• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I myself would have personally liked Grass/Poison, Fire/Ground, and Water/Fighting for the starter evos. The only thing that really ended up bothering me though was Pokabu's confirmed Type. I really don't care that Tsutaja and Mijumaru seem to remain single-typed throughout their evolutionary lines, either... though Water/Fighting for Futachimaru would be lovely. :c

At least Pokabu3 seems bulky though. If he'd ended up being another Fire/Fighting-sweeper-starter I'd probably be a lot more pissy about it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    I don't think anyone has stated that Fire/Fighting is a bad combo, and nor has anyone to my knowledge said that they don't like it as a type combo. Repeating ad nauseam that you don't understand why people have a problem with the same type combination on the Fire starter Pokemon for 3 Generations in a row is simply facetious. Repeatedly saying that those with the opposite viewpoint to you are stupid is not only facetious, but also unnecessarily provocative and more than a little bit bigoted.

Fact is, in games that promise as much revolution as Black/White, there is real cause to be disappointed in the lack of innovation in this area which is understandably very important to a large proportion of Pokemon players. As the starter Pokemon is the first one you get, and for a lot of people is the one Pokemon that accompanies the player on their entire journey from beginning to end, I think it's completely understandable to be a little bit peeved when the same type combination is used three games in a row. It certainly smacks of a lack of innovation and of the re-hashing of old ideas, especially in the case of Fire Pokemon - after all Fire is one of the types with the most unused possible type combinations.

If people want to be upset about Pokabu's evolutionary line's type combination, then they're more than entitled to be, and they have good reason to be, as indeed users of Tsutaja and Mijumaru would if their rumoured final stage types are to be believed - after all, plain Grass and plain Water could be considered missed opportunities as well. What do you gain by calling their views stupid or retarded?

You are a wise man.

After all is said and done, they promised and brought innovation and revolutionary changes to the games- yet missed on the thing that matters most at the very beginning of the game.

How could one not expect people to get pet-peeved by that blunt, unneeded repetition?

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    I don't think anyone has stated that Fire/Fighting is a bad combo, and nor has anyone to my knowledge said that they don't like it as a type combo. Repeating ad nauseam that you don't understand why people have a problem with the same type combination on the Fire starter Pokemon for 3 Generations in a row is simply facetious. Repeatedly saying that those with the opposite viewpoint to you are stupid is not only facetious, but also unnecessarily provocative and more than a little bit bigoted.

Fact is, in games that promise as much revolution as Black/White, there is real cause to be disappointed in the lack of innovation in this area which is understandably very important to a large proportion of Pokemon players. As the starter Pokemon is the first one you get, and for a lot of people is the one Pokemon that accompanies the player on their entire journey from beginning to end, I think it's completely understandable to be a little bit peeved when the same type combination is used three games in a row. It certainly smacks of a lack of innovation and of the re-hashing of old ideas, especially in the case of Fire Pokemon - after all Fire is one of the types with the most unused possible type combinations.

If people want to be upset about Pokabu's evolutionary line's type combination, then they're more than entitled to be, and they have good reason to be, as indeed users of Tsutaja and Mijumaru would if their rumoured final stage types are to be believed - after all, plain Grass and plain Water could be considered missed opportunities as well. What do you gain by calling their views stupid or retarded?

Everyone (especially the youngsters), I suggest you all read this post at least 5 times.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    You are a wise man.

After all is said and done, they promised and brought innovation and revolutionary changes to the games- yet missed on the thing that matters most at the very beginning of the game.

How could one not expect people to get pet-peeved by that blunt, unneeded repetition?
    Well they did they say that they were going to surprise us and they did with another Fire/Fighting...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    There is the possibility of when the starters + evolutions enter the Dream World, they can change types, and then be the boring types in Isshu? :D

...cause really, we dunno what the Dream World holds! And since it relates to the Kanto starters changing abilities...

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I very much like the way you think. :cer_nod: I agree 100% with what you said. This is the internet, and arguments such as these happen all the time. To call it "retarded" repeatedly is just plain old ridiculous.

To contribute to the topic though. I kind of like what Forever said about changing types in the Dream World... though very unlikely. I think what would be a nice twist on starters would be different final evolution formes or different final evolution lines (much like Oddish for example.) I honestly would love to see something like this happen with starters at some point. It would add some cool diversity.

The Red Chain

To contribute to the topic though. I kind of like what Forever said about changing types in the Dream World... though very unlikely.
    Oh no here we go with the Delta type of craziness. ;~;

No matter how interesting that is, and how awesome Steel-type Magikarp would be, I highly doubt that would happen. That would just eff everyone over completely, competitively and in-game. XDD Though I dunno, they seem to be pulling a lot of trolls on us fans lately... >>; Oh fun.

Anywho. I dunno, the Fire/Fighting doesn't bug me too much anymore, but I kinda expected Pokabu's typing to make up for the crappy evolution.. didn't even do that very well. Not to say the typing is terrible, but I expected like.. Fire/Dark, or something interesting like that.
    My opinion, don't shoot me. D:

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    but someone else i highly respect on this forum, which a similar thought process to my own: Sammuthegreat
    said exactly word for word what i was going to say once i finished with the pointless argument.

his statement is below in the spoiler for those who wish to see it.
    Spoiler:

im just disappointed in the untapped potential of such a great fire beginner
    this one couldve been brilliant, but instead itll a novelty beginner like piplup, or chikorita (novelty beginners are beginners who barely if ever seen online play outside of peoples favorites)

Last edited by a moderator:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Meh, I'm giving up trying to be the optimist in this thread. I'll just have to accept that the Fire/Fighting pisses some people off more than others. I was slightly disappointed too, but it's not worth arguing about. I love its design regardless, so I'll use it. It having such a good typing as Fire/Fighting, no matter if it's unoriginal or not, is just a bonus. :P

zealot

The King of Fail
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2024
    Fire/Fighting does not thrill me, but I'm not gonna whine all day about it when Tsutaja has been essentially doomed to UU by being Pure Grass. It's hard to complain when there have been so many other designs that I like, so I suppose I can live with boxing my starter.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    You are a wise man.

Everyone (especially the youngsters), I suggest you all read this post at least 5 times.

I very much like the way you think. :cer_nod: I agree 100% with what you said.

but someone else i highly respect on this forum, which a similar thought process to my own: Sammuthegreat
    said exactly word for word what i was going to say once i finished with the pointless argument.

So much praise :embarrass... I'm glad you all agree. It seems that the argument has ceased now anyways.

I'm interested to see if the final evolutions do turn out fake. I still hold out hope that they are; I don't actually mind Pokabu's third stage even if it is too similar to Rhyperior for me to really love it. I'm not a big fan of Tsutaja's final stage - although I'm not a big fan of his other two stages either - but I like Mijumaru's final stage.

The thing is, I really am struggling to reconcile the description we've been officially given of Mijumaru3 - samurais and shell katanas and such - with the leaked image. It could be that I'd need to see it in another pose/in the animé to convince me, but I just don't see it as a samurai at the moment. The only thing that seems to match up between the official description and the leaked art is that it vaguely resembles a sealion (although how many sealions has anyone ever seen that have four legs?!).

The noticeable thing for me is that the only image regarding the starters in the leaked CoroCoro that we can 100% say is real is the page with Pokabu2 and Aloe on it. This clearly proves that Pokabu2 is real - as indeed everyone knows at this point. The salient point for me though is that - presumably, I don't read Japanese - the potentially fake pages with all three starter evos must be the ones with the details about their typings, because it wouldn't make sense to reveal Pokabu2's typing on the Aloe page when there are no details of the other two starters on that page. This leads me to believe (or hope) that maybe - just maybe - the rumoured typings are false, as the only page with that info on it may well be fake.

I guess we'll have to wait and see though, folks!

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Oh no here we go with the Delta type of craziness. ;~;

No matter how interesting that is, and how awesome Steel-type Magikarp would be, I highly doubt that would happen. That would just eff everyone over completely, competitively and in-game. XDD Though I dunno, they seem to be pulling a lot of trolls on us fans lately... >>; Oh fun.

I was leaning more towards my idea than that one though. :P

"I think what would be a nice twist on starters would be different final evolution formes or different final evolution lines (much like Oddish for example.) I honestly would love to see something like this happen with starters at some point. It would add some cool diversity."

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2010
    I thought these games were going to bring a more older take on Pokemon, as the protagonists are older. The starters look a little too "cute" to me. I mean, I like them, they're growing on me, it just dosn't seem fitting for a 17 year old to have a cute little pig... I'll probably end up going with Tsutarja, as it looks awsome.

I agree. I just hope that the final evolutions are a bit more badass.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    The noticeable thing for me is that the only image regarding the starters in the leaked CoroCoro that we can 100% say is real is the page with Pokabu2 and Aloe on it. This clearly proves that Pokabu2 is real - as indeed everyone knows at this point. The salient point for me though is that - presumably, I don't read Japanese - the potentially fake pages with all three starter evos must be the ones with the details about their typings, because it wouldn't make sense to reveal Pokabu2's typing on the Aloe page when there are no details of the other two starters on that page. This leads me to believe (or hope) that maybe - just maybe - the rumoured typings are false, as the only page with that info on it may well be fake.

I'm sad to inform you of this, but the word for "fighting" type is on the Aloe page. It feels like game over. It sucks really, a monotype, fire/fighting third repeat, monotype starter trio. Those creations deserved better than that. They had so much more potential...

Years
    Just found out that the Grass Starter Evolves at lvl 17.
    The Starter Discussion Thread

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Unless it has a beneficial nature, im suprised by how high its Sp.Def is.
    Other than that, it looks.... weird...
    its putting me off Tsutaaja..

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Unless it has a beneficial nature, im suprised by how high its Sp.Def is.
    Other than that, it looks.... weird...
    its putting me off Tsutaaja..

And how low its Sp. Atk is... Assuming it's a Careful nature, meaning -Sp.Atk and +Sp.Def, its stats with a neutral nature would be 24 Sp.Atk and 34 Sp.Def, which are both still surprising, I'd have expected them the other way round.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back