• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The Old Standbys or a Brand-Spanking-New Team?

Pezz

All Washed Up
Years
  • With the impending release of the R/G remakes, this thread is to discuss whether you'll train a team of Pokemon that you've enver trained before, or your favorite team from the old days? This was inspired by a topic at some other forum, I forget which one though -.-;;

I'm definately gonna train my old Red team. *gets nostalgic*

In case anyone was wondering, it was...

Venusaur
    Butterfree
    Nidoking
    Raichu
    Starmie
    Arcanine

Gosh, I used to love those guys XD.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Mewtwo.

You lose. Unless you have Mewtwo. Then I win if mine has Amnesia. Your does too? I guess we'll have to see who freezes who first with Ice Beam.

Seriously, that's a lot of what it comes down to. As for what I'll raise in-game... I had every Pok?mon trained to 100 by having them in my team at one point. Well, all the fully evolved ones. I played thousands of hours of RBY, with countless new games and dozens of level 100 teams with no candies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • i actually started to play pokemon games only at the metallic generation... hmm but i'm sure that i'll be using Chansey! I heard that it has some insane special stats (special is still one stat back then)... so throw in double team and softboil... and you got a happy easter egg that is actually very very evil.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Although you started with GSC, did you ever go back and play some RBY?

Ever played any online RBY?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • no and no... but i do have some basic knowledge about it. Don't bother teaching me the online RBY as you're just wasting your effort. Better to spent those effort in your "hw" (or should i say "home school work"?) or hop over to the internet and find the Lufia 2 rom immediately (great great RPG game that i'll really suggest RPG lover to play)

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I guess I should check that out.

The Red/Blue/Yellow metagame was a mess. Only around thirty-two usable Pok?mon, an unbeatable type, etc...

I do love the fact that Slash and Razor Leaf are almost always a critical hit, it makes Slash effectivly have 140 power, and Razor Leaf 110.

When I was little, I though Quick Attack was more powerful than Slash because when I did three Swords Dances, and then did them both Quick Attack did more due the negation of stat upers during a critical hit.

Years
  • Hmm, probably I'll use a new team, but I do love my Red team. It is:
    Mew
    Mewtwo
    Charizard
    Blastoise
    Zapdos
    Snorlax.
    I'm still trying to get a Venusaur to replace Snorlax, but that has yet to happen. Defintely gonna want more dragons this time around though.

Q Man

Erm...
    Years
  • I'll become a Nido* trainer ^_^ My Lv 100 Nidoking was unbeatable, even against a good few Lv 100 Psychic types (Thrash is such a powerful physical move, combined with the fact that it can learn Fire Blast, Bubblebeam, AND Thunder as well)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I don't remember what exactly my old Blue team was, but I think it was:
    Blastoise
    Raichu
    Charizard
    Venusaur
    Mewtwo
    Dragonite
    (I traded alot back then^^)
    but I know for sure I'll be using something like:
    Blastoise
    Ninetales
    Victreebel (it may actually be good this time around)
    Alakazam (back in the old days, I never thought this was even powerful)
    Gengar (maybe I can effectively counter Psychics with this...if shadow ball is in the game)
    Dodrio (without Skarmory, this goes back to its formor glory)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • but it'll probably has the new moves too like Will o wisp will still be there for Vulpix for example... it won't be an EXACT remake... so the old "unbeatables" on your old RBY team may not be so unbeatable anymore...

btw, if you have a Mewtwo in your old RBY team, you only need it as your only Pokemon on your team. It beats anyone anytime except for another Mewtwo... then you just see who amnesia-ed more (as special is "one stats") and who can cause status on each other first (like freeze or burn... etc).

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Actually, Chansey does okay if it can freeze it soon enough, and if it ca, Parasect can come out, use Swords Dance, and Leech Life it to KO. =3

Years
  • Funny, Mewtwo wasn't nearly as "unbeatable" when I traded him into silver. And now three other Pokemon have base stats on his level. Oh, and I will make a new party, since I never played the originals fully through

Jirachi

is made of gold
    Years
  • Yes, you could trade R/S Pokemon to Fire Red &
    Leaf Green. You should add some R/S Pokemon in your Teams. It is true!

Sturm

Kurokoneko
    Years
  • My team is going to be...(I hope there will be a steel and dark type also item like metal coat to get steelix and scizor)
    Charizard
    Umbreon
    Magneton
    Scizor
    Steelix
    Dragonite

If not:
    Charizard
    Magneton
    Gyarados
    Dragonite
    Jolteon
    Tangela

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Jirachi said:
    Hello, you can TRADE R/S POKEMON TO THESE GAMES!

We don't know that for 100% sure. Trading may only be upstream from FR/LG not downstream.

Arore

I Like to Kill Things
    Years
  • My team would be: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Arcanine, Nidoking, and Gyarados I suppose. I use all kinds, so I can't really say.

Back