• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: The Sun and Moon Starters: A Closer Look into our New Pokémon

Years
  • Spoiler:

Saw this making the rounds and it caught my interest. Most probably fake but still a fun idea of what the starters second stage could turn out to look like.

They're definitely fakes, but the coconut on Rowlet would be something I'd love to see it go down with the evos. A coat made of leaves could be interesting as well, especially if they want to give off a ringmaster with the theorized circus influence.

Litten being biped is just going to be boring because some people want change and have a Fire starter that remains quadruped throughout the evolution line for the first time. But also the biped direction this artist is taking could also suggest a strongman, but also a bit more tiger to keep with the Chinese Zodiac pattern.

Popplio may look like more clown than ever in this piece of art but there's still room for it to become something unpredictable, especially with what we've learned from Froakie and Oshawott. If the circus theme is still present it's very likely to be the clown, but I also believe the GF artists may have designed it in a way that will make Popplio more appealing and may win more fans over.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    It's a good analysis, but I'm not sure if the game's theme will be conservation. Not that I have a problem with it, but didn't we already have a nature theme in R/S/E and ORAS?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Increasingly convinced Popplio will evolve into something that has a clown afro.
    Spoiler:

And it'll be made out of bubbles. It already looks dumb so go all the way.

Bookmark this post. If I'm right on the money I'll pick Popplio. I can already see what the final evo will look like, mmmm.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I am hoping they make Popplio silly looking with frill and a big finned tail with tribal markings for Water/fairy type.

Years
  • Increasingly convinced Popplio will evolve into something that has a clown afro.
    Spoiler:

And it'll be made out of bubbles. It already looks dumb so go all the way.

Bookmark this post. If I'm right on the money I'll pick Popplio. I can already see what the final evo will look like, mmmm.

There was also this little theory I brought up in that its back fins could become more like feet and be more adept to land.

Seriously, Popplio's evolutions could go anywhere at this point but maybe when we get at least the middle stages we might eventually get the theme, like how we picked up on the Kalos starters being themed around RPG classes.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I think Poplio might be the first to have more fin based evolutions since it prefers water to land. That would be great for design purposes.

The thought that litten has flammable fur and fire fur balls makes some interesting images pop up for evolution possibilities.

Rowlet is already round... I see this set's Emboar shaped starter evolution, but this is the first Flying type starter, so they may go big winged, too

I really hope to see one or all of them get Hawaiian tribal masks in evolutions

Years
  • Rowlet is already round... I see this set's Emboar shaped starter evolution, but this is the first Flying type starter, so they may go big winged, too

Charizard was actually our first Flying starter, but unlike Charizard, Rowlet is going to have Flying likely throughout its entire evolution line.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Charizard was actually our first Flying starter, but unlike Charizard, Rowlet is going to have Flying likely throughout its entire evolution line.

oops.. Very true..

Speaking of rowlet, Leaf-age attack seems like a great idea, but the name... does it make sense?.. I guess it doesn't matter

Years
  • oops.. Very true..

Speaking of rowlet, Leaf-age attack seems like a great idea, but the name... does it make sense?.. I guess it doesn't matter

The move was likely introduced as a way to give Grass a move that's on base power equal to Water Gun and Ember. Most Grass-type starters often got Absorb or Vine Whip for their first STAB move and they were usually weaker than what the Fire and Water counterparts got, and while Vine Whip did get a power buff in 6th Gen it still didn't feel like it was a significant change.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Vine Whip is stronger than Water Gun and Ember in gen 6 though.

Buuut I think it's necessary for grass starters to get better early grass moves. They always felt unnecessarily weaker than water and fire starters because of that.

Years
  • Vine Whip is stronger than Water Gun and Ember in gen 6 though.

Buuut I think it's necessary for grass starters to get better early grass moves. They always felt unnecessarily weaker than water and fire starters because of that.

I was aware of the power buff, in that it finally caught up to the other moves. Even Bubble, which Froakie started with, also got buffed in 6th Gen to now hit as hard as Water Gun. Earlier generations definitely showed Grass being unnecessarily weaker, especially Treecko in Hoenn getting weaker moves than Torchic and Mudkip.

Back