• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokemon Anime Supports Homosexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misty-slave09

Kasumi<3
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 12, 2009
    Me and my friend who is also a pokemon fan were watching the episode "Pokemon Fashion Flash" (When Brock recieves Vulpix) on CN the other day and we noticed that when Ash and the gang first walk in the breeding center there seemed to be a homosexual in there getting his Chancey treated.
    I could tell because the guy had a girly voice plus his clothes seemed very girlish.

Also there are many times in the anime where Jessie dressed as a dude and James dressed as a girl.

Not to mention Harley is clearly a homosexual.

So my question is do you guys think pokemon supports homosexuality + cross-dressers?

Ariel

tsugi no mai, hakuren.
    Years
  • Me and my friend who is also a pokemon fan were watching the episode "Pokemon Fashion Flash" (When Brock recieves Vulpix) on CN the other day and we noticed that when Ash and the gang first walk in the breeding center there seemed to be a homosexual in there getting his Chancey treated.
    I could tell because the guy had a girly voice plus his clothes seemed very girlish.

Also there are many times in the anime where Jessie dressed as a dude and James dressed as a girl.

So my question is do you guys think pokemon supports homosexuality + cross-dressers?

An interesting topic.

But I doubt Nintendo are in support of it.

And as of the characters...it's probably just Character design, adding to the context of the characters, and adding a bit of variety to them.
    I doubt Nintendo make them seem Homosexual on purpose, it's probably part of the Japanese culture (no offence, I LOVE Japan). On the "sex" bit, characters barely even hug, let alone kiss or anything else, so Homosexuality isn't really an issue. Only hugging you see often is Ash & Pikachu.

I'd say that Nintendo are in support of people expressing themselves in comfortable and safe ways, so if that means having a male character appear rather feminine, I guess they condone it.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Pokemon itself is supposed to be like an RPG. And since the Anime is based on Pokemon, it means it's based on an RPG. And as we all know, there has to be at least ONE character like that in it. Pokemon has no less than ten.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • XD I think it's strange that you think this is an exclusive to Pokemon. I mean, seriously. Try to think of one anime show that didn't have some sort of innuendo (in the original, as in, before it gets butchered by dubbers) and then think of how many that do. Sailormoon has canon lesbians, guys that turn into girls when they henshin, and at least one male villain that has crossdressed. (I'm looking at you especially, Zoicite.) Evangelion has Kaworu Nagisa. ('Nuff said.) Ouran High has promoted twincest in nearly every episode, and that's aside from the entire "male cousins going at each other" thing between Honey and Mori. And to get into shows aimed at younger crowds, Fruits Basket has one male character crossdressing because he feels comfortable that way, and I'm pretty sure that there's others that I'm forgetting. The truth of the matter is Japan really doesn't care. It's a different society over there, so what goes on there doesn't necessarily fly all that well over here.

So, really, it's not that they are saying, "We ♥ gays/transvestites." It's just that the Japanese probably find it as normal as seeing a straight girl or boy in media. *shrug*

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    For what I heard, the Japanese consider the men who cross dress as "evil". Of course I may be wrong.

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
  • In a nutshell, the Pokemon dub, PUSA or 4Kids, loves ambiguosly gay and camp things. As long as it's not Sailor Moonish Amara/Michelle (though Zoey and Dawn seem kind of like that, heh), Pokemon has loved to throw in inuendo and campiness.

Other examples are James and the "Flaming" Moltres incident, his love for crossdressing, and other amiguos activites. And there was Harley, who was gay with capital letters and rainbows on top.

Dyegov

Spider Pig!
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    Hasn't anybody else noticed that gays appear more and more all over media? That's the thing with acceptance and tolerance that we all should understand. "gay" is not bad, it's different. People on the media have started to understand that, and that's why we're seeing more of gay characters all over; from anime to talk shows, everywhere!

I personally don't have much problem with it, but I have to admit Harley makes me shudder; I hate him ¬¬

Years
  • In fairness to Tucker, PUSA didn't gay him up, yeah.

I'm surprised this hasn't gone into a flame war, pardon the pun. I think the series pokes, but the anime is different from the games, which is painfully straightforward. Besides, James stopped crossdressing while into Johto and only did it a few times since.

Harley, well, he's special. Yes, PUSA gayed him up more than 4Kids/the Japanese writers had done. With the dubs, it's always the original material. Besides, until Dawn/Zoey, no one thought about the lesbian angle. All it's all subtext for a kid's show, to give the adults something, I suppose.

As always, it's only a TV show....

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
  • Other examples are James and the "Flaming" Moltres incident

"Where'd he get that outfit?"
    "I think it came right out of his closet."

Flaming Moltres James is <3.

Also, honorary femme!Bashou mention. Either they hired idiots to dub or they were covering up something. The first one seems more likely given the quality of the rest of the episode, but conspiracy theories are always fun.

Daisuke33

The Ultimate Unreal Hero
    Years
  • *gasp* nintendo supports gayness?!?!?!?!

That was kinda rude to say man. But well... your young so I guess I can let that slide. I agree with Dyegov that television is becoming more and more appecting and tolerate with Gays, and for that I'm very very glad. If any James crossdressing in Season 1 was rather funny lol I remember laughing when I saw that Banned episode Beauty and the Beach on youtube a couple years ago, which was in Season 1. I'm in complete support of homosexuality, because everyone is special Gay or Striaght so I'm glad that times are changing for the better. I agree I hate Harley with a passion through, he tried time and time again to mess May up during the Hoenn/Kanto contests but always failed XD I wonder what he is going to be up to in Johto? Watch your back out there May! XD

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • The title of this thread kinda made me wonder if the OP was one of those soccer moms.

Japan's culture is a lot less tight on homosexual issues. They dont have a bible belt or raging soccer moms like we have over here. I see homosexuality in a lot of anime like Azumanga Daioh. Heck, I even see a bit of pedophilia in anime like in Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh.

btw, I think the whole thing on Hiisu being gay is stupid. He's just a goofy dressing guy, I never got any gay vibes from him.
    off topic -
    Nando, would you by any chance be the Great Butler from Bulbagarden?

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    That was kinda rude to say man. But well... your young so I guess I can let that slide.

._. I think they were being sarcastic. ^^;

Anyways,

My view is They neither support nor discriminate against it, but it DOES exist. Incorporating it into a cartoon is no big thing. You can't say they support it if they don't really come out and say it, it stays questionable.

As for any romance, besides some little remarks on fillers, doesn't exist. Brock, I think, is the only one who actually touches a girl by holding a Joy or Jenny's hand sometimes. Ah and James, but him and Jessie are a team.

I don't think James is gay... he's just rich and sheltered =x
    Harley, I have no trouble believing that about his sexuality, but I think it fits him quite nicely.
    Anyways, the whole point of Pokemon is Acceptance, no?

Years
  • Regarding the last two posts, stick to topic, you two. Heh. Anyway, I didn't infer a thing with James' "Flaming Moltres." I was thinking rebirth and how James always bounces back, and... I suck at subtext. Bah.

Years
  • Me and my friend who is also a pokemon fan were watching the episode "Pokemon Fashion Flash" (When Brock recieves Vulpix) on CN the other day and we noticed that when Ash and the gang first walk in the breeding center there seemed to be a homosexual in there getting his Chancey treated.

sure he wasnt a gothic person?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back