• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (revived) No-Catch Challenge!

Years
The (revived) No-Catch Challenge

Welcome to the (revived) No-Catch Challenge! As the name says, in this challenge, you aren't allowed to catch any Pokemon (with three exceptions). You can only get them by any of the following means:

• Obtained via in-game trade (list)
  • Obtained as a gift (eggs count, too) (list)
  • Bought as a Game Corner prize (R/B/Y/G/S/C/FR/LG/HG/SS; Mauville's and Veilstone's don't have Pokemon for prizes) (Lists: Celadon | Goldenrod)
  • Revived from a fossil (all but G/S/C)
  • Bought from the Magikarp salesman (R/B/Y/FR/LG/B/W)

Rules

1. You (obviously) can't catch any Pokemon, EXCEPT for use as an HM slave if need be, or for in an in-game trade OR Reshiram/Zekrom, since they're required to be caught to advance BW's storyline.
  2. You must have at least 1 gift/etc. Pokemon before you challenge the third gyn.
  3. No hacking, except to get a Pokemon for use in an in-game trade.
  4. The challenge ends when you defeat Red (G/S/C/HG/SS), Steven (E), or the Champion (all other games).

Want to sign up?

That should be everything, so if you want to participate, fill out this form:

Username:
Ultimate?:
Game(s):

Have fun, and good luck! Here's my signup, as an example:

Username: Luigi-San
Ultimate?: No
Game(s): Crystal

Challengers

Spoiler:

Champions

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Username: Joshyv
Ultimate?: no until i know what it does
Game(s): Emerald
Also whats the first pokemon i can get without catching in emerald?

Years
Username: Lilienne
Game: Yellow
In-game Name: Yellow
Ultimate: No

Additional Info: No HM slaves.

-Starting out with Pikachu, of course, grinded it to 16 and then challenged Brock's Gym. So I beat the trainer beforehand by 6x Double Team and Quick Attack spam. Went back to heal, and then challenged Brock. 6x Double Team again, and then beat up Geodude with Quick Attack. Next up, Onix. Now, I spammed 22 Quick Attacks, and ran out when HP was in red. So, spam every attack I have, and then killed it with Struggle. There was nothing Onix could do, as it missed every attack, almost.
-Made my way through Mt. Moon and challenged Misty. With Pikachu. Do I really need to explain how this went?
-Crushed Rival. Hard. Beat Lt. Surge pretty easily after using a number of Double Teams and Body Slam with Pikachu. After that, I picked up Squirtle, went back to pick up Charmander and Bulbasaur while I was at it. I'll probably train them to full evolutions, and go back to get Flash. I'm not really into going through Rock Tunnel without it. Problem then will be who to put it on.
-Grind, grind grind. Got Flash, got through the cave, and went straight to Celadon City. No sight-seeing in Lavendar town. Went to the Mansion to pick up my fourth Pokemon - Eevee. Immediately evolved it into Jolteon and gave it Thunderbolt, and tossed Pikachu in the box. Beat up some rockets, and used Charizard to destroy Erika. Fourth badge get. Back to Lavendar town, beating on the Channelers, and then Team Rocket yet again. Finally, I went into Saffron City, to get ready for Silph Co. and to pick up a Hitmonchan.
-Decided to add an update, desptie not finishing a new gym. Got my sixth Pokemon, but I won't use it so I boxed it: Lapras. I just beat up team rocket for I think is the last time, in Silph Co. Though I don't remember if I see them again. Anyway, pretty much made my Rival look bad again, as my Pokemon all outleveled his highest leveled one by 10. Giovanni wasn't a problem either. Jolteon smashed him, and most embarrassingly, beat the Nidoqueen with a Pin Missile. Super Effective to Poison in Gen I is hilarious.
-Well, made the "mistake" of battling Sabrina before Koga. That's in quotation marks because it ended up with Charizard, underleveled, beating up her Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam. So I took Cycling Road down and battled Koga immediately afterward, Charizard, once again, dealing swift justice to the trainers and to Koga himself. So badges five and six get. Going to battle my way back up to Lavendar town, and fly back to Pallet town. Cinnibar Island next.
-Well, got myself an Aerodactyl, and taught Charizard Earthquake and Blastoise Ice Beam. Grind all my Pokemon to 50 before challenging Blaine, which Jolteon handled like a champ. Anyway, that's all done. Next up, Giovanni one last time. Venusaur pretty much beat the trainers alone, and then it and Blastoise took turns wiping out Giovanni's team. Nothing too hard this time around. Finally, one last Rival battle before the elite four. Once again, no problems here with the diversity in my party, though we have about the same leveled Pokemon at this point.
-Well, last update. I ended up in Victory Road, murdering all the trainers, and one Moltres, along the way. The Elite Four was surprisingly easy for my pre-made team, even underleveled. Jolteon handled Lorelei, except Jynx who Charizard handled. Venusaur Razor Leafed the Onix/Charizard used Fly on the Fighting-types of Bruno. Agatha was a little bit more annoying to handle, as it kept confusing my Charizard. But Earthquake handles her Pokemon well. And poor Lance. Jolteon killed Gyarados, and then the rest of his Pokemon got brutally destroyed by Blastoise and his Ice Beaming. And then the Rival wasn't as hard as I feared. Everything but Alakazam and Flareon got 1-shotted by my various Pokemon, and only Alakazam managed to knock out any of mine (two, in fact). Flareon didn't stand any change against Blastoise and surf, bringing his last Pokemon down, and leaving me the champion. Oh, I forgot to mention, I didn't end up buying anything except the fresh water. So nice bonus there, too.

Screenshots of the end party:

Pokemon_Yellow1.png

Win!:

Pokemon_Yellow3.png

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Just so you know, there is an RBY no-catch challenge. Perhaps make this thread Gen II - V? I don't see the point in merging the two at this point though. ;(

Years
I know that there is an R/B/Y version of this challenge, but I'm not doing it for the same reason I'm not doing any Gen IV/V challenges: I cannot speed the game up. I really don't want to devote 30 actual hours to the game.

Edit:And you have to pick Charmander. No. =(

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Log 1:
I choose a mudkip as my starter, i am now on route 102 trying to find a seedot to trade for a ralts in rustboro town when i get there(still havent killed all the trainers)
Log 2: I totally owned brawly and roxanne, i finally caught a ralts to trade to get a seedot, which is semi-hm slave, also for a bonus challenge i will use no hm slaves unless i have to, oh and my mudkipz evolved and so did my seedot. Also owned may again
Log 3: I beat the 3rd gym leader wattson, he was no match for my water/ground type marshtomp with his mud shot and water gun, he also evolved into a swampert

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Username: KoboraX
Ultimate?: Can't. Broken computer...and I'm too lazy to buy the games :p
Game(s): White

-Started the game. As I normally do, Snivy's my starter. Bianca and Cheren stood no chance. No need to explain the boring details after that. On to Route 1 for tons of grinding up to Level 8.
-Annoyingly short tutorial before Team Plasma speech and the first battle with N. Not hard at all. Vine Whip critical hit luck FTW.
-On Route 2, I get Running Shoes (finally), then I own every trainer, including Bianca at the end. She's no threat at all.
-Striaton City, healed up and decimated the Dreamyard for now. Afterwards, I got a Panpour as a gift. I go and destroy Cheren, then it's gym time.
-Two weak trainers in Striaton Gym on the way to the Gym Leaders. Pathetic.
-Battled Chili and won. Panpour survived against a Lv. 14 Pansear. Lucky critical on the first Water Gun.
-Useless conversation with Fennel before a second visit to the Dreamyard.
-Team Plasma encounter at the Dreamyard.
-On to Route 3 after visiting Fennel again.
-Owned Cheren again.
-Moar Team Plasma stuff.
-Some battling, then on to Nacrene.
-Healed, then a second battle with N.
-Survived Nacrene Gym.
-Took care of Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest.
-Onward to Castelia City.
-Got a Water Stone for Panpour so I could evolve it after it learns Scald...or Crunch.
-More Team Plasma problems.
-Took on Castelia Gym.
-Battles against Bianca and Cheren.
-My long travel through Route 4 and the Desert Resort.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Log4:Finally started playing again, i owned flannery and got a wyanut egg and now to the desert after encounting may and getting go googles now its time to armadlo one of my fav pokemon
Log5: I owned my father/norman with my swampert and my wynaut hatched and i evolved it, then i got castform from the weather intuisute and beat may

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen May 26, 2012
Can I confirm one of the rules?

You (obviously) can't catch any Pokemon, EXCEPT for use as an HM slave if need be, or for in an in-game trade OR Reshiram/Zekrom, since they're required to be caught to advance BW's storyline.

Does the bolded part imply we can capture a pokemon for the purpose of ingame trading?

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Can I confirm one of the rules?

You (obviously) can't catch any Pokemon, EXCEPT for use as an HM slave if need be, or for in an in-game trade OR Reshiram/Zekrom, since they're required to be caught to advance BW's storyline.

Does the bolded part imply we can capture a pokemon for the purpose of ingame trading?
I would assume so since i caught a raltz for a seedot

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen May 26, 2012
Does anyone know the rules about breeding? A, are we allowed to do it and B, are we allowed to catch a Ditto for the sole purpose of breeding?

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Username:bctincher15
Ultimate?:no
Game(s):Blue

I can get more than one Pokemon from the Game Corner, Right?

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
That was rough, but I'm finally done. I really don't want to get into details, so I'll just post my final team.

Sly Cooper (Serperior) Lv. 65 @ Miracle Seed
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Overgrow
Final Stats: 179/136/133/109/158/174
Moves: Leaf Blade, Frenzy Plant, Coil, Leaf Storm
Overall LVP

Phil (Simipour) Lv. 71 @ Mystic Water
Nature: Lax
Ability: Gluttony
Final Stats: 216/191/122/161/106/174
Moves: Scald, Ice Beam, Surf, Brick Break
E4 2 Co-MVP, Alder MVP, Gethsis LVP

H. Birdman (Archeops) Lv. 64 @ Lucky Egg
Nature: Brave
Ability: Defeatist
Final Stats: 187/233/103/173/90/143
Moves: Crunch, Rock Slide, Thrash, Dragon Claw
E4 1 MVP, Gethsis MVP

Minipete (Emolga) Lv. 74
Nature: Lax
Ability: Static
Final Stats: 187/147/133/137/101/186
Moves: Volt Switch, Discharge, Electro Ball, Acrobatics
N MVP, Gethsis Co-MVP, E4 2 MVP, Alder Co-MVP

Years
Username:Atie
Ultimate?:I don't think so
Game(s):Hard Gold(harder hack of Heart Gold)

Log1
Rival stood no chance against my over leveled Cyndaquil
Caught a Bellsprout Lv:3
Traded it for a Onix Lv:3 (Obviously)

Team
Quilava Lv:14
Onix Lv:3

Planning to train Onix in sprout tower

Log 2
Training Onix at Sprout Tower didn't go well as expected but I made it alive
Onix reached level 10 in the end of the Sprout tower
Quilava reached level 15

First gym:
Onix swept through the 2 trainers without obey problems ,
But when he had to face the gym he never listened resulting only killing the first pokemon and hurted the second a bit.
Luckily I had my Super-Quilava and crushed the last 2 Pokemon.

Team
Onix/Rocky Lv:12
Quilava/Anarchy Lv:16
Togepi Lv:egg :P

Heading for the route to Azlea town :D

Last edited:
Years
Log3
The route to Azalea town was not going that well due issues of freezes
and there is a kinda tuff route boss in Hard Gold in route 33 combined with the rain my Quilava was overpowered by his Goldeen & Psyduck not going to talk about Onix -.-

I managed to skip him and i'm now safe saved at Azalea town.
The Togepi Egg hatched finaly

My Team
Quilava Lv:19
Onix Lv:16
Togepi Lv:1

Togepi will be trained, against team rocket and pre-gym trainers

Log 4
Togepi helped alot!
he swoopt at level 5 all the Team Rocket grunts with Extrasensory
He helped alot to kick the ass of the overpowered Hiker,
and without his last resort Sweet Kiss I would lose against bugsy.
although silver was hard coz of Croconaw's advanced move set.
and caught a Sandshrew for Temporary Cut slave

Team
Quilava Lv:23
Onix Lv:17
Togepi Lv:16
Sandshrew Lv:Slave xD

Heading for Goldenrod City through the Ilex forest.

Log 5
My team is REBUILD!
Arriving in Goldenrod was a big step,
I left Togepi in the Daycare for training,
He was very usefull but from thesse future Gyms I just need more power
only as Togekiss he's good enough so i'm leaving him in the Daycare till we go to Kanto

I changed my team and trained it a bit around Goldenrod.

My Team

Spr_4h_156.png

Quilava/Anarachy - Lv:27
Flame wheel
Quick attack
Smokescreen
Ember

Nature:Naive

Spr_4h_095.png

Onix/Rocky - Lv:18
Headbut
Rocktomb
Bind
Screech

Nature:Hasty

Spr_4h_066.png

Machop/Muscle - Lv:21
Low kick
Karate Chop
Foresight
Focus energy

Nature: Lonely

Spr_4h_021.png

Spearow/Kenya Lv:21
Arial ace
Pursuit
Leer
Fury Attack

Nature:hasty

Spr_4h_064_m.png

Kadabra/Kaz - Lv:16
Confusion
Teleport

Nature:Modest

Hope that this team'll do against hardened Whitney :S

Last edited:
Years
Log6
I have beaten Whitney after like 10 times.
She is a beast in this game.
The first battles I got screwed badly
Only the last battle I worked with my pokemon as a team with Sunshine results

My team
Quilava/Anarachy - Lv:28
Onix/Rocky - Lv:19
Fearow/Kenya - Lv:25
Machop/Muscle - Lv:24
Kadabra/Kaz - Lv:21

Heading now for Ecruteak city

Log7
Before I was heading for Ecruteak city I did some Pokeathlon games
and bought for 2500 points a water stone
When I was arrived in Ecruteak I met Bill have a talk.
Then I rushed to Goldenrod to pick up my Eevee and directly evolve it to a Vaporeon.
I left my Onix in the box since I need some space.
I'm training my Vaporeon up to level 25 before I challenge the Ecruteak Gym

My Team
Quilava/Anarachy - Lv:29
Machoke/Muscle - Lv:28
Fearow/Kenya - Lv:28
Kadabra/Kaz - Lv:25
Vaporeon/Liquor - Lv:17

Last edited:
Years
I am debating between this and two other challenges. Sorry to a mod if this seems like spamming.
Its between the other no catch challenge which is harder http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7020521&postcount=1

Or The Tripple Threat Challenge
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277755&page=2

I haven't really decided if im gonna keep looking for a Hard version hack of Yellow, pick one of these challenges, or make my own. I like the other challenge but it technically allows for Charmander only, while this allows for any starter. I would prefer the harder one so its funnier to post for YouTube, but I don't know If that poster is still even around, if they'd let me. If you allowed me to, I could post my challenge here with some of the rules that the other challenge implies to make it harder on myself?

Username: DarkRedXIII (Brad)
Ultimate?: What?
Game(s):
Yellow

My solution of course to all of this could be to just create a mega challenge of my own, but I thought supporting the challenges already available would be better.

Back