• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The overrated+underated list

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    Just post anything pokemon that you think is overrated or underrated.This means the pokemon games, to the anime, and everything in between.My list is

Overrated-Piplup,Pikachu,All three seasons invloving Diamond and Pearl, The Fire-Fighting starters, Darkrai, Charmander, and Lucario

Underrated-Johto(not by the true fans, but basically by everyone else.) Turtwig,Typhlosion,Pidgeot,Arceus(think about it, if he's so bashed about being overrated, then doesn't that make him underrated?)and Leafgreen(everyone likes Firered just because Charizard's on the cover)

Remeber overrated doesn't mean it sucks, it just means it's not as good as everyone says it is.

Last edited:

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Lets see

Over Rated:

Rayquaza
    Ash's Pikachu
    Chimchar
    Mewtwo
    Hoenn (well by some people it is)
    Deoxis

Well thats my over rated list (couldnt come up with anything else) so now heres my underrated list

Under Rated:

Celebi
    Magikarp
    Squirtle
    Pichu (why cant anybody take this cutie seriously?)
    Jirachi (the only reason why I can think its under rated is because of the "third eye")
    Plusle
    Minun (come one they are so adorable and they make a kick ass team)

Well thats all about I can come up with

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    This is sort of off topic, but I have my reasons for thinking pikachu is overrated.You see, I raised one up to level 100and do you know what it's defense was?66!

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Overrated:

- Pikachu: I like it, but nothing could live up to Pikachu's rating.

Underrated:

- Crobat: I do really like Crobat, but it's really good in-game. I can't say its that good in competitive battling, but in-game its great. I think the reason most people underrate it is because its a slow starter (like pseudo-legendaries :P) with Zubat at the lower levels. Training with Leech Life, Astonish and even Bite is painful. But once you reach Wing Attack it gets a lot more powerful. But I've trained one in most of my in-game teams and every time it becomes my most powerful Pokemon, even when at lower levels than the others.

This is sort of off topic, but I have my reasons for thinking pikachu is overrated.You see, I raised one up to level 100and do you know what it's defense was?66!

Wow, it must of had like 0 Defence IVs and EVs and a negative nature. Because Pikachu's level 100 stat range for Defence is 58-174

Oh and I've never seen any evidence of Johto being underrated by anyone. The only people who don't seem to absolutely love it are the newer players.

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    "Oh and I've never seen any evidence of Johto being underrated by anyone. The only people who don't seem to absolutely love it are the newer players."

But since at least half of the pokemon players are retarted little newbies who've only heard of Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Pallet Town, I believe it's underrated.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Overrated:

-Eevee. OH BOY HOWDY, EEVEE. Every one of its evolutions is so blatantly and horribly overrated, especially the ones that suck. See, the Eeveelutions that don't horribly suck (Vaporeon especially, but slightly Jolteon, too.) aren't overly talked about by the fanboys of this site. But all the ones that do, like Espeon, Glaceon, Leafeon and Flareon, are so overly loved by everyone and they suck so badly it's not even funny. (Umbreon, the only other Eeveelution not mentioned, is moderately useful, but is possibly THE most overrated one of all of them because its shiny is so CASH MAH HOMIE G-DAWG YO)

-Lucario. It's useful in actuality, but it's so loved by furries and fanboys alike it makes me sick. Everything about Lucario, other than its Brawl character, disgusts me. Especially because its closeups make it look like an angry kitten with bones for hands, and its far shots show those reuplsive parachute pants. Blaziken doesn't look cool in them, shut up. Speaking of;

-All Fire-type starters. All of them again are so loved, and aside from Infernape, all of them suck. Blaziken is the only one who doesn't get shafted in the balls by Stealth Rock, and even he is inferior to Infernape and has little usefulness in compared to a ton of Pokemon. Typhlosion is absolute garbage, yet everyone loves him because he's so "cool-looking". BS; there's nothing sleek about its design. It's random, out-there, and it's clearly trying too hard to be cool. And Charizard...Charizard is just not that great. I like it, but Stealth Rock really killed it...

-Legendaries in general. Even those that are decent are so horribly overhyped by Pokemon's dumbest fans at the greatest Pokemon in the game. Especially Rayquaza, who can be OHKO'd by a freakin' Cloyster. :V

-Fire-types in general. Again, like the starters, they just get so much attention when they're so easily beaten ingame because of Stealth Rock and in general a sucky selection of good Fire-types. Heatran is the most useful Fire-type, then Infernape, and from there, it goes horribly downhill.

-Johto. I've written walls of text on the suggestion thread of it; the tl;dr vesion is: It sucked without Kanto, it was horribly unbalanced, and it was done very hurriedly and poorly, and the remake was so ridiculously overhyped and oversaturated. It was disappointing and didn't live up to the massive amount of hype it had created. And it has the WORST Pokemon in it; without Hoenn and especially Sinnoh giving their absolutely worhtless Pokemon much-needed evolutions, it was, IMO, the worst region of the franchise. Yet so many people love it, and I don't get why.

(I also laugh at anyone who thinks SHOW Pokemon are overrated; you have to be part of the fandom to overrate it; Pikachu and Piplup are WESLEYS, not overrated. Know the difference.)

Underrated:

-A lot of Pokemon dismissed as "ugly". Heatran and his fugly face will eat you if you're not careful. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you're only going to use Pokemon because of aesthetic appeal, good luck winning a battle...ever.

-Toxicroak. I just think it can be OU and doesn't get the usage it gets. :V

I can't think of many more underrated Pokemon. It's mostly the overrated Pokemon I can think of.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Wesleys are characters the fandom hates, but the writers write up more and more and more and more, almost ignoring how hated they are. Overpromoting them and such.

Read this. It oughta explain things.

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    kay, I got it,taking every person in the anime off my overated list, but I'm not taking Pikachu and Piplup off, because I think they're overrated them as pokemon in general.I mean come on,if I made a poll right now on the best sinnoh starter, I'd bet everything I own that Piplup would win.I'm ranting aren't I?Sorry about that.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Except that Pikachu definitely isn't one. And it's best not to use small 'in' group terms without explaining them. It makes it impossible to even Google the term to get the meaning.

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    Except that Pikachu definitely isn't one. And it's best not to use small 'in' group terms without explaining them. It makes it impossible to even Google the term to get the meaning.

A what, wesley or overrated?

By the way, anyone else getting the Arceus that's coming out on Saturday? Everyone who does gets to EV train Dialga,Palkia or Giratina!

Last edited:

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    Underrated definitely includes Crobat, Weezing, Electrode, Clefable, Starmie, and Glalie (now in the shadow of Froslass)

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    Again, yay Crobat! I was going to put him on my SS team, but I had way to many flying types, and no ground types. and I just don't like Weezings.If you were me in Leafgreen, you'd know exactly why I hate Weezings.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    A what, wesley or overrated?

By the way, anyone else getting the Arceus that's coming out on Saturday? Everyone who does gets to EV train Dialga,Palkia or Giratina!

Overrated certainly isn't a small group term. :P

Dialga911

32 badge trainer
    Years
    I don't even know what small group term means.but that's just young,stupid,and naive me.

And about the Arceus thing, no one else is getting it? Well, no one else on this thread lives in the US, so probably not.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I'll hopefully be getting the Australian one when it comes out, ironically (fore the US), Thursday.

And by small group term, I just mean a term only used by a small group of people. ;)

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Except that Pikachu definitely isn't one.

Its accomplishments far extend the ability the species in general has. It, in theory, OHKO'd a Regice with Volt Tackle. Without a Light Ball, that's virtually impossible.

How is it not a Wesley? It's clearly defying the limitations placed on its species (Read: 55 base Attack vs. both legendary rule and 80/100 defenses.), yet the writers obviously made it win that battle just because they'd gotten tired of making Ash lose, and it gave Pikachu a chance to prove itself...in the 400+ episodes it had been in the anime by that point.

Look at this thread: The fandom can't freakin' stand the little rodent. Yet it's made to uberpwn everything. Perhaps, though, the writers have realized this, and since thrown the infamous reset button at its face, hard. If I remember correctly, Pikachu hasn't been the driving force of Ash's team since Oreburgh, and that's without even remembering if Pikachu was even used in the battle or not. If I'm wrong, then the last time Pikachu was ever used in an important battle was in the battle I'd mentioned earlier, at least 150 weeks ago (almost three years).

However, it still stands; It beat Dragonite. It beat a Metagross. It's beaten species who, in theory, should've laid absolute waste to the damn thing with even the weakest of attacks.

Why do you think the fandom nicknames it "Uberchu"?

However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, since it's become much less of a Wesley of late...it hasn't gotten as much attention as Sir Spotlight Stealing Squad, Buizel, or the new Pokemon mascot, attention junkie uberwesley Piplup. Monferno in its Chimchar days also got a lot of unwarranted attention in an attempt to be the poster child for PETA's hilarious ramblings of pet abuse.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Overated:
    Piplup, my most hated starter. salamence, because it exists in every OU team. Blissey, the best Special wall, but it is sooooo weak to physical attacks.

Underated:
    Cradily. NU? WTF?! If you use it right, it can block both physical and special attacks easily. If it can survive a Bulk Up, STAB technician Mach Punch from hitmontop, and still live after a surf from tentacruel (right after the Mach Punch), I think it's good enough for OU.

Every other rock type. They are all stuck in NU or UU (except Tyranitar and Aerodactyl), but they can cause havoc to even the best planned Grass/fighting/water teams will fall to their might. (I once beat an Uber Ground team with rock types. XD)
    so yeah.

Back