• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    So true. =/
    I think it would've been better off if all the starters just stayed mono typed... I mean, it almost feels like GF made the other two starters mono typed just to show off the fact that they made yet ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter. 3:<

Which makes it all the more worse... :(
    I bet even the little kids who started with DPPt will notice this... :\

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    ^I started Pokemon with Blaziken, too! :t257:

Regarding Enbuoo/Pignition, I'm debating between Flare Blitz and Heat Stamp. With the former, you get +20 Power at the loss of HP, but with the latter, you don't have to worry about recoil damage... But Enbuoo/Pignition with Reckless+Flare Blitz and Wild Bolt does sound enticing, and has the potential to devastate a few foes... :D Plus, with an adequate supply of HP, I guess Flare Blitz can be dished out a few times.

Since we have the Fire/Fighting type combo being repeated for this Gen (unfortunately) yet again, I figured Pignition should at least have access to Close Combat to pack even more of a punch... In any case, Pignition is going to be very fun to use. If it survives your attack, you're likely to be a goner once it attacks, and if it somehow manages to outspeed you... ;)

Personally, I wanted Pignition to learn Punishment (when I saw the moveset revealed, I was originally going to use Assurance as a "substitute") as I originally wanted it to be Fire/Dark (which would've taken the place of Heat Stamp on the aforementioned moveset...but I'll opt instead for either Hammer Arm or Brick Break for STAB)

^(And as a side-note, every time you mention the term 'Piggy', my mind brings up thoughts of either the Muppet or that stupid Lord of the Flies book, which don't exactly fit into Pokemon's context... *shudders*) On another side-note, why does Enbuoo have EVs geared toward Special Attack...? Plus, the Nature is Brave...wouldn't Adamant work better, to preserve/retain what speed Enbuoo/Pignition has left? :\

In short, Pignition's ferocity will be unleashed with a vengeance quite soon.
    :D

lol @ Piggy comment.

As for the EVs, it doesn't matter, really. It's only 6 EVs so it won't make a difference whether it goes to Def, SpA, SpD or Spe. Brave is an option for TrickRoom or else if you want to make use of Fire Blast or Overheat, but adamant works just as well. I originally had adamant/brave listed but then just wrote brave because it doesn't matter much I think.

You're right, though, that adamant is ideal at least in competitive battling; I just want to keep my options open in-game in case I decide to teach it a special move (it gets Boiling Water!), especially now that TMs are re-usable; you can always change one move or two every time you're gonna battle to keep the element of surprise more or less.

And as for the art, I love it. There needs to be more of it, srsly.

- - - - - - - - -

@TypingDiscussion

Well honestly I'd rather keep Smuglord as pure Grass rather than have another Grass/Poison or Grass/Ground (which could have easily been typings for him); in theory we could have had a Grass/Dragon, but in practice I knew this wasn't going to happen, period, and although Grass/Flying would have been interesting (the idea being that he's a gliding tree snake), it'd have been weak to Stealth Rock and have quad weak to Ice therefore sending him to NU for sure (it cannot attack properly due to its offenses; Torterra is not NU despite his quad weak to Ice because his movepool is very good, his typing is nifty, and he's got good defensive and offensive capabilities; Jalord on the other hand hasn't got much in the way of offence, and therefore needs to abuse his speed and good defenses for SubSeeding).

As for Dakinky (lol), I am veeery disappointed that he's pure Water; I think he should have been Water/Fighting and should have gotten better moves. Sure, being pure Water isn't bad, but it's definitely boring and limiting. And the whole "Fighting =/= quadruped" thing makes no sense since this gen we have fighters which stand on four legs. Plus, it's a samurai otter/sealion. How can it not be Water/Fighting? Giant otters fight sometimes, and sea lions definitely do during the breeding season. XD I still like it, but seriously, a resistance to Stealth Rock and STAB from Fighting moves would have been really nice...

Finally, on Emboar's typing... idk if you guys have heard about how Infernape is based on the monkey from Journey to the West? Yeah, well, Emboar is is based on the boar found in this Chinese story/legend as well, and they both knew martial arts, hence the Fighting type (I'm not too sure about this, but I believe that that's the reason; it's what I've heard). I dunno, I personally am glad that it's Fire/Fighting instead of pure Fire. Pure Fire is everywhere and weak to Stealth Rock, and it doesn't have a cool resistance to Dark and quad resist to Bug. :c

Also, Ares, the Greek God of War, could transform into a wild boar at will. Wild boars in Celtic and Persian mythologies are also associated with war. So a Fire starter based on a wild boar was kinda inevitably doomed to be Fire/Fighting, even if every single Fire starter before it had the same typing. XD

Last edited:

Bear

Fascist baby.
    Years
    I find their typings insulting.

The fire thing has two types while the others have to make do with one. Sure, it wouldn't necessarily have made them better, but it sure as hell would have made it more interesting. So what if it meant that they could have had a double weakness? Could've made for a nice challenge.

And this is the third generation in a row with a Fire/Fighting starter evo.

Sigh, Nintendo.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ugh! This generation is so confusing to me. I have not liked ALL of the starters EVER before. Closest ever was in Gen III with Blazekin and Sceptile. Well, since I've seen Pokabu's final evolution in full movement I think I'll just follow my brother and I's tradition and get the fire starter as he always gets the grass one. I'll just use the other two competitively since they are awesome too. I <3 Gen V

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    I find their typings insulting.

The fire thing has two types while the others have to make do with one. Sure, it wouldn't necessarily have made them better, but it sure as hell would have made it more interesting. So what if it meant that they could have had a double weakness? Could've made for a nice challenge.

And this is the third generation in a row with a Fire/Fighting starter evo.

Sigh, Nintendo.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it was 'insulting'.

Gen IV gave us dual types for every final starter form. In my opinion, this didn't work all too well. Empoleon was clearly at a disadvantage in comparison with Torterra and Infernape, who had the Fighting and Ground types, respectively, which are both strong against steel. As far as I'm concerned, they broke the chain with Gen IV.

I'm glad Game Freak have gone back simple typing, by keeping 2 starters with a single type and one with two. Sure, it might have been nice to see a different type stuck on either our Water or Grass starter and have our Fire starter as a single typed Pokemon, but hey, what difference does it make really? Not an astronomical one.

JMS

The cake was a lie.
    Years
    Daikenki <3

My Daikenki is just a flat out powerhouse since it evolved. Shell Blade has been taking out most pokemon(that isn't grass) in 2-3 hits at the most. Excellent move combined with Slash and Surf. Now if I can find a good move to replace Aqua Jet, I'll be good to go.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    I like pokabu very much, i like the best wishes part that iris squeeze in his cheek, very adorable sound he have :)

The Red Chain

Ugh! This generation is so confusing to me. I have not liked ALL of the starters EVER before. Closest ever was in Gen III with Blazekin and Sceptile. Well, since I've seen Pokabu's final evolution in full movement I think I'll just follow my brother and I's tradition and get the fire starter as he always gets the grass one. I'll just use the other two competitively since they are awesome too. I <3 Gen V

I thought about the first part of this yesterday, and I completely agree. <3 I find it very odd how I love all three starters so much for once.. while favoring Tsutaaja, I adore the other two a lot as well. In the beginning I only liked Mijumaru cause it's shadow made me think it was a kitty. When I saw it, I still thought it was really adorable, but then Taaja started growing on me. I think the meme for it, Smugleaf, is what made me like it even more. I'm a sucker for sarcastic jerk-types. XD Then when I found out one of them in the anime is a female, that did it for me in terms of Tsutaaja. Seeing Mijumaru be a non-cowardly type like it was debated, and whip out that shell blade like a samurai.. Pokabu's adorable voice and way of "breathing" fire in the anime.. it was a done deal. <3

I don't think I'll ever stop liking all three starters, they are just way too amazing. <3

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it was 'insulting'.

Gen IV gave us dual types for every final starter form. In my opinion, this didn't work all too well. Empoleon was clearly at a disadvantage in comparison with Torterra and Infernape, who had the Fighting and Ground types, respectively, which are both strong against steel. As far as I'm concerned, they broke the chain with Gen IV.

I'm glad Game Freak have gone back simple typing, by keeping 2 starters with a single type and one with two. Sure, it might have been nice to see a different type stuck on either our Water or Grass starter and have our Fire starter as a single typed Pokemon, but hey, what difference does it make really? Not an astronomical one.

i loved that every starter had dual types last gen. and saying torterra + infernape had type advantages is kinda nulled by surf + ice beam yano?

but im kind of happy with the typings for this gen! pure grass is kinda eh for tsutarja but i will survive and pokabus evolution is my favourite of the fire/fightings so i dont mind its typing :) also pure water is better than water/ice for mijumaru so im ok with that too

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    also pure water is better than water/ice for mijumaru so im ok with that too

What ;; The final evolution totally looks like an ice-type though! ...and fighting would've suited Futachimaru more, imo.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Oh wow it is pure water type?! I thought it was water/fighting all along. The middle evo IS a otter/samurai so why isn't it water/fighting! How stupid... Some of Isshu's illogical typing amazes me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    OH MY GOD. I just found out Pokabu's final evo's moveset.

STRENGTH, BOILING WATER, FLAME THROWER, BRICK BREAK, EARTHQUAKE? (The latter two being what the others lack). OH MY GOD I MUST GET IT. <3333333

Soooo gunna get one and teach it Boiling Water and Flamethrower and Brick Break and Earthquake <3

It's like, my favourite starter ever. FIRE POKEMON DON'T USUALLY HAVE WATER MOVES HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ooooh I was right in originally liking Pokabu <33

/fangirling over brick break and earthquake :x

Crig

M
    Years
    I took Tsutaaja. I usually Start with Fire or Electric Type but i wanted to change and also, he looks way cooler haha.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Wow, I didn't realize so many people like "smugleaf". :O

I'm still going to pick it, but if they do make a third game (Which they probably will), then I will pick the fire one and probably name it Ganon. :P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    OH MY GOD. I just found out Pokabu's final evo's moveset.

STRENGTH, BOILING WATER, FLAME THROWER, BRICK BREAK, EARTHQUAKE? (The latter two being what the others lack). OH MY GOD I MUST GET IT. <3333333

Soooo gunna get one and teach it Boiling Water and Flamethrower and Brick Break and Earthquake <3

It's like, my favourite starter ever. FIRE POKEMON DON'T USUALLY HAVE WATER MOVES HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ooooh I was right in originally liking Pokabu <33

/fangirling over brick break and earthquake :x
    wow it learns boiling water :D?! That's cool, well I'm glad more people are liking Pokabu again :)

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
    I'm taking Wooter. And I'm naming him/her Wooter. Daikenki looks pretty cool :D and he learns Megahorn ^^
    After looking at this comic, I'm more motivated to choose Mijumaru:
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back