• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] The True Identity of Professor Oak's Son

Years
  • One of the greatest mysteries surrounding the Pokemon franchise has always been the identity of our rival character's father in Pokemon Red & Blue and for the longest time it didn't seem like this mystery would bear any fruit. Typically in Pokemon games father figures are treated as a non entity but Red & Blue felt the need to establish the fact Professor Oak was indeed Blue's grandfather and that there was indeed a missing father figure for Blue. So the real question of the hour is... who is Blue's father and why has he been missing for such a long time?

The games don't give us many clues but the one thing to note is that unlike Red's father who's referred to in the past tense in Red & Blue, this isn't the case with Blue's father and nor do we see any sort of sign that they met with a tragic fate which to me suggests whomever it is could well be alive, and out in the world. With that in mind there is one character I'd like to call attention to...

Looker.

First thing of note regarding Looker is that he works for the International Police which in the Pokemon World is a Global Police Service which would explain why he's not present in Kanto when Red, Blue and Yellow roll around as his work would require him to travel all over the world for the sake of his job.

The second thing to mention is his connection to Emma in Pokemon XY. If you've not played the Looker Side-Missions in XY the game goes out of it's way to show how much Looker cares not only for Emma but all of her friends, the other orphaned kids of Lumiose City. To the point where he shows a fatherly like affection for her throughout the game, could it just be he feels sorry for Emma or is it his fatherly instincts returning to him after being apart from his family for so long.

But last and perhaps most importantly
    https://ibb.co/zGzDT8Y

The resemblance. Their stark dark eye colour, their skin complexion, and even the colour of their eye brows are the same.

Honestly I really don't have any true evidence to back this up but the series has gone out of it's way to play up the importance of Lookers character and for me this fits so damn well with his character I had to at least mention it.

What do you guys think?

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • It's an interesting theory that's for sure and it would explain his relative absence in you rival's house, but yeah that leaves the mother as a question as well. I also always chocked up his affection for Emma as the want to become a father than already being one, but I guess it could go either way.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • My first objection to this is that he has a manner of speech in the older games that suggest he comes from a rather different region to those the first four, including SInnoh come from (aka Japan-based areas). Why would he have that when Oak is a native?

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
  • Certainly interesting theory.

Aside from the jokes about Ash/Red being his son, I personally point to Jasmine as being his daughter. Based on her persistence within other games, (Sunnyshore City), her resemblance to Oak, and her usage of steel type (She references its recent discovery in GSC) it would seem that she is a position of relative privilege to travel and to utilize the cutting edge of Pokémon research within her battle strategy through her father.

It is not the strongest connection, however I like to think it to be true. :D

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Huh, I'm surprised I missed this thread when it was posted! Definitely an interesting theory. This is completely anecdotal but your theory also brings into question why Looker wouldn't be investigating where Blue's father went off to as well, considering he's more or less a missing persons case now.

Years
    • Seen today
    When I was a kid, I always thought Giovanni was Oak's son (or at least, son-in-law). Blue never seems to be concerned with stopping Team Rocket, and in fact, he shows up in the middle of two of their plots, trying to stop you from progressing forward. He's practically outside the door to the office Giovanni has taken over, at Silph Co. Then, when Giovanni disappears, Blue takes over his gym. I thought that Oak wouldn't mention his son's name, because he was embarrassed with what he had become.

Granted, this is all circumstantial evidence, but I think it could work. I think the rival from Gold/Silver is canon as Giovanni's son, though, and Oak never mentions his connection with this character, as far as I know.

Back