• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Starter Choice!

Darkside

Michael Myers
    Years
    I have been thinking wich pokemon i should choose in the beginning of each generations. I have chose these, tell if they are not good.

Red/Blue: Charizard
    Silver/Gold/Crystal: Feraligatr
    Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: Blaziken or Swampert. (usually Swampert because it can defeat Grovyle with Ice Beam if you teach it to it.)

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2007
    I have been thinking wich pokemon i should choose in the beginning of each generations. I have chose these, tell if they are not good.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: Blaziken or Swampert. (usually Swampert because it can defeat Grovyle with Ice Beam if you teach it to it.)
    Yea, Swarmpert is good, becaue (correct me if I am wrong) is also part ground so you can take most electric types.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I have both a Blaziken and a Swampert and I have to admit, both are pretty amazing. They can both beat Sceptile (providing you teach Swampy Ice Beam), but Swampy will probably get killed by Scepty because Scepty's faster and Swampy has a 4x weakness to Grass moves (gee, thanks, Ground-type XD) Blazy, on the other hand, can kick Scepty's butt with a Fire move. Plus, he's part fighting. Give the fighting Pokes some love. <3

In conclusion, although I think Blazy's cool, Swampy's your best bet because of his ground-type. He can kick Electric-types butts without fear of getting killed first... AND he can wash out Fire-, Rock-, and Ground-types. Pretty nice, huh? xD Besides, you can pick up a Flying-type (like Swellow) to own those Grass-types...

Pokemon is some pretty sweet strategy stuff. >D

SilverDragon

--Anime Fan--
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2009
    I chose Blaziken since it was the 1st starter pokemon i saw that represented a human body. 0.o

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Overall, Swampert is the strongest if used properly and is the easiest to beat the game with. Swampert's movepool can cover many different types, creating advantages in some places where you technically shouldn't have had.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I agree with Alex...
    My experience with swampert as my starter has proven time and time again that a swampert is the most flexible starter in this generation...it's move pool is very type diverse and allows for a lot of strategies not commonly found on a water or ground type sweeper...

CyberCyndaquil

Master of Shinies
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2009
    i usually pick:

Red/Blue: Venusaur
    (i like it)

Silver/Gold/Crystal: Typhlosion
    (i like it + good stats/less disadvantages/learns thunderpunch for water pokemon)

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: Swampert (i like it + less disadvantages + good stats + good moves)

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    In RBY(FRLG), I picked Venusaur, only because I needed some sort of tank and he was the most durable.

In GSC, I picked Feraliagtr. I don't actually like any of the GSC starters, but Ferry (bwa haha xD) seemed like top choice for me, since I'm never fond of Fire-types (unless they're paired with something else) and I don't like Meganium.

In RSE, I picked Swampert, even though I have a Blaziken. Swampy's just very well-rounded offensively and defensively, can KO quite a few types, and was just overall the best choice for me. =D

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    R/B: Charmander because of the overpowered Fire Spin

G/S/C: Cyndaquil. Feraligatr is stronger in the 4th gen games, though, because of the phyiscal/special split.

R/S/E: Mudkip. Swampert has good offensive and defensive capabilities combined with a good movepool. What else could you ask for? Besides, Swampert is cute. :3

FR/LG: Bulbasaur. And no, it's not because of that 'ZOMG! eet r teh eaziest startah!' crap, because that's just not true. The gymleaders are pathetically weak and it doesn't matter which starter you choose as long as you get yourself a well rounded team with good movesets. Venusaur is just the best of them because just like Swampert, it has good offensive and defensive stats. Its movepool isn't that big, but Sleep Powder, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed and Synthesis are all it really needs anyway.

Darkside said:
    And how does a Sceptile on the same level as Swampert not OHKO Swampert with Leaf Blade? Sceptile's high Special Attack and STAB quadruple power Leaf Blade says hi.

nguyende

Student
    Years
    I've always started with these guys...
    R/B/Y: Charmander (OK, Pickachu on Yellow, but I can train Char)
    G/S/C: Chikorita
    R/S/E: Mudkip
    FR/LG: Charmander
    Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE COOL... :laugh:
    No... I don't know how many of you battle out of game (link up in the colleseum), but were I live I don't get many opportunities to do that. Because of that, I mainly battle in-game, so I just choose a pkmn that can learn 3-4 different types of attacks, and I'm pretty much set. :cool:
    But... They ARE pretty cool... lol :P

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with those Pokémon... Charizard [fire/flying] has more advantages (more weaknesses too, but...)He's also capable of learning over 3 types of moves, which I always find to be advantageous, in case you don't know what kind of pokémon the enemy will send out.
    Feraligater... Well, he's stronger in the Diamond/Pearl series, but I think in the G/S series it's better to choose Cyndaquil.
    Between Torchic and Mudkip, I too would also choose Mudkip, for the fact that he's able to learn 4 different types of moves. :)
    My Swampert knows; Muddy Water, Dynamic Punch, Ice Beam, Earthquake

Back