• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Mijumaru, at this current moment in time, is my favorite.

I don't know why, I normally go for the water types at the start of the game; they are cooler to me =]

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
    Snivy is okay.

Tepig is like "Teh Pig" which doesn't really sound right.........

Miju.... I mean, Oshawott is horrible. Creative but it just doesn't sound right for Miju... I mean, Oshawott.

Years
    I agree, Oshawott doesn't really match Mijumaru's design. I think I would rather prefer Miju being simple and Tsutaaja's english name being more like Oshawott.

Khengi

Nostalgic Trainer
    Years
    Mijumaru was the only one I could stand to look at it.

They seem pretty okay after evolving, though.

Years
    I think my decision of choosing Tsutaja has gone up since it's English name release. Not only is Snivy awesome, it's much better than Oshawott and Tepig, the former still sounding Japanese and the latter not matching Pokabu at all. IMO.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    lol@Oshawott comment. It actually... does relate to that location in some strange way. XD;

And same, Pokabu sounded much better than Tipeg, but I guess in the past we all knew eventually we'd get English names that would most likely... not be as popular? :( I still miss Pokabuuu.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    I'm with Logiedan on this one. It as well appears that I will be renaming most of the Pokemon myself. I haven't been one to nick-name my Pokemon, but a name like Snivy or Tepig is kinda of a turn-off. On the other hand, I'm actually a fan of the final evolutions for the Water- and Grass-type. The Fire-type, not the least bit. I've also gotten a little bored of the fact for the last three generations the Fire-type has been Fire/Fighting. It would've been nice for them to be a little more creative.

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Haha, you guys should check out their German names. Those are much worse than the English ones :P

But yea, I'm going to pick Snivy (if I get the new games), as it's appearing to be the most decent Pokémon of the starters.

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Yea, Floink really isn't too bad when you don't think of it as a rip off of "Spoink". I mean, c'mon, this is almost the same name!

By the way, I just love your theme, Logiedan :3

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I was going to pick oshawott, but then I saw its first evolution... I'm now going with snivy. Snivys evo are the only ones I think that don't look horrible.

Which is why my Oshawott (whom I'm going to nickname Mijumaru) isn't going to evolve.
    I like him just how he is.

Not to be rude, but why is Snivy receiving so much extra praise compared to the other two starters?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Not to be rude, but why is Snivy receiving so much extra praise compared to the other two starters?

I never really was a fan of that Pokemon, but most people like it because it looks "smug", aka where Smugleaf came from. They like the concept of a snake with limbs that thinks it's better than everyone else. :(

Tepig, really, I thought would have been the most popular because it was most adorable when I first saw it.

Years
    Also, to be honest. We shouldn't really base our opinions on the first evolution only. I'm thinking it's most likely people will rename or atleast not keep the name 'SNIVY' to the last evolutions(Jalorda? I think that's what it's name is). Last evolutions have different names too. ):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back