• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

WhippedCream

Greenhorn Trainer
Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2009
    Don't think like that! I was never gonna catch a shiny, then BAM. Chain of fifteen, I had earlier gotten it up to the 30's then it broke. I wanted to cry. I restarted chain, then I see this weird thing, but thought it was my imagination. I went to it. My Aron chain didn't brake, even though the patch had white on it. Aron was a common patch. *Arons Call* BLING! So, yeah. It's possible anywhere. I've heard of activate, then right away, shiny. I also got shiny starly at a chain of 8, so anything's possible! GL all!

You have a LOT of shinies. O__O' Well I guess I can keep at it, but I can't really keep a single chain that long...

idrum4all2see

Drummer for life
    Years
  • I only have 2 shinys
    A weavel (got it from a sneasel shiny by the lakefront snow place)
    and heatran.
    I dont use it and honestly hate it. Its one of the worst type combos ever :\
    But I wont trade it.

Years
  • I have a couple shinys. How can you tell them on the Poke Radar?
    There is a patch of grass that doesn't move, but SPARKLES... Go to my profile and check out the pictures. It looks kinda like four of the underground treasure sparkles on a patch of grass that is flashing...
    You have a LOT of shinies. O__O' Well I guess I can keep at it, but I can't really keep a single chain that long...
    Go to youtube and look at phcphc14's chaining guide. shuckochan's video helped me get the basics as well.
    I only have 2 shinys
    A weavel (got it from a sneasel shiny by the lakefront snow place)
    and heatran.
    I dont use it and honestly hate it. Its one of the worst type combos ever :\
    But I wont trade it.
    Did you use Pokeradar for the sneasel and SR for Heatran? Is the Weavile good?

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    currently I'm SRing zillions of times in leaf green to get a shiny starter to migrate then when i get one i'll play thru and soft reset till the end of time for shiny bird legends

btw what pokemon du guys think looks the coolest shiny
    mine are gyrados, charzard, deoxys, and Raquaza though i haven't seen all the shiny sprites so there are probably others I don't know yet

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    After a while you will find it shiny instead of normal. And yes, I do use Shinies in battle, soon to be flygon, eventually dialga, eventually salamence, and sometimes victreebell.
    are these shinies even good competetive battlers?
    to bad you can't raise your chances of breeding a shiny by making a shiny a parent then you could eventually get the nature you want for a shiny

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • are these shinies even good competetive battlers?
    to bad you can't raise your chances of breeding a shiny by making a shiny a parent then you could eventually get the nature you want for a shiny

I believe Shinies used to be stronger than normal Pokemon in Generation II due to the fact that they are determined by IV's. However, in Gen. III and IV, because they are based on Trainer ID and Personality Value, they are pretty much just like any other Pokemon except for the fact that they're different colored.

Bulbapedia said:
    Despite the bonus of backwards compatibility allowing for a shiny Pokémon to learn Generation I TMs, provided it was a Generation I Pokémon, shiny Pokémon are only slightly above average in terms of IVs.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • After a while you will find it shiny instead of normal. And yes, I do use Shinies in battle, soon to be flygon, eventually dialga, eventually salamence, and sometimes victreebell.

But does soft resetting work better (for finding shinies) than just walking around in the grass?

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    But does soft resetting work better (for finding shinies) than just walking around in the grass?
    you have the same chances unless your chaining
    SRing is for legendary pokemon or pokemon your given like Evee, which I unfortunatly forgot about and save after obtaining
    it also works for eggs but you have to save before yu receive the egg since that when all the values and stuff is determoned about the pokemon
    i also made the mistake of saving after when I received the Riolu egg...

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • you have the same chances unless your chaining
    SRing is for legendary pokemon or pokemon your given like Evee, which I unfortunatly forgot about and save after obtaining
    it also works for eggs but you have to save before yu receive the egg since that when all the values and stuff is determoned about the pokemon
    i also made the mistake of saving after when I received the Riolu egg...

Oh I see... This is getting a bit off topic but since you mentioned eggs: So you have to save before you receive the egg, and once the daycare man/Riley or whomever gives you the egg hands it to you, then the IV's/gender/if it's gonna be a shiny or not factor is already determined? So if you're aiming for a shiny then you gotta keep restarting before the person gives you the egg right?

WhippedCream

Greenhorn Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2009
    In my leaf green, I've been soft resetting for over a month now for a shiny bulbasaur. This gets QUITE frustrating... -_-'

Years
  • The highest chain I can get to is like 12 :-( then it breaks, even when i keep going to the same type of shaking grass. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to be more patient?

Last edited:

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    Oh I see... This is getting a bit off topic but since you mentioned eggs: So you have to save before you receive the egg, and once the daycare man/Riley or whomever gives you the egg hands it to you, then the IV's/gender/if it's gonna be a shiny or not factor is already determined? So if you're aiming for a shiny then you gotta keep restarting before the person gives you the egg right?
    yeah but instead of doing that i just fill up my party with 5 eggs and i keep hatching over and over I suggest a magikarp since it takes least amount of steps and would eventually turn into a red scale gyrados!

wus6r

pokemon expert
    Years
  • me and my two friends started pokemon diamond and pearl today and we got a shiny starter each. i restarted my leaf green got shiny charmander, resterted my emerald and got shiny treeko and then shiny cyndiquil and rayaquza (played non stop for twenty hours and trading)
    i'm getting these on my first tries. am i just realy lucky cuz i'm having no luck on girls (just got dumped)

KodiakBlackout

Espionage Expert
    Years
  • i have a couple of questions . .

well, i seem to be doing everything right, and only pick the right patches, but the chain still breaks =( i cant get past 20 cos of this =[ what am i doing wrong?

and where is the best place to go and chain? im not bothered about what it is as long as its not starly, shinx or kricketune lol. ino swarming pokemon are easier to chain, but i want some non swarm shinies

kk thanks

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • i have a couple of questions . .

well, i seem to be doing everything right, and only pick the right patches, but the chain still breaks =( i cant get past 20 cos of this =[ what am i doing wrong?

and where is the best place to go and chain? im not bothered about what it is as long as its not starly, shinx or kricketune lol. ino swarming pokemon are easier to chain, but i want some non swarm shinies

kk thanks

To Question 1, the chain won't always hold up. It can break even when you follow the rules. But following the rules significantly decreases your chances of the chain breaking. Don't worry, practicing will help pull your chain up higher.

And the Question 2, Either the patch area above Jubilife (i've managed to get a Shiny Shinx and Ralts here), or the patch area in the Route below Vielstone but right above Valor Lakefront. There's not much there but it is a larger and easier place to chain.

Years
  • I have a shiny Buizel. Bit rubbish I know. But I had caught it without the radar. It was just after the Elite four I had gone back there and gone down the waterfall into the mountain and through the cave door that opened up. My very fist pokemon on route 224 was the shiny one. But I didn't know it was shiny, I didn't notice it sparkle. I thought it was like the Gastrodon and just the east sea version. wasnt untill I asked my friend weeks later if she had the east sea one she was like what's that. Because it was a rubbish Buizel I had never taken it out to battle so i never noticed it sparkle nor noticed the red star. My friend reacted by swearing and calling me names. I did appreciate it a bit more since then, trained it a bit but got bored.

I'd much rather have a shiny growlithe lol.

Back