• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] The Time Warp Challenge

Years
  • So, here it is a new challenge on Pokémon Platinum. I have actually already started the challenge and then left it because I was busy. Guess what? I am still busy lol. But I am trying to find space for going ahead with this challenge.

The Time Warp Challenge is about choosing an era and playing according given rules.
    I chose "The Progressive Era". The rules are:

-Era Types: Normal, Steel, Grass, Fire, Water, Fairy

-Mandatory Pokemon:
    Sinnoh: Evolution of an earlier Generation Pokemon (Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, Porygon-Z, Magnezone, Leafeon, Glaceon, Lickilicky)

-Banned Types: Bug, Poison, Dark, Ghost, Psychic

-Era Rules:
    - Women's Suffrage- All your Pokemon have to be Female.

- Efficiency Movement- You must pick up any item you come across.

- Eliminate Corruption- You must sell lower grade items for at least 1 better grade item.

As for now, it hasn't been too challenging but going ahead I am pretty sure it will.
    Here's my planned team:

- Empoleon
    - Togekiss (mandatory Pokémon)
    - Abomasnow
    - Lucario
    - Steelix
    - Bastiodon

Years
  • So, the first part is pretty easy. Having Piplup as a starter, I pretty much know how to deal with most gyms. The first gym wasn't a problem.

Side note: it wasn't probably a good choice, but I decided to play on my DS for this challenge.

The Time Warp Challenge

Prinplup learns Peck, so I somehow managed to do something against Gardenia. In that time, I got the Togepi egg and resetted the event (not with cheats obviously) to get a female Togepi. It took around 6/8 tries. Kinda same with Piplup.

The Time Warp Challenge

Finally, I even got the Exp. Share which is obviously great with only two Pokemon. It helped me a lot, considering how hard it can be to train Togepi, since it has very bad moves. Also, I will try to keep HMs to my team, because I like it.
    About the items, that's just the way I play: I pick up every item, so it wasn't really a malus to the gameplay lol. About the rule to trade it for a better item, I find this rule extremely interesting and despite it's not really doing any damage for now, I am pretty sure it will. Actually, while playing I just realized that it's way more convenient to use the items as soon as possible, because that way you won't loose the battle and money (which can be important in this challenge) and you'll have an item less to trade. The hardest part is that it's not really my way of playing a Pokémon game. If I can avoid a cure and retry, I often just retry.
    I will provide a list of the traded item in the end of the post. Notice that I might have a part of it.

Talking about lost things, I have lost the pic with Fantina lol. Anyway, you can trust me because I have gone further with the game and I also have a pic of the badges. I don't really remember the battle, but from my experience it could have been a bit harder considering the magical leaf move super effective on Prinplup.

I went ahead with the game and got to the fourth gym. Prinplup evolved into Empoleon. This is something that quite worries me: the level gap of the team. On the one hand, I know the game can be done with Empoleon alone but with a high level, but that's not what I will do. My team is still of just two members but this is just because the other team members aren't available yet. Anyway, the next gym wasn't too hard to beat. Lucario was quite tricky but I managed to get through it. And this is where have the last pics, even if I went a little ahead.

The Time Warp Challenge

The Time Warp Challenge

After this gym, I went ahead with the story and now I am in Pastoria Town, about to defeat the gym leader. Togepi finally evolved into Togetic and learned some interesting moves. The combo yawn + wish (especially on Empoleon) saved me several times tbh. Other than that, it also learned Ancient Force, which is a move that actually deals damage. Now, Togekiss can be a great support: good defense, really good moves like encore, yawn, wish. But I still not sure if this is going to be her final role in the team because I also need damages and coverage to grass. A lot of coverage to grass lol.

TEAM:

- Empoleon, level 39
    - Togetic, level 34

ITEM TRADED (by rules):

3 potions -> 3 super potions
    1 potion -> 1 super potion
    2 repels -> 2 max repels
    1 super potion -> 1 hyperpotion
    3 pokeball -> 3 ultraballs
    1 great ball -> 1 ultraball
    2 paralyze heal -> 2 full heals
    1 awakening -> 1 full heal

Years
  • Back on this after almost 2 years!

I am almost completing the challenge. So far, I managed to get the 7th medal, I managed to defeat Cyrus and Giratina and got my 8th medal as well. I am currently doing victory road.

As for my team:

- Abomasnow, lvl 42
    - Lucario, lvl 43
    - Steelix, lvl 45
    - Empoleon, lvl 49
    - Togekiss, lvl 46
    - Pelipper, lvl 34

I do have low level Pelipper right now, but the plan is to catch one in the water of the Pokemon League, so it's easier to handle levels like this.
    They almost have bad moves, even because I don't like having an HM slave in this gen. Despite that, most HMs are relatively good moves. Steelix has no ground or rock moves, which would indeed be helpful.

Finally, I picked up all items, which made me remember how beautiful gen 4 exploration is. Didn't find many upgradable items. Only 1 Mega ball -> 1 Ultra ball

A bit scared for the League.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The final part of the challenge was indeed pretty hard. Not a fan of the situations in which everything til the League goes extremely smooth, but then at the League, it gets pretty hard. However, it often happened with most challenges.

As you might know, I played on the DS itself, which made things slower, but that's ok. I decided to avoid resetting some battles and accept the loss. I had to do the League three times to finally beat it. The first time I lost against Flint. I accepted the loss and went to train again. I bought some more supplies and tried another time. This time, I managed to get past Flint. Lucian has always been pretty hard to beat and here's when I had to keep resetting, mainly because I needed some tries to elaborate the correct strategy. Once I got past it, it was time for Cynthia.
    This is was the hard part. The level gap was real and my team, despite the kind of strategy, could not do it. In addition to it, I had another thing that made things a bit harder: since I am gonna keep this save file and keep playing on it and probably make pokemon for the Battle Frontier, I decided to avoid spending too much money and especially to avoid teaching my pokemon most TMs. This, of course made things a little harder, with some pokemon like Steelix having a not particularly good moveset: strength, rock climb, curse and sandstorm.
    Overall, the problem was that almost every move KOed all of my pokemon. So, I decided to purposely loose the battle against Cynthia and keep training. Right when I was about to do that last fight against Cynthia in which I was supposed to loose, something happened. Basically, Cynthia uses 3 full heals. In some trials, my plan was to get her to spend them all of Spiritomb, who could be easily defeated by Empoleon. But, Cynthia after using a full heal once, preferred to let Spritomb die. What happened in this particular match was that I kept pressing the same move with Empoleon because I simply wanted to be defeated to start over. Eventually, Spiritomb was healed and once it was about to die again, here's that Cynthia does an interesting move: she changes it for Lucario. This happened several hours ago, therefore, I can't remember the exact moves I did, but I got myself the damage calculator and thought about each move very carefully. Eventually, I managed to get extremely close to the victory. So close that, technically, mathematically I won. But things went differently. My last pokemon was Togekiss and Cynthia's was Roserade. I successfully managed to put Roserade to sleep, while Roserade poisoned my Togekiss. There was the hail set up by Abomasnow too. I didn't input all the data on the damage calculator and therefore, I didn't get an actually precise output and that made me do a wrong move, which was not healing Togekiss, knowing that she would have resisted both poison and hail. But that wasn't the case. Because of those, my Togekiss fainted and I lost the battle. This is the last thing I saw:
    Spoiler:

And that was heartbreaking, despite the fact that if I look at the "challenging side" of the game, I managed to plan all of the moves correctly. So, while it's not an actual victory, I am proud of what I managed to accomplish in that game and to me, that's basically a win, because such a mistake it's not a strategy mistake, but rather a bad calculation made on a not perfect result that I read on the calculator.
    Anyway, I tried a couple of more times, but Cynthia didn't do the same move these other times and I just preferred loosing and starting over again. I did some changes that made my team stronger:
    - Togekiss forgot Fly and instead learned air slash
    - I got Mystic Water and gave it to Empoleon. Side note: I wanted to do that since my first try at the League, but not only I forgot the first time. I forgot even the second time lol
    - trained my team

I bought some more supplies just in case and the League was extremely easy up til Flint. The first trial was instead a lot harder even in the earlier stages. I remember that to win against the ground E4, I had to plan my moves very carefully. Lucian was harder as usual and I had to figure out the right strategy for the different pokemon. It required me more thinking, but overall, I managed pretty well. Finally Cynthia. She's strong, no doubt. I had to use some supplies and to carefully think about turns and stuff. I used the calculator too while being more specific and it still wasn't exactly perfect, but it was indeed a good indication. I finally managed to beat her and therefore I completed this old challenge I had started lol.

Spoiler:

Overall, it was fun and had nice rules. I feel like the worst part was the League for another reason: the team was mainly steel type. which doesn't help when almost each pokemon of the 4th E4 and of the champion has very powerful fighting type coverage moves. Another thing I want to add is that while Steelix had a role at some point during my 2nd League trial, it just came to the field to die for repositioning in the 3rd trial. I wasn't fun of that, but she was definitely less useful than other members of the team.

Finally, my idea is to platinate this save file of Pokemon Platinum, meaning that I want to complete pokemon platinum: battle frontier, contests, pokedex, ecc. I will make a newer thread on that and this run is the main story save file.

Back