• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years

Did it ever occur to you that that is their language, and they haven't had it translated yet? You cannot say that is a turn off, as people make English hacks, but others cannot understand it as much. Patience is required.

I hate the use of bad grammar. Also, the script quality and maps and Tiles... Lots of things, but if they don't edit the tiles, I don't really care - it is just if they make them so bad...
    Languagey... lyl...

You have to define the differens between a beta and complete hack...

If tiles can be a turn down, you can always defend bad tiles with it's gonna be changed...

I don't see any difference between language and tiles...

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years
    Bad grammar drives me crazy in a hack. And I'm not talking about ones that are mistranslated. I mean ones that just have bad grammar. (And this is coming from someone in Ky!)

NatureKeeper

Hacks are good, but I hate certain aspects..
    For example, my biggest pet peeve is First Person speech. It's the most un-Pokemonly thing ever, tbh, and is easily avoided. I mean, they don't do it in the official games, and that's at least one thing i'd like to see carried on into hacks.
    Another thing.. Spriting: when edit's are painfully obvious. Now, spriting can be tricky, and I can relate, as I edit myself. But, if you do edit, use at least 3 sprites, to make the new sprite look original. Recolours= bad, IMO.
    And.. Remakes, specifically Yellow.
    PIKACHU CANNOT FOLLOW, just wait for HG/SS, as they're remakes of better games than Yellow, anyways.
    I don't really mind GS remakes, but ShinyGoldX B.5 peeved me off a bit, it was so hard, lol.

Pikachu can follow. You need basic ASM. However, you can't talk to it.

TheDon

Shedinja Enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2018
    What bothers me a lot is impractical interiors of buildings. One hack that I played, the first gym was a lot like the Fiery Path in Hoenn, with rock ranges and lava pits inside the gym. Sure, Wallace's gym has ice everywhere, as well as Claire's gym having lava, but some hacked gyms have far too much stress on the type that you'll encounter. I personally was turned off by the eighth gym in Rijon Adventures (pretty sure this was the one), where you go into a gym, and it looks like you entered a route.

I'd also vouch for the grammar thing. I'm a complete grammar nazi when it comes to hacks. lol

Superkid11

Covered in Shroomish
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    1. Bad and numerous fakemon. Fakemon, I think, definitely have a quality over quantity rule going for them. If there are a lot of well-thought out fakemon that's one thing, but it seems to me it's usually just thrown together and quite badly sprited fakemon at that. (granted, I don't play many hacks, I've just read topics.) If I were to make a hack, I would only put in a few fakemon that had a lot of thought put into them. And I would sure as hell get good sprites for them. (The Smogon Fakemon would be very good to add, imo. They have a ton of thought put into them and already have good sprites.)
    Tl;dr: A few, good fakemon: Good.
    2. Bad spelling and grammar. The occasional mistake is ok, but too much of it is just unbearable.
    3. Having your character talk. This is one thing I really really don't like. I guess there are ways in which I can like it but mostly... guh, just imply the character's speech. I don't care if you have to make the npc say something that would be repetitive.

Can't think of anything else. A few other annoyances but nothing as grating as those three.

Last edited:

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
    welll first thing first...
    do you guys know that some of the people here doesn't know much about grammars?
    i mean like some of them come from different countries apart from american,english and etc..
    you cant blame them for their bad grammar error

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    i mean like some of them come from different countries apart from american,english and etc..

On that subject, I agree, I hate bad grammar, but I don't like it when someone from another country tries using English when they aren't so good at it.

Take HackMew for example, he lives in Italy, but his English is nearly flawless, therefore, I would not mind him making a hack completely in English.
    But if you are going to make a ROM hack, and you want to do it in a different language than you normally speak, or type, at least be sure you are GOOD at that language, or just make the hack in your own language!
    Look at Pokemon Naranja, wasn't originally in English, but was translated... and has been translated since it's initial release.

And it is a great game.
    Plus it would be nice to see some hacks done in different language, hehe.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Then either get someone else to help you with the grammar or you do it in your own language.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    A hack with:

• Bad Grammar: I really hate those hackers who puts words I cannot understand in a hack.
    • Boring Story: pretty much understandable.
    • Bad/Boring Maps: ^_^

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    1. Bad and numerous fakemon. Fakemon, I think, definitely have a quality over quantity rule going for them. If there are a lot of well-thought out fakemon that's one thing, but it seems to me it's usually just thrown together and quite badly sprited fakemon at that. (granted, I don't play many hacks, I've just read topics.) If I were to make a hack, I would only put in a few fakemon that had a lot of thought put into them. And I would sure as hell get good sprites for them. (The Smogon Fakemon would be very good to add, imo. They have a ton of thought put into them and already have good sprites.)
    Tl;dr: A few, good fakemon: Good.
    2. Bad spelling and grammar. The occasional mistake is ok, but too much of it is just unbearable.
    3. Having your character talk. This is one thing I really really don't like. I guess there are ways in which I can like it but mostly... guh, just imply the character's speech. I don't care if you have to make the npc say something that would be repetitive.

Can't think of anything else. A few other annoyances but nothing as grating as those three.

Actually, having a speaking protaganist is pretty mush ok for me, but when he/she curses, and a lot too, even iff the main character is say, 10 years old, I just think that the creator is only trying to outcurse the South Park movie, I hate it when people put swwears in their hacks just to make it "funny", It's ok if they have an occasional "Damn, crap, hell, or ass" but when you put too much in it, such as F bombs, and call it "funny", it's just a poor excuse for a lazy hacker who watches too much South Park.....

For the mispellings and grammar, it just pees me off to no end, espescially if the hack was translated from, say, spanish to english, and only by using google translator (fail translator), this is where "Engrish" comes from in those old mistranslated video games, like Zero Wing and it's famous "All Your Base are belong to us!"

Too much "Fakemon" as many call it, just gives a hack a bad vibe to it, especially poorly drawn ones, just look at Quartz for example. there is not one real pokemon in it, no Pikachu, Vulpix, Eevee, or even Mudkip, just a bunch of poorly drawn fakemon, 386 to be exact, that's all the pokemon thet existed during generation 3 (Ok, I admit, some of them were good, such as Jonic (it will stare into your soul for all eternity), others were so so, but some, however, just make you want to vomit. A few "good" fakemon is okay, but over 9000 poorly drawn fakemon, and you just flushed a good hack right down the toilet.

All 3 of these poor qualities describe hacks like Quartz

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2014
    My biggest petpeeves in hacks (and some apply to official games and the developers laziness):

- Cities that are shaped like the original towns. This is most annoying in the starter city. It's always (in the official game, sometimes in the hacks) in a forested area. Change that! Put it on a mountain-top or something.
    - Screenshots of pokemon battles. Unless there is a new attack animation, a new pokemon, or something else that is new, a pokemon battle will be virtually the same across every hack. No need to post a picture of one. We all know what they look like! >_<
    - A new evil organization with an old sprite (TR, Magma, Aqua). It just bugs me to see "Team Stabby McDeath Grunt" with a TR Sprite.

Thats all I can think of.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I don't even remember such an occurrence happening. :( Unless you mean Bugsy's gym, with its puddles caused by a water sprinkler plus trees and hedges abundant - think hydroponics. Might not really be practical, of course.

Must be meaning that Psychic gym in Seashore which is pretty much a replica of Seashore itself. :\

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2010
    ( I'm not sure I alreaady posted, if yes, you can delete both posts )
    It's a bit long so open up the Spoiler if you want to read.
    Spoiler:

I will complain later more :)

Last edited:

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    I hate hacks that are dumb,
    and have a story that is wierd and groosome pals,
    Else I will think that its good :)
    wait, wha?

-Games solely based on graphics (yes, I prefer Wind Waker to Ocarina). If a game's strong point is graphics, it won't interest me.
    -Games featuring the story. If you can't come up with a good story, fill it up with jokes -quartz-. If you still can't do anything better, sorry, buut...
    -Insanely hard games and absolutely easy games. I don't like spend hours training, nor beating the game just with the starter. Try finding a middle place between any of the official games and Shiny Gold X.
    -Spelling errors. At least, amazingly noticeable spelling errors. And I hate people who can't find the difference between "Your" (possesive) and "You're" (verb).
    lrnZelda

People behaving completely differently to how they would in real life (this is a problem in the officials too) like imagine saying to your mum aged ten, "Oh I'm gonna leave home forever now with a bunch of unruly pokemon without luggage or a place to sleep and throw myself into obscenely dangerous circumstances." and then instead of making some huge fuss and forbidding you she just says, "Oh that's mice darling. OH! I forgot your PokeNav repaired there you go." Gahhh!.

I also find it annoying when complete strangers say like "Hey, I don't need this coin case anymore. You can have it." and how your rival hates you for no apparrent reason.

I also hate it that you NEVER talk: "Hello, where are you from? Pallet town? How nice."

Of course, I also find it annoying with repeated stories, "You're aged ten and you do a favour for professor (INSERT NAME OF PLANT/TREE HERE) who gives you a pokemon and you leave on a pokemon adventure to collect gym badges, beat the elite four and destroy the Evil Team (Meh?).

I agree that completely lopsided starters are stupid.

But my pet hate has to be remnants of scripts from the original game: walking into grass and Oak suddenly appears, meeting Brendan on route 103, being give the town map by your rival's sister. The list goes on. It's just so stupid, if you are able to script at all, just remove these things or the whole map if it's built in and make your own darn scripts which are invariably better than ingame ones.

(In Bold) That made me laugh a LOT
    all your points are true XD

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
    i like the stopping evil team thing also. but i HATE-

fakemon and fusions
    retarded regions
    hard to catch pokemon in the begining of the game (like cyndaquil)
    painted sprites and pokemon
    early legonds
    dumb stroy..........
    and dumb evil team

what i do like is pokemon hacked remakes and anime based hacks(like pokemon shiny gold and and the highly anticipated pokemon johto adventures)

pokemon yellow remakes are to over done. i only like the ones that go to johto or pikachu follows

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    the ultamite turn off for me is when you only get a crappy starter, and you don't get to choose it, or if there isa wide verity (3-4 is all i like), and i also hate it when they base their maps off beauy, not playability. the last thing i hate is when you don't find out what evnt you are supose to do, like find the evil team's hq, or go to the lab and talk to the proffesor, when no one, or nothing tells you to do it.

God-of-Halloween

Two sides of a coin
    Years
    (on-topic) Oh man, Grammar is the worst. I agree with you there.
    The fact that Legendaries would be too easy or early on in the game would just make it boring.
    Something that I would abosuletly HATE in a hack is for it to contain offensive and/or immature features; racism and sexual themes for example. I like pokemon when it's pure.

(0ff-topic) Yes, I FINALLY learnt how to post! Lol.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
    Grammer and using faces like xD xP >_> >_< ;D :)
    These two things make a hack so unprofessional.
    And generic story lines i have had enough of them. and not the hack but the "newbies" who make them. and post a thread like this.
    Lik OMG mi Juzt Hd A idaz 4 a hxhor
    ths evl teem had liek amde tis macheni 2 liek kil othr pokmans n stuf.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back