• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    The grass type starter looks kinda cool. The fire type looks ok, but it kinda looks like a turtwig.The water type starter is just wierd because it looks like a piplup and a mime jr combined. Don't know where that came from :P

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • I'm scooping up Mijumaru and never letting him go :3
    I don't need no stinkin' third evo comformation. Mostly because I plan to buy all three games and have a different starter on each. I promised myself that I wouldn't look up any 5th gen pokemon once they were released (other than the starters, and Zorua/Zoruark) and that includes the starter evolutions. While everyone else is satisfied with their choice because of the threevo, I'll be completely surprised, which, to me is better. See, when I got Sapphire, the only pokemon I knew of was Lotad, because it was in the commercial. Third gen has been my most profound pokemon experience because of that, and so I'm mimmicking it with fifth gen, which I trust will be my favorite generation to date. I kind of ruined Pearl because every pokemon I encountered I was just like "I remember that one from serebii, what's the english name?" So... yeah. [/rant]

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I don't mind the Grass type starter. It reminds me of Treecko and Cyndaquil. So, I guess I'll be choosing him.

tsutaajafan95

#1 Tsutaaja fan
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2010
    I love Tsutaja!! He will be my choice when it comes out!! The pig is okay and the otter is cute, but the little grass snake wins my love. ALso look in my siggy, theres a picture i found on photobucket of its final evo!! although its probably fake cause i didnt find the other two starters evos, but still it s cool!

Years
  • I actually don't like any of them. I'm more bothered about seeing the final evos though, cuz I'll be stuck with them in the long run.

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
  • I'll be picking Pokabu simply because I always go with the fire-type starter no matter how ugly it is. I haven't actually liked any of the starter Pokemon since Generation 1, so I'll likely be swapping it out for something I like better at the first opportunity.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2012
    I love Tsutaja!! He will be my choice when it comes out!! The pig is okay and the otter is cute, but the little grass snake wins my love. ALso look in my siggy, theres a picture i found on photobucket of its final evo!! although its probably fake cause i didnt find the other two starters evos, but still it s cool!

Haha, that sprite has been found already? XD Yeah, it's fake, I made it. The animation for it is in my avatar.

Years
  • Pokabu. It's so cuuuute. I like how in the battle clips it hops and it's ears twitch.

I would like to see new Abilities. The onse they always stick with the starters are basically usless. But I'll make due. I'll get to attached to not battle with it. x3

....will never get that otter PKMN.

Setosama

LegendaryPokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    The pig! Fire Type for me as always! ;D

Although, I must admit, the otter looks OH SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!! I just want a huggable plushie of it! XD

Sollace

-Dark Artist-
    Years
  • Ehhhh...
    These starters so far look about as impressive as Diamond/Pearl's starters.

Which I hated.

I ended up letting my starter go and using a newborn Absol as my starter.

The grass one looks...like it could end up being cool. I'll have to see the evolutions before I make a decision. Might end up just being Absol to lead my party again.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I wouldn't mind if Tsutaaja started off as Grass/Poison and ended up being Grass/Dragon...

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    Pokabu, without fail. I'm not typically a fire pokemon kind of guy, but I loves me a fire pig (and I can easily see him becoming an even better thing -- a BOAR -- at final evolution).

Second in command is the water type. I'm not a huge fan of this guy, but, well... it's ok, I suppose. I can see myself using him a bit, and i used Piplup for my first playthrough of the fourth generation, so the similar designs should make it easier for me to adjust to it.

As for the "snake"? No... just, no... It's not even a snake, it's a lizard. I also despise that face of his. Grass-type starters have an impressive track record with me, but even that is not enough to save this pokemon. Sorry.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Hey Listen.

I think the final evos are going to be Grass/Dark (Sly little creature);
    Fire/Psychic (Big sensei like pig thing); Water/Fighting (Overcoming the bullies :P). That way it'll be like Sinnoh where they can be neutral. Dark>Psychic>Fighting

Also, Dark and Psychic could play along with the Legends type, and Fighting could be the Twilight Legend, 3rd one. Fighting to keep the two at peace :cer_nod:

Thanks for listening!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    Hey Listen.

I think the final evos are going to be Grass/Dark (Sly little creature);
    Fire/Psychic (Big sensei like pig thing); Water/Fighting (Overcoming the bullies :P). That way it'll be like Sinnoh where they can be neutral. Dark>Psychic>Fighting

Also, Dark and Psychic could play along with the Legends type, and Fighting could be the Twilight Legend, 3rd one. Fighting to keep the two at peace :cer_nod:

Thanks for listening!

That's cool and all, but the only problem is Dark is immune to Psychic. A better trio would be Rock>Flying>Fighting but I don't think those would fit with the starters. A Fighting legend interests me, though. We've never had one and I'd like to see how they pull it off.

I like Tsutaaja the most, but I usually pick the Fire type and I would love to have a fire boar. I'll have to wait for their evolutions to be sure. (They'd better not name Tsutaaja "Smugleaf" or I'm not gonna get him xD) Also it's VERY unlikely anyway, but with almost everyone else saying it I'll bring it up...Tsutaaja better not end up as part Dragon. It's the same problem as making Charizard a Dragon: a starter shouldn't have a powerful type like that. I would much prefer it to be a Poison-type venomous "snake" or as you said, Bluerang, a Dark type.

Years
  • I can't believe what pokemon is heading to. If it wasn't for the money they shoul have stop at generation 3. even tough this gen looks a bit better then gen 4.

The grass type is the only one decent.

I agree with the first sentence. They don't look like Pokemon.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
  • I don't like the direction Pokemon is heading. Yes, gameplay is awesome, i freaking love SS, and l like how Platinum came out. But come on, Pokemon are starting to look less like... "Pokemon" than they used to. Hence SS is the best Pokemon game, as generation 2 is my favorite (it withholds gen 1, plus gen 2 obviously), and the animation of Pokemon are looking less and they're getting off point. The grass type looks ok, but i don't use grass type, as Water and Fire are both equally my favorite. Now, gen 1+2 and even 3 had the feeling of how Pokemon works. Platinum "enhanced" the atmosphere of Pokemon and pushed the limit abroad, and not only did Pokemon started to look different, to some it went downhill, to some it was successul (fanwise). With this new "Generation", hopefully we can catch ALL POKEMON, and we don't have to trade previous gen pokemon in order to fill the pokedex. Now that seems like a small problem aside, but it's a big part of the game. We, or atleast some of us, have seen the evolution in the pokemon games, and how they apply new graphics to the animation, as to how the pokemon look, and adding more aquirements to the game(s) that previous one(s) did not have. Hopefully this game is as good as the hype, and not the downfall of Pokemon and leave all the fans dissapointed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back