Rock, taking only 2x damage), and its Rock Tomb attack actually did a decent amount of damage to Geico. Fortunately, one of my absorbs criticalled and healed enough to last one more attack. Nosepass falls, Geico grows to level 15, and I get the Stone badge and the TM for Rock Tomb!

The Thug in Red:
    As I leave the gym, I notice the thug I defeated in Petalburg Woods running towards Route 116, and the odd man chasing after him, yelling about "Devon Goods". However, my pokemon needed healing badly, so I went to the Pokemon center, hoping I could make it back in time to help out! A quick heal and I head to 116, where I meet the odd man. He begs me to help him get the goods back. Luckily for us, I knew that there was no way out from where he went, as the tunnel wasn't finished. I head towards Rusturf tunnel, where I meet an old man, Mr. Briney. Apparently the thug took his pokemon, Peeko! The nerve! I enter the cave, and sure enough, there is the thug, with Peeko (the Wingull) by his side. He challenges me, and I easily take care of him. He hands over the goods, and accidentally reveals that he's working as part of some group, or at least the very least someone else is pulling the strings here. Seems like he's just some grunt. Anyways, Mr. Briney follows in and retreives Peeko. He tells me to visit him by his shack (back on Route 104) if I ever need anything.

Meeting the President (of Devon Corporation):
    I make my way back to Rustboro, and meet the old man, handing over the goods. He gives me another Great Ball as thanks, and takes me to meet the President. The president, Mr. Stone, thanks me for helping his staff by giving me a Pokenav, a nifty little device with a map, a list of trainers who want to battle, and other cool features. The odd man gives me the Devon Goods to deliver to Slateport City as I make my way there. Mr. Stone also gives me a letter to his son, Steven, asking if I can drop it off on Dewford town on my way there. All of this means I need to find someway to cross the oceans. Mr. Briney had a dock by his house...perhaps he'll have some ideas?

Summary:
    Current City: Rustboro, about to leave. Badges: 1/8
    Current Team:
    Geico (Level 15 Treecko Male)
    Priscilla (Level 9 Ralts Female)
    Monarch (Level 10 Beautifly Female)
    Vilma (Level 8 Whismur, Female)
    Mimsy (Level 7 Whismur, Female)

Dead:
    Goon (Level 4 Zigzagoon, Female) Levels 4 to 4.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Ok with the Loss of my Team I've began to worry.I mean sure Flora and Boulder has recently evolved (yay :D) but Morty still made me worry.My Original Plan was to Train up Batman to Golbat/Crobat and do that but Zubat training can be tedious.But fortunatly I found another Ratatta in the Burned Tower (Heart sunk a little because it reminded me of Joey D:) Named her Liz and Im going to Grind her up.

Team
    Spoiler:

(I'm Going to stop posting the Box)

Deceased
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    Do you have the Soothe Bell yet (you get it in National Park in HG/SS)? That can help raise the happiness on your Zubat/Golbat much faster!

Continuing where I left off:

Ahoy, Mr. Briney!
    After resting at the Pokemon center, I check my bag for some supplies (mainly Pokeballs and held items), and as I get ready to leave I see a sign on the house next to me..."Cutter's House". It seemed interesting, so I went in. The man there apparently used Pokemon to Cut trees in the area to help develop the city! He gave me HM01 (Cut) so I could teach my pokemon how to cut. Unfortunately, only Geico can learn it at this point, and since it learns better moves I opt not to teach it. If I need it, I always have the option! I head south towards Petalburgh woods. I see May on the way, and she mentions that she kept catching pokemon in the Woods until she ran out of Pokeballs. With a quick good bye, I go through the woods, and end up at the shack I passed earlier. I went in, and sure enough, Mr. Briney was there! I asked him for a ride, and he agreed. We set sail for Dewford town.

We've hit land in Dewford!
    I get off the pier on Dewford. Its a pretty small town. I talk to a few people around town (getting a Silk Scarf and an Old Rod in the process!) and hear that someone was looking for rare stones in a cave to the north. I go to the cave, fighting a few fishermen on the way, and inside a Hiker gave me HM05 (Flash), warning me the floors below were dark. On the way, I fought and caught Kahuna (Level 8 male Makuhita). I needed the Dewford gym badge to use it, but my team is a little weak, and their pokemon (Fighting types) seemed strong, so I decide to tackle it later. I navigate the dark caves (picking up an Everstone and an Escape Rope on the way) and meet Steven! He thanks me for the letter, and gives me the TM for Steel Wing! I use my rope for a fast exit, and go outside. I fish and catch a Magikarp (Koi, level 10 female) and head to the Pokecenter to exchange Mimsy for Koi. I decided to head to Slateport next, and train a bit before tackling Brawly's Gym.

City: Dewford Badges: 1/8
    Current Team:
    Geico (Level 15 Treecko Male)
    Priscilla (Level 9 Ralts Female)
    Monarch (Level 10 Beautifly Female)
    Vilma (Level 8 Whismur, Female)
    Kahuna (Level 8 Makuhita, Female)
    Koi (Level 10 Magikarp, Female)

Dead: Goon (Level 4 Zigzagoon)
    Box: Level 7 Mimsy (Whismur)

Edit: Don't want to double post.

Welcome to Slateport City
    I land on Route 106, and battle a few trainers there. I pick up a soft sand from one of the girls, which will help power up my ground type moves. I fished here, and faced another Magikarp (was going for a Tentacool) and rather than wasting my time I KOed it. I head up to Slateport, and notice a lot more of those Thugs in red (and discover that they call themselves Team Magma). In fact, up north, a group of them line up for a drill, making the path inaccessible. Now might not be the best time to search for Capt. Stern, so I decide to go train back in Dewford...after taking care of a few personal affairs. I walk into the grass and am instantly attacked by a level 13 male Oddish (OddFish). Back in Slateport, I try fishing again...to get another Magikarp! Ah well, no Tentacool for me...yet. I go back down to route 106 after realizing there are no more trainers to fight...and run into one I missed on the beach. My lead pokemon, Kahuna, got a critical hit low kick...and did not make it. I avenged him with Priscilla, who took out both of the remaining trainer's pokemon with ease.

Back to Dewford
    I went back to Dewford, buried Kahuna in the cave where I first met him. I decide to train Priscilla for a while to take down Dewford Gym. I fish for Tentacools (now they want to appear) for easy experience. I head to the Gym and dominate with Priscilla, though Brawly's Makuhita was one (Arm) Thrust away from potentially taking her down as well. Having earned the Knuckle Badge and TM 08 (Bulk Up), and having no more business on Dewford, I leave with Mr. Briney once more towards Slateport.

Team Magma Strikes Back
    Once in Slateport, I head to the shipyard where Capt. Stern works. An employee recognizes the items I had for him, but tells me the captain was not there, and asked if I would go look for him. As I was walking up the city, I noticed that a lot of those Team Magma goons were outside a Museum earlier, but now were nowhere to be seen. I entered the Museum, and sure enough its overrun with the thugs, including the one who gave me trouble in Rustboro and Petalburg woods! He saw me, and gave me a TM (46, Thief) in exchange for not chasing him. Luckily for him, I was in no situation to be drawing attention to myself. I went up to the second floor, and count Captain Stern. While talking to him, a couple of Team Magma grunts attacked. Priscilla took down the first Numel, and Vilma took down the second Zubat with Uproar (a proud moment, as the Zubat was 6 levels stronger!). But then, tragedy struck. Vilma hadn't settled down when the last pokemon, another Numel, was sent out, and was already damaged from the fight with the Zubat. I was unable to withdraw her, and the Numel attacked first with ember...it just took the one hit to take her out. Enraged, I threw out Priscilla and destroyed the last Numel.
    I was shaking in rage by the end, when the boss of Team Magma, Maxie, showed up. It was lucky for him that he chose to retreat (regardless of how he put it, claiming he would have won)...I was ready to take them all down. Sadly, there was nothing I could do for Vilma. I decided to set her resting place down by the beach. Unable to bear staying in the city where I lost two great companions, I packed my gear and headed north...

Summary
    Current Location: Route 107 (North of Slateport)
    Badges: 2/8

Current Team:
    Priscilla (Level 16 Female Ralts)
    Koi (Level 12 Female Magikarp)
    Geico (Level 16 Male Sceptile)
    Monarch (Level 10 Female Beautifly)
    OddFish (Level 13 Male Oddish)
    Mimsy (Level 7 Female Whismur).

Box: Empty

Dead:
    Goon (level 4 female Zigzagoon)
    Kahuna (Level 8 male Makuhita)
    Vilma (Level 9 female Whismur)

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Wow I've been posting the Wrong Deceased List xD

Anyways,I beat Morty with Joey Liz.

Then Boxed her for Pharaoh,the Natu.

It evolved in the Lake of Rage (Im taking the route Lake of Rage > Rocket > Water Route > Cianwood > What Ever Gym Feels more Best Atm)

Went to Olive,Caught a Krabby used it to surf to catch a Tentacool (Dezen)

Also The Leaf Stone Person Called me :D I now can evolve Flora.I also Caught a Mareep in the Grass (Amp) but died shortly after.

I choose not to catch the gyrados because I only had 4 Great Balls and I didnt want to take the risk of it K.Oing half of my team and end up not catching it.

About to Go into the Rocket Base

Team
    Spoiler:

Deceased
    Spoiler:

Domin-8

aka Unoringinally Funny
    Years
    UPDATE:
    Bought me some pokeballs and antidotes. As well as a parlz heal and burn heal.
    Caught Rattata (El Mouse) on Rt.1
    Caought Nidoran M (Stinger)on Rt 22.
    Caught Pidgey (Flapper)outside Viridian City (believe Rt. 2)
    First Wild battle in Viridian Forest was a Pikachu!!! Caught and named him Sparks
    Lost El Mouse to a Trained Lvl 6 Weedle.
    Lost Flapper to wild Caterpie
    Caught Weedle outside Pewter City.

Team ATM:
    Zippo JR lvl 16
    Beeman Lvl 11
    Stinger Lvl. 16
    Sparks Lvl. 11

Lost:
    El Mouse the Rattata Lv.3 -Lvl. 3
    Flapper the Pidgey Lv. 3 to Lv. 3

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I beat the Rocket Base,but Dezen had died to a Critical Hit Self Destruct (RIP Lvl 22 - Lvl 24)

Gas has evolved to Haunter then to Gengar.

I also caught a Poliwag (Slippy) and it has the most epic Abilty for Nuzlocke,Damp. Im going to be training it in Union Cave and going to evolve it to Politoad because It must evolve as soon as possible.

Team
    Spoiler:

Deceased
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Percia just died to Kangaskhan (RIP lvl 14 - Lvl 23).I'm going to use Pokeball (Voltorb I found in The Rocket Base) because I need something to counter Pyrce or I will take the Price (Pun xD)

Last edited:

Darksualc

Farm animal champion
    Years
    Firered Nuzlocke run

Grinded.
    Challenged the Elite Four

Lorelei: Easy because of Lamar's two lucky critical hits against Dewgong and Lapras. Keely took down Jynx.
    Bruno: Used Alger against the Onix's and Hitmonchan. Anna against the rest. Luckily Cross Chop missed.
    Agatha: Used a combination of Keely, Lamar and Jon. Jon died to a critical Sludge Bomb from Arbok.
    Lance: Used Lamar against Garydoes and sweept the rest with Alger.

Rival: His Rhydon nearly killed Alger who ended up with 2HP. Got a critical Fly against Venusaur which OHKO'ed it. Arcanine got a critical Flamethrower which killed Wanda. She saved the rest of the team by sacrificing herself.

So I'm done with the Nuzlocke run.

My team:
    Spoiler:

Box:
    Spoiler:

RIP:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    SO I ffinally made of my mind and will start a nuzlocke run. I will use following Rules:

1. If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it ASAP. You cannot use Revives.
    2. When you reach a new Route/Cave/Town/Ect. you can only catch the first Pokemon you see in that Area. You are allowed to have Pokemon in your PC box as "backup" for when you need new members to replace fainted ones.
    3. If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see for ANY reason then you've missed out on your chance to get a Pokemon from that area. Because of this rule, you cannot catch any Pokemon on Route 1, ect. if you saw one there.
    4. You may only buy up to 10 Pokeballs from each Pokemart.
    5. You are not allowed to use Legendary Pokemon.
    6. If a town contains Gift Pokemon, you may treat these as your captured Pokemon for said area. For example, the Eevee you obtain from Bill in Goldenrod.
    7. Nickname all of your Pokemon so you have an attachment to them. "Each Pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking." (Not really a required rule, but makes things fun.)
    8. If you black out (all party Pokemon faint) and you have no backups in your PC, it's Game Over.
    9. You are not allowed to use any healing items outside of battle.
    10. You are not allowed to switch out before the trainer sends in his next Pokemon. (Change that setting in the Options Menu)
    11. No trading between games, hacking pokemon, ect. You know, stay in the spirit of the challenge...

I will play on Emerald!
    I'll update soon,
    Urwaldbewohner

EDIT:
    Deleted my save file accidentally, won't participate anymore

Last edited:
    Years
    Oh wow, my last update was on page 6, the thread has gotten twice as big since :surprised:
    Anyways, today I actually did something. First, I made an overview jpg in Paint of this run, because I can't really remember which areas routes I have been to and which not after all the time.
    Then, I got an Ice Beam TM for the Swablu I had just recently caught before starting to procrastinate this run. Then I did some grinding. And then I decided I might update, mainly because I'm planning to get back to my old, in-depth update style (only for the team though).

Team
    Spoiler:

Box
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

RIP
    Spoiler:

Wow, that took a while to write up in a detailled way. But now I have my basis for more updates.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    Incidentally, I've been avoiding this so far, but can we use Potions and stuff during the battle? I'm more or less following standard rules on the first page btw, if that helps. I haven't been so far, but I'd like to know, as it would matter for how much I should level for gyms, etc.

Route 110
    I return to Route 110, and discover that the Team Mamga drill has finished. I continue forward (facing a trainer with a Plusle and a Minun), and notice that the route connects to route 103 on the west side! I decide to explore in that direction, taking out a few trainers. It seems that a small river splits the route in two...good to know for the future I guess! I walk back to continue on Route 110, and I notice a strange house. I walk into the empty house...except that I notice a small sparkle under the table! I check it out, and see a strange man who calls himself the Trick Master, who challenges me to find him in the next room. Curious, I follow, and I see a maze with many trees I could Cut. I teach Cut to OddFish, and make my way through the room, battling a few trainers and getting a few odd items. I finally see a scroll on the ground, but am challenged by a Jr. Trainer before I could get it. Things seemed to be going well...until his Zigzagoon used a critical hit Headbutt on Monarch, taking her down. I won the battle using Geico, but the loss hurt. Not only was she with me for a long time, but now I have only 5 pokemon left. I finish the house challenge (earning a Rare candy), but leave for the Pokemon center in Slateport to rest and to perform last rites for Monarch...

Ruto

Heiress to the Zora throne.
    Years
    An Ultimate Nuzlocke Challenge sounds about right. :classic:

I'll start relatively soon with Red.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Incidentally, I've been avoiding this so far, but can we use Potions and stuff during the battle? I'm more or less following standard rules on the first page btw, if that helps. I haven't been so far, but I'd like to know, as it would matter for how much I should level for gyms, etc.

According to the official rules, yes you can use healing items in-battle (but not outside of battle). The rules really are up to you though, the only 2 rules that are obligatory for Nuzlocke are that:

1) If a Pokemon faints, it's dead
    2) You can only catch one Pokemon per area

All other rules are optional. So it's really up to you; I've played without any healing items in OR out or battle up to this point, but I realised the Elite 4 would be ridiculous without healing items so I've altered the rules to say I'm not allowed healing items - until the E4...

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021

To be perfectly honest the only rules I'm following is

1.Faint = Death
    2.One Pokémon per Route
    3.Nickname (I nickname my Pokemon Anyways xD)

Because I follow Nuzlocke himself.The only rules he follows are those 2

Spoiler:

Proof is in the Spoiler

Edit:

After some Detouring (I caught a Golbat(Cliff Cave),Diglett(Route Right before Safari Zone), and NidoranM (Safari Zone) I beat Chuck with Pharaoh (Pluck :D) and Jasmine with underleveled Doug (Diglett) and Gas (Focus Blast OWNAGE :D)

Team
    Spoiler:

Deceased
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Okay, I am doing that Ultimate Nuzlocke Thingy.
    That means, I'll do the following :

~|| Pokemon Blue Nuzlocke (Emu') -- Pokemon SoulSilver Version (DSi) -- Pokemon Ruby Version (GBA SP) -- Pokemon Platinum (DSi) ||~

I shall proceed with Blue.

Years
    Alright, so I continued, but apparently today is not my lucky day as you will see. First, after beating some trainers south of Fallarbor with mainly Swablu, I killed the Zubat I encountered in Meteor Falls because I wasn't thinking. Then, I beat Maxie (without losses, but it was close) and Joducus one-hitted a Numel on Jagged Pass with a crit Gust. I did however get the Egg from Lavaridge.
    Flannery time. I had some bad Magnitude luck against the Slugmas, so Alba (Numel) was poisoned and at low HP after they went down. So, Torkoal gave me quite some problems... Long story short, after a long battle, my team looked like this:
    Spoiler:

I switched to Makuhita when Flannery went to Torkoal, and Sunny Day Overheat killed Makumita (Hariyama) in one hit. Then, I put it to sleep with Eogan (Swablu) and then tried to kill it with Cinzia (Manectric), but that didn't quite work because Torkoal woke up early and got a crit Bodyslam. Then, I put it to sleep gain, healed Alba (Numel) with a Soda Pop, switched, took a Body Slam and killed it off with Magnitude 7.
    RIP, Makuhita and Cinzia, I owe both of you a lot.

A proper update with the team and everything will follow after some rebuilding, and maybe even beating (?) Norman.

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Ok well I have an Idea.Im also goin to be Nuzlocking Moemon Fire Red Omega.(The sprites will be regular Pokemon Sprites,Unless I do screenshot captures)

Heart Gold

Spoiler:

Moemon FireRed Omega

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    So, I went into the Desert and got a Cacnea (from the route itself) and a Lileep (from Rustboro). With the new Cacnea, the Wynaut that soon hatched and my Spinda from the box, I was then having a full team again. I at fitrst was going to add Lileep instead of one of these, but when I looked at its movepool, I changed my mind.
    So, I grinded A LOT, got some evolutions and am now ready to enter Petalburg's gym.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Box:
    Spoiler:

Hell:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

-----

So, I did a ton of grinding before Norman right? So, did that help me against him? No. The battle went like this:
    Since he leads with a Slaking, I lead with Fawziya (Cacturne), for the Leech Seed. Slaking outspeeds Fawziya
    , uses Facade, it crits, Fawziya is dead. So I go to Alba (Camerupt). Magnitude did almost nothing to Slaking, but Facade did A TON. Alba died.
    I decide to use Somalior (Spinda), and actually kill of Slaking with Strength. So Norman sends out his second Slaking. So I Teeter Dance and...it uses FOCUS PUNCH. AAARGH. Second OHKO in this battle. Jedrzey (Wobbuffet) manages to kill Slaking with Counter, but gets reduced to 6 HP. Crap.
    So I go to Joducus (Beautifly) against Vigoroth and paralyze it. Big mistake, as Facade then proceeded to kill both Joducus and Eogan (Swablu) with ease. Somehow Jedrzey managed to beat Vigoroth with the help of some Soda Pops, but still, this battle went totally wrong.

This leaves me in the following situation:

Team:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

RIP:
    Spoiler:

Yeah, I'm pretty much screwed. Especially because I didn't get the Old Rod at Dewford and now I can't get back there. And nothing learns Surf. So is this run failed? Pretty much yes. Dammit. Why do I keep failing to beat games that aren't first and second generation? But I'm not giving up, I will start over. Sapphire it is this time. Because after failing both E386 and Ruby, this is the obvious thing to do. Third time's the charm.

ALRIGHT; HERE IT IS:
    Mondays suck's somewhat angry Sapphire Nuzlocke attempt:
    Gee, it sure is attention whoring in here.
    Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:

Time for another update, isn't it?
    Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:

I still have no boxed Pokemon D:
    So, it's time for some massive grinding (yet again), or Wattson will murder me as usual.

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    Ok, I'll do this challenge with my Ruby.

---

Now, I'm grinding my team in Route 104 North.
    Preparing for Roxanne, I'm going to evolve Chuck and Snorfle.

Torchic Lv. 14 (Chuck - Route 101)
    Wingull Lv. 14 (Tucan - Route 103)
    Ralts Lv. 13 (Emo - Route 102)
    Slakoth Lv. 13 (Snorfle - Petalburg Forest)

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Moemon Fire Red Omega

Okay this game is very,very addicting

After Intensive heaps of Grinding I beat Misty and her Annoying Seadra + Epic Togekiss

Spoiler:

Dead
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back