• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Red Gyarados

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Post your stories of your Red Gyarados Encounter :D

I caught mine and then I started playing Platinum and was fishing and caught one, now it's worthless because of HG/SS.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2010
    Ah the Red Gyarados. Im some cases the pokemon is rare, not legendary, but rare (Not that rare). Some people on other forums claim the Red Gyarados to be a shiny pokemon. But yet again as most people. They think they know about pokemon.

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
  • I was fighting mine at the Lake of Rage with my meganium, then a bayleef. It was on about a third health so I poisoned it, then used 3 ultra balls as the poison chipped away at it, then I couldn't catch it, it died and I forgot to save :'(

Vindel

Team Rocket's Worst Nightmare
    Years
  • I used my Scizor to bring it's HP down, then tossed a few Ultra Balls and caught it. I was disappointed.

I never use him, either. He's sittin' in my storage box, still at Lv. 30.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    I had expected the Red Gyarados to be more of a challenge. Unfortunately, it is not so.

Parasect went in and used False Swipe + Spore. One Great Ball later it was captured. However, Slowbro has more use in my party than Gyarados at the moment. Until Slowbro is no longer useful to my party, Red Gyarados shall remain a pitiful level 30, somewhere in Box 1.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I caught the Gyarados with a Great Ball. However, I already had my water Pokemon (Feraligatr), so I had no reason to use it. It's in the 'Blue' Portion of my PC box, only have been taken out once to be used in the Pokethlon.

FlameBlazeFury

Future Champion~!
    Years
  • use my butterfree to weaken The Red Gyarados than use sleep powder.Throw 8 poke balls and i caught it.i was hopeing it was going to be super strong but sadily it wasent.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I caught her in a pretty normal fashion. She was a girl, so I named her Aki-chan. :3 Then I taught her Hyper Beam and used her to beat Claire, LOL.

Maco

learning the ropes...
    Years
  • Gyarados has such a pitiful move pool.

Stone Edge + Earthquake + Dragon Dance + Waterfall = One of the best physical sweepers. Nearly 100% type coverage.
    252EV's in attack and speed.

And a decent typing of water and flying. Hardly a bad pokemon.

Tombstone975

The grass is always greener.
    Years
  • I only caught it for the sake of catching it, It proved very useful to my team.

I caught it on the 2nd Ultra Ball, Easier then the Original Silver/Gold.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Last time I encountered it, I froze it and caught it with a great ball.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    i used scyther's false swipe twice to get it to one HP, and then used one ultra ball to catch it:)

chillxd

メインモシ
    Years
  • Ah the Red Gyarados. Im some cases the pokemon is rare, not legendary, but rare (Not that rare). Some people on other forums claim the Red Gyarados to be a shiny pokemon. But yet again as most people. They think they know about pokemon.

The term "Red" is used to refer to a Gyarados that is SHINY, probably because of it's red color.

Ah, most people. ._.

@Maco

Correct with the EV's and Moveset, but the typing is not as decent as you say.

1 hit from a Thunder would fry Gyarados. xD

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I concur....as do all( if not, most) people here that the RED gyarados is a shiny. It's actually not rare because you have to battle it on HGSS. Although When you're
    simply just fishing and find one, then that is indeed very rare.

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • I wanted to catch him, but I forgot to save before I started ( I wasn't sure what was going to happen either :P).

I got him down to about 5 HP, but unfortunately, my Typhlosion's Ember burned him D:

I tried catching him once, it failed, and he burned to death the next turn. :/ End of story.

MiloticLover

~<3 Milotic Gen V!
    Years
  • Well, for me:
    " A wild Gyarados appeared!"
    "Go, Hydrogen!" (My Milotic XD)
    Hypnosis from the start, then 3 Twisters to get her HP to 1/3, she woke up and started Thrashing, I used a Water Pulse and she became confused, I kept going until her HP goes red then a Hypnosis again, finally I finished her with an Ultra Ball the next turn. Pretty easy ^^

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I caught her (it's a female) with a single Ultra Ball on my second try after accidentally knocking it out on my first go. Now it rots away on my PC, sitting in the C drive. :D

Since I have Feraligatr, there's just no need for her. Just like in Gold.

Though she has been nicknamed with the rather bland nickname, Shiny. What a joy it must be for her.

Back