• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokemon Acquisition Challenge

zapht

The Family Ghost
    Years
    The Pokemon Acquisition Challenge
    In an attempt to make the game seem more like what goes on in the actual tv show, as well as just give players a different kind of challenge, i have created the "Pokemon Acquisition Challenge" in which players can only use pokemon given to them by NPC characters in the game.

Rules:
    - Only G/S/C versions
    - Emulators are allowed
    - You can only use pokemon aquired through other in-game NPCs (i.e. Oaks starter, bills Eeevee, Tyrogue, etc)
    - you may use ONE other pokemon of your choice
    - you may not use legendary pokemon ( ho-oh, lugia, 3 dogs, mewtwo)
    - you may not use TMs on aquired pokemon (chosen pokemon ok)
    - Sudowoodo, Snorlax, and Lapras, and Red Garydos may be used as an acquired pokemon
    - you may use pokemon acquired in trades with NPCs
    - pokemon from bug catching contests, pokemon from the Game Corner, Pokemon caught in swarms.
    - you may use an alternate pokemon to SURF through the cave and acquire Lapras, then discontinue use of that pokemon
    - HM slaves are allowed
    - notify me when you beat the Elite Four so i can label it next to your name, however the entire challenge is completed when you defeat Red.

These Are NOT Acquired Pokemon:

- pokemon from eggs (except togepi, mystery egg)
    - pokemon traded from other players

carry out discussions and progress on your adventures here, screenshots are nice. dont fear of spamming, just keep discussion going. be social and active.

list your current team with each update:
    Chikorita (F) - 11

Submission Form:
    Username:
    Version:
    Starting Pokemon:
    Chosen Pokemon:

*Banner submissions would be greatly appreciated*

Contendors:
    Username: Zapht
    Version: Gold
    Starting Pokemon: Totodile
    Chosen Pokemon: Heracross

Last edited:

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
    I actually attempted a challenge like this once on HG. I don't mind participating once again (don't know if I will in the future *points at sig*), but, I fear that this challenge will feel too much like the Red Challenge in which everyone has to play through the game with Red's team. It's not as extreme as that challenge, but participators will feel like there's not much unique to their teams despite having a bit more variety (which is what many players disliked about the aforementioned challenge). There aren't as many baby Pokemon in the original Gen II so there's a high chance you'll have the same baby as someone else. You don't have to take my advice, but I'd recommend allowing the Bug Catching Contest, &/or at least the Game Corner. That way, you don't run the risk of everyone having the same/similar teams and not seeing the point in updating. They'd just be repeating what the last poster said about their update if their teams end up similar and that would be a boring thread.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
    I actually attempted a challenge like this once on HG. I don't mind participating once again (don't know if I will in the future *points at sig*), but, I fear that this challenge will feel too much like the Red Challenge in which everyone has to play through the game with Red's team. It's not as extreme as that challenge, but participators will feel like there's not much unique to their teams despite having a bit more variety (which is what many players disliked about the aforementioned challenge). There aren't as many baby Pokemon in the original Gen II so there's a high chance you'll have the same baby as someone else. You don't have to take my advice, but I'd recommend allowing the Bug Catching Contest, &/or at least the Game Corner. That way, you don't run the risk of everyone having the same/similar teams and not seeing the point in updating. They'd just be repeating what the last poster said about their update if their teams end up similar and that would be a boring thread.
    I agree with you. Game Corner is not catching like the Bug contest, either.

Also, hardly anyone will use Snorlax, as he is obtained late in the game so i think him and Lapras work.

And what exactly is the TMs rule referring too?

zapht

The Family Ghost
    Years
    OK, i think you both have valid points, so i am now allowing pokemon from the game corner and bug catching contest, as well as Pokemon from swarms. thanks for the input.

The TM rule works like this. you are required to use pokemon acquired in events, however you are allowed to use any one pokemon you want that is NOT an acquired from an event. meaning you can use whichever one you want.
    you are not allowed to use TMs on the pokemon you acquire through events, however you are allowed to use them on the one non-acquired pokemon of your choice.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2020
    am i allowed to capture a pokemon, then trade it? like a bellsprout then tade it for onix? or will that count as the one pokemon i could catch

zapht

The Family Ghost
    Years
    you can catch as many pokemon as you want, you just cant use em in battle, except for the one you chose. so the bellsprout you trade for onix would not count as your one chosen pokemon.

zapht

The Family Ghost
    Years
    MOD please lock this thread as people are clearly uninterested in it and i think i have a better idea for a challenge.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
    Years
    Challange Complete

Name:- Punnag
    Game:- Gold
    Starter:- Totodile
    Cought:- Pidgey

Beaten Red
    Team
    Espeon (evolved from eevee given by Bill)
    Red Gyrados
    Snorolax
    Laprus
    Ferligatr
    Pideot

Back