• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Size of our Balls...

User19sq

Anyway, I noticed something about the Poke Balls in-game. They're tiny. In similar size to those capsule toys they were based on. In most other media, they tend to be as big, if not bigger, than one's hand! But they're tinier than a newborn chick!

So, did their sizes get retconned, or have they always been this small but we've never known because this is most of all occasions wherein we see them being handled by Trainers?

User19sq

Whenever Ash handles balls, they look huge and bigger than grapefruits. But now they're basically plum-sized. Very evident on you own eleven-year-old Trainer, who's no bigger than Ash. The only Trainers who have grapefruit-sized balls are the ones still in preschool, cuz they're tiny.

I might need to re-edit this...

Shixyo

Nobody
    Years
    From what I remember from the anime, they also start out small and tiny. At the press of a button, they grow to the large size you normally see today in the show. If you can remember way back to the Orange Island leagues, Lance's Dragonite also has its pokeball shown on a pendant, at the small size you'd assume shows in the game. I like to believe that as the show grew, the hassle of having a miniature pokeball grow each time Ash would attempt to catch or battle a pokemon was left out just to save time and space. Same theory for the ingame trainers, who hold their pokeballs with the tips of their fingers. Once thrown, though it's not very apparent, I'd think that as soon as the pokeballs hit the ground, they'd expand, release, then return to the trainer's hand.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I thought the larger balls was an anime exclusive thing?

Don't they start off smaller and then increase in size when you're ready to use them? (I think they press the button) It's probably just a quirk of the anime. (and obviously then a lot of merchandise would mimic their size because of the animes popularity)

I can't recall the games ever having pokeballs that big.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'll have to look out for this now as I never even noticed it was a thing! Something I do like on a similar note is the way trainers use different types of Poké Balls.

Back