• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • ITS THE FINAL GYM BADGE *Insert Trumpets*
    -Bumped into Team Magma at the Mossdeep Space Center..took them out, like a hero should.
    -Got Dive, went on a misson to get stuff.
    -Visited Sootoplis City, as I got confused.
    -Surfed for ....a rediculously obsured amount of time which made me want to rage quit, but instead I had a bit of a break from Pokemon.
    -After finding my way... Thanks IGN.. I arrived at Seafloor Cavern. (Bear in Mind now I have visited Pacifidlog as well). Took out Team Aqua.
    -Did all the work required for the Rayquazza/Groundon/Kyrougue Quest.
    -Defetaed Juan of Sootopolis using Dong's Shock Wave on Luvdisc, Crawdaunt and Sealeo, and Dong's Confusion on Whishcash and Kingdra.(I set up Calm Mind's on Luvdisc, if anyone's wondering how I did this.) Got the Rain Badge and the Water Pulse TM.

TEAM REPORT
    All Opinions will be left till end game
    Spoiler:

I'm on my way to Evergrande City...Not quite Viridian is it :(
    -Surfed to Evergrade City.
    -Healed and headed into Victory Road.
    -Took on Wally and defeated him using Horny's Rock Blast on Altaria, Blitz'd's Overheat on Roselia, Dong's Shock Wave (after 6 Calm Mind's) on Gardevoir, Cannon's Surf on Delcatty and Horny's Earthquake on Magneton.
    -Got out Alive :D
    -Went and got some TM's and Item's and to Levelled up a bit to face the Elite 4.
    -Horny evolved into Rhydon aswell :D

TEAM REPORT
    All Opinions will be left till end game
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Finale
    SIDNEY
    Spinner VS Mightyena-Spinner win with Close Combat.
    Spinner VS Shiftry-Shiftry win with Extrasensory.
    Blitz'd VS Shiftry-Blitz'd win with Overheat.
    Horny VS Absol-Horny win with Earthquake.
    Dong VS Crawdaunt-Dong win with Shock Wave.
    Blitz'd VS Cacturne-Blitz'd win with Overheat

PHEOBE
    Blitz'd VS Dusclops- Blitz'd win with Shadow Ball.
    Cannon VS Dusclops-Dusclops win with Earthquake.
    Horny VS Dusclops-Horny win with Earthquake.
    Dong VS Banette-Banette win with Shadow Ball.
    Cloud 9 VS Banette-Cloud 9 win with Dragon Dance Boosted Fly.
    Cloud 9 VS Sableye-Cloud 9 win with Fly.
    Cloud 9 VS Banette-Cloud 9 win with Fly.

GLACIA
    Dong VS Sealeo-Dong win with Calm Mind boosted Psychic.
    Dong VS Glalie-Dong win with Psychic.
    Dong VS Glalie-Dong win with Psychic.
    Dong VS Sealeo-Dong win with Psychic.
    Dong VS Walrein-Dong win with Psychic.

DRAKE
    Dong VS Shelgon-Dong win with +6 Psychic.
    Dong VS Flygon-Dong win with Psychic.
    Dong VS Salamence-Salamence win with Dragon Claw.
    Cannon VS Salamence-Cannon win with Ice Beam.
    Cannon VS Altaria-Altaria win with Aerial Ace.
    Blitz'd VS Altaria-Altaria win with Aerial Ace.
    Spinner VS Altaria- Spinner win with +6 Facade.
    Spinner VS Kingdra-Spinner win with Brick Break.

WALLACE
    Spinner VS Wailord--Wailord win with Water Spout.
    Cannon VS Wailord-Wailord win with Blizzard.
    Cloud 9 VS Wailord-Wailord win with Water Spout.
    Dong VS Wailord-Dong win with Shock Wave.
    Dong VS Tentacruel--Dong win with +4 Psychic.
    Dong VS Ludicolo-Dong win with +6 Psychic.
    Dong VS Whishcash-Dong win with Psychic.
    Dong VS Gyrados-Dong win with Psychic.
    Dong VS Milotic-Dong win with Psychic.

VICTORYYYY !!!
    3 outta 5 now complete :D

TEAM REPORT
    Spoiler:

Awards
    The One Most Valuable Pokemon-Dong
    The One Least Valuable Pokemon-Spinner
    The One with the Best Moveset-Cannon or Blitz'd
    The One with the Worst Moveset-Spinner
    The One Trick Pony-Dong
    The One that Needed the Most Revives-Horny
    The One that Underachieved-Spinner or Horny.
    The One that Overachieved-Dong
    The One that was an Unstoppable Force-Dong
    The One that Beat the Odds (a Pokemon that repeatedly beat types it's weak against, or defied its low stats with a towering performance)-Blitz'd.
    The One I'll Use Again-All
    The One I Wish I'd Never Used-None
    The One with the Most Awesome Typing-Cannon
    The One Gym Destroyer-Dong
    The One Elite Four Destroyer-Dong
    The One that Wouldn't Stay Down-Cloud 9
    The One that Wouldn't Stay Up-Spinner
    The One that Levelled Up the Quickest-Dong
    The One that Always Lagged Behind-Horny
    The One that Annoyed the Most Opponents-Dong
    The One your Rival Feared-Spinner or Horny

Name:Kimbo
    Game:Platinum.
    # Of Pokes: 6
    Ones that got away:
    Spoiler:

Additional Rules: Atleast one from each generation, a mixture of types, a flyer and a surfer.

Years
  • Kimbo, your pokes are Pinsir Miltank Huntail Tangrowth Steelix and Delibird

Good Luck!

As for me... my updates for both firered and diamond will come soon, probably today. I've just been lazy :D

Thanks Golurk, I'll start soon hacking all 6 in...Only Tangela will evolve in game due to me using an emulator so I can't trade.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Hey guys, sorry it's been a while since I last posted/updated the challenge, I'm staying in Spain for a couple of months and the internet was down for the whole of the last week. It's back now though, so I've added мσятε gғx™, Reader_Maniac and GolurkIsDaBomb (again!) to the Challengers list.

Kimbo, I've also updated your Ultimate Challengers bit and added your Hoenn team to the Champions list. Good to see you enjoyed using Flareon as much as I thought you might... hopefully between us we can start repairing the poor 'mon's reputation! Glad I can always rely on you for regular updates! :)

EDIT: of course I've also added you to the DPPt Challengers list. Good luck, that's an interesting team you've got there! Always wondered what Huntail was like.

I'll sign up for the Ultimate Challenge of Leafgreen, Silver, Ruby, Pearl, and White

I remember my first Diamond game where I wanted to use Kricketune but he died so much, and I used my Crobat until Sunnyshore where I went to the Shaymin event, and I chose my Straptor over it. I look forward to using Crobat and Kricketune in te Pearl one, but I'll start with Leafgreen.

pokedude123456, I've added you to the Challengers list but you need to post a list of Pokemon for people to choose a team for you. If you've already started your Kanto run then don't worry, I won't make you restart, but when it comes to the next leg of your Ultimate challenge then you'll need to stick to them rules! :)

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Name: Danny
    Game: Ruby
    List of Pokemon that got away: Butterfree, Beedrill, Fearow, Arbok, Cloyster, Gengar, Lapras, Flareon, Xatu, Wobbuffet, Houndoom, Linoone, Shiftry, Nosepass, Flygon, Duskull, Tropius, Absol, Glalie, Torkoal
    Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Fly&Surf

Years
  • Hey guys, sorry it's been a while since I last posted/updated the challenge, I'm staying in Spain for a couple of months and the internet was down for the whole of the last week. It's back now though, so I've added мσятε gғx™, Reader_Maniac and GolurkIsDaBomb (again!) to the Challengers list.

Kimbo, I've also updated your Ultimate Challengers bit and added your Hoenn team to the Champions list. Good to see you enjoyed using Flareon as much as I thought you might... hopefully between us we can start repairing the poor 'mon's reputation! Glad I can always rely on you for regular updates! :)

EDIT: of course I've also added you to the DPPt Challengers list. Good luck, that's an interesting team you've got there! Always wondered what Huntail was like.

Glad to hear your back Sammu.
    Yes, definately needs more praise, or Gamefreak needs to give it Flare Blitz so haters stop hating :). Wish I'd been more regular however having Football Manager and Xbox and I've just started getting into Naruto, so I've back tracked and I'm watching that back from the VERY START.

Huntail is interesting to say the least hahah

anyway enough OT, UPDATE !!
    Is Rowan a Tree?
    -Started a new game.
    -Named Rival Barry.
    -Hacked in my team level 5, gave all an egg move, for fun, all are legal.
    -Did story stuff.
    -Headed up to Jublife, did all the things there, headed out to Oreburgh.
    -Defeated Barry on the way using Anaconda's Rollout against Starly and Chimchar.
    -Arrived in Oreburgh, went to meet Roark, took on the gym.
    -Defeated Roark using WildThing's Ingrain, then Sleep Powder and Absorb on Geodude and Onix, and Piranha's Whirlpool on Cranidos .Got the Mine Badge and the Stealth Rock TM.

Team Info
    Spoiler:

Please tell me if the more detailed opinions on movesets and Pokemon and stuff is appreciated/adds to it or if the shorter ones were better :)

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    FUN FACT: It took 5 years for me to get Huntail and Gorebyss the right way round.

Ha, Gorebyss really doesn't suit that slender, graceful thing does it. GORE! ABYSS! You'd think it'd look something more like Groudon, but no. It's Miltoic mixed with Luvdisc.

Please tell me if the more detailed opinions on movesets and Pokemon and stuff is appreciated/adds to it or if the shorter ones were better :)

MOAR DEETALE

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    Name: Chirp
    Game: Leafgreen
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 5
    Any specific reqirements: Surfer

Years
  • Here you are chirp! Good Luck!

Raticate
    Rapidash
    Muk
    Onix
    Starmie

As for me
    , my updates will arrive soon for anyone who cares haha. I've been pretty busy and kind of lazy, but will try to upload them before April vacation since I will be out of commission.
    Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    So I decided to go for a second playthrough of White and I wanted to try some stuff I hadn't used before. This challenge sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Name:
    ahungryhamster
    Game: White
    List of Pokemon that got away: Sandile, Scraggy, Joltik, Lotad, Bidoof, Kricketot, Meditite, Lilipup, Omanyte, Cacnea, Croagunk, Venipede, Tropius, Murkrow, Remoraid, Anorith, Kangaskhan, Grimer
    Any specific requirements: Would like a Surfer and a Flyer on my team.

Years
  • Here you are chirp! Good Luck!

Raticate
    Rapidash
    Muk
    Onix
    Starmie

As for me
    , my updates will arrive soon for anyone who cares haha. I've been pretty busy and kind of lazy, but will try to upload them before April vacation since I will be out of commission.
    Good luck to everyone!

Dude I care, your updates made me stop lulling around, I'm determined to be the 1st to go and finish the ultimate challenege here first, and with Tachikaze not playing as much on this challenge I took my time, however with you catching up (and with your excellent quality updates) I've had to up my game hahah :)

So I decided to go for a second playthrough of White and I wanted to try some stuff I hadn't used before. This challenge sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Name:
    ahungryhamster
    Game: White
    List of Pokemon that got away: Sandile, Scraggy, Joltik, Lotad, Bidoof, Kricketot, Meditite, Lilipup, Omanyte, Cacnea, Croagunk, Venipede, Tropius, Murkrow, Remoraid, Anorith, Kangaskhan, Grimer
    Any specific requirements: Would like a Surfer and a Flyer on my team.

Hey there, take Scraggy, Joltik, Murkrow, Remoraid, Sandile and Croagunk. They are 6 pokemon I've really enjoyed using in the past (in remoraids case in this very challenge) so I hope you enjoy them too :)

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    Hey there, take Scraggy, Joltik, Murkrow, Remoraid, Sandile and Croagunk. They are 6 pokemon I've really enjoyed using in the past (in remoraids case in this very challenge) so I hope you enjoy them too :)

Sweet. Yeah, Remoraid/Octillery's a Pokemon I've had my eye on for a while, but I tend to pick the water starters so I don't use many other water types.

Years
  • In the Galatic Garden.
    -Headed back to Jublife City, defeated the Galatic Grunts.
    -Did some Rock Smash stuff with my HM Slave in that tiny cave.
    -Made my way to Floroma.
    -Did story stuff there.
    -Defeated Commander Mars.
    -Headed on up to Eterna Forrest.
    -Went through Eterna Forrest with Cheryl and her chansey.
    -Leveled my team up to level 15 whilst I had infinite healing.
    -Entered Eterna City, did some stuff about town, trained on the route to the right, took on Eterna Gym.
    -Defeated Gardenia using Jaw's Faint Attack on Turtwig, Food Inc's Stomp on Cherrim and Wild Thing's Confusion on Roserade. Got the Forest Badge and Grass Knot TM from Gardenia.

Team Info
    Spoiler:

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    Pokemon White - Update #1: Beginning of the Game, Punching Things is Fun

After transferring off all of the good Pokemon I had on my old White file (there weren't many, I didn't play White all that much after I beat it) I started a fresh game. Picked up a Snivy as my starter (named Sir Vine). He's not a team member, but I did like using him for the first bit of the game. Good defenses + a couple of Growths = one gentleman snake you don't want to mess with.

I hadn't realized going in how long it would take before I'd be able to trade in my team members. I went through the first few rival battles, gym, and first Galactic encounter with Sir Vine (and Aquape the Panpour when Sir Vine got knocked out by Chili's Pansear. I really hate the elemental monkeys though so I only used him because I had to). By the time I was ready to transfer over my real time, Sir Vine was at lv15 and Aquape was at lv11.

Post-transfer, my team now consisted of Sarcos the Sandile, Ziggy the Scraggy, Dart the Croagunk, Rachna the Joltik, Selene the Murkrow, and Howitzer the Remoraid. I went through Route 3 and reached Nacrene City without much incident. Fought N and beat him easily (he never seems very difficult, except maybe at the end of the game). I entered the gym but then realized I could go fight some trainers near the Pinwheel Forest first so I did that.

After that was done, I went back to the gym and took it on. The trainers were all easy to beat, thanks to both Ziggy and Dart being fighting-types. Lenora, similarly, was also little trouble.

I'd like to point out at this point that some of the Pokemon I transferred over have egg moves that are a bit powerful for this point in the game. Namely Drain Punch, with 75 base power, on both Ziggy and Dart. With STAB and the added bonus of restoring HP, I almost feel like I'm cheating by having such strong moves. But eh, hopefully the difficulty will rise as the game goes on.

Anyway, I've just gone through Pinwheel Forest and reached Castelia City. Team stats and thoughts so far in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

Wow, that took a while to type up. Are people interested in reading all this stuff or should I try to cut down for future updates?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2013
    Name: Pringle
    Game: Diamond
    List of Pokemon that got away: Ekans, Ponyta, Grimer, Gastly, Voltorb, Cubone, Lapras, Kabuto, Yanma, Teddiursa, Swinub, Corsola, Miltank, Carvanha, Spoink, Cacnea, Baltoy, Spheal, Beldum, Budew, Mime Jr, Riolu, Skorupi and Croagunk.
    Number required :6
    Any specific requirements: One that can use surf and one that can use fly, pokemon in bold are ones i would really like to use, most pokemon will be evolved.

Last edited:

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    Name: Pringle
    Game: Diamond
    List of Pokemon that got away: Ekans, Ponyta, Grimer, Gastly, Voltorb, Cubone, Lapras, Kabuto, Yanma, Teddiursa, Swinub, Corsola, Miltank, Carvanha, Spoink, Cacnea, Baltoy, Spheal, Beldum, Budew, Mime Jr, Riolu, Skorupi and Croagunk.
    Number required :6
    Any specific requirements: One that can use surf and one that can use fly, pokemon in bold are ones i would really like to use, most pokemon will be evolved.

Kabuto, Cacnea, Ekans, Mime Jr, Miltank

You didn't list anything that can use Fly so I suppose you can either pick a Flyer out yourself for your last team member, or list a couple Flyers you'd like to use and let someone in the thread pick one out.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Pokemon White - Update #1: Beginning of the Game, Punching Things is Fun

Hopefully Dart will start learning some new moves soon so he can form his own niche on the team, rather than being a second-rate version of one of the other team members.

Hmm... it's a shame his nature is Adamant, the Toxicroak I had on my Ones That Got Away SoulSilver challenge was a potent mixed attacker. I'd say that could be Dart's niche, but maybe not if his Sp.Atk is compromised... He can learn Nasty Plot though, right?

Are people interested in reading all this stuff or should I try to cut down for future updates?

More detail is always appreciated :) I like reading other people's thoughts. It makes me more interested in using certain Pokemon when I see other people enjoying them.

EDIT: forgot to mention, added all the new Challengers to the list. Enjoy your runs, people!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back