• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The US 2012 Elections Thread / American Politics Discussion

Years
    The US 2012 General Elections Thread/ American Politics Thread.

Barack Obama announces 2012 re-election bid

Mr Obama has seen his approval rating dip during two years in office​

US President Barack Obama has announced his intention to stand for a second term in office in 2012.

Mr Obama's team released a video on his official website and sent an e-mail to supporters announcing his plans.

The president has an online network of millions of Americans and his web campaign was widely seen as a key plank of his election success in 2008.

The announcement was widely expected, and his campaign team are set to file election papers this week.

Mr Obama does not actually appear in the video, posted on YouTube as well as the official campaign website. Instead supporters look back to the 2008 campaign and talk of their hopes for the 2012 bid.

"I don't agree with Obama on everything but I respect him and I trust him," Ed, from North Carolina, says in the video, a line seen as voicing a perspective aimed at attracting liberals and independents who have criticised some of Mr Obama's policies.

In his e-mail to supporters, Mr Obama said the campaign would start small and grow over time, "with people organising block-by-block, talking to neighbours, co-workers, and friends".

"So even though I'm focused on the job you elected me to do, and the race may not reach full speed for a year or more, the work of laying the foundation for our campaign must start today."

Unveiling a new look for Mr Obama's campaign website, his team told supporters: "The idea is to improve upon what's worked for the past four years, scrap what hasn't, and build a campaign that reflects the thoughts and experiences of the supporters who've powered this movement."

Analysts say the president will now work to convince US citizens he has delivered the type of change he promised America in 2008.

And during the next 20 months before the presidential election, he will have to defend the policies his administration has worked to impose, like his health care overhaul and his efforts to revitalise the economy.

Mr Obama's re-election campaign is reportedly seeking to raise as much as $1bn (£620m), an increase on the $750m raised for the 2008 campaign.

As the incumbent, Mr Obama's team will be able to call on the support of different donors than they did in 2008, when cash was raised through huge numbers of small individual donations and Mr Obama began the campaign as an outsider.
    To be frank, I don't see anyone viable enough for an insurgent campaign in the Democratic Party side. Hillary Clinton was effectively neutralized in the Secretary of State Position so yeah.

The Republican side on the other hand is another free for all so yeah.

Oh how are US election campaigns never ending. :/

American Politics

Use this thread to discuss the American political system in its entirety, all the issues, all the parties, political figures, etc. If it has to do in any way with Politics, post it here. That way we will not have 6 threads on separate issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Yay! I can get addicted to FiveThirtyEight.com all over again! (Although now that Nate Silver has become a blogger for the New York Times, and the NYT are shifting to a paywall, it looks like I'll have to get much less of my fix that I did in '08.)

US elections and the Oscar season are one and the same to me: they're both waaaaaay too long, too political, and the best candidates aren't even in the race, but I can't help falling in love with them every time they happen!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would not have blamed Obama if after he came into office, spent four years trying to fix things, and then saw how much was left, he just threw up his hands and said "I give" without trying for a second term. Lol.

Years
    It would take someone with a lot of gumption to try to take the Democratic nomination from Obama. I just hope the Republicans don't pick someone heavily religious for their candidate.

I read something about an all-expenses-paid gathering in Iowa a week ago that invited hundreds of pastors as well as Mike Huckabee, Haley Barbour, Newt Gingrich and Michele Bachmann to talk about their conservative religious views, what a bad place America has become, and other dangerous liaisons between politics and religion.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I can't wait to see what candidates will be picked...sadly though it doesn't seem like it's going to be as entertaining as 2008 seeing as only the Republicans are going to do primaries (if the Democrats pick Obama as their Nominee from the start) though I guess it'll still be interesting ^_^

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I won't be voting Obama a second term unless he picks a different running mate. Biden's pissed me off too much on tech and copyright issues. He can go... well, I won't say what he can go do with the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists elsewhere, but it isn't something very nice.

If the Republicans put Ron Paul forward, he will get my vote.

Years

Meh, his proposals to end the Federal Reserve still puts me on the no column.

Plus his whole proposal on the Healthcare issue prevents me from even listening. :/

That aside, ideological differences reflect the electorate today.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    I won't be voting Obama a second term unless he picks a different running mate. Biden's pissed me off too much on tech and copyright issues. He can go... well, I won't say what he can go do with the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists elsewhere, but it isn't something very nice.

Ron Paul is my first choice.

There's a lot of hate for "Paultards," but when people familiarize themselves with the Constitution, they at least tend to respect the points he's making. The fact is, he's the only candidate that seems to care about limited government; for the other Republicans, it's just lipservice and for the Democrats, it's not even in the cards.

Quite frankly, the size of our federal government and the wastefulness of Congress is inexcusable, the result of unmitigated growth at the hands of both Republicans and Democrats for the past century. We hail those who expand government as heroes, so it's unlikely Paul would ever garner the nomination from the same GOP that gave the nomination to Bush just over a decade ago. His win at CPAC is encouraging, though.

I hope the GOP candidates can at least advocate genuine decentralization in some form. I'm not particularly fond of Romney, Huckabee, or any of those other big-government neoconservatives.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    It seems like we're always talking about elections...After the mid-terms it's right back to the presidential election talks :/

I'll be voting Republican regardless of who's on the ticket. I don't like the fact that religious ideology plays a big role in the opinions of most conservatives, but a second term for Obama would be a nightmare for America, in my opinion. Seriously, the McCain/Palin ticket was an absolutely awful attempt at winning the presidency. A charismatic young republican with moderate social policies should do much better in a general election.

Years
    It seems like we're always talking about elections...After the mid-terms it's right back to the presidential election talks :/

I'll be voting Republican regardless of who's on the ticket. I don't like the fact that religious ideology plays a big role in the opinions of most conservatives, but a second term for Obama would be a nightmare for America, in my opinion. Seriously, the McCain/Palin ticket was an absolutely awful attempt at winning the presidency. A charismatic young republican with moderate social policies should do much better in a general election.

I wouldn't say it's a "nightmare for America" I don't see firing squads on the street and people being forced to fly to Cuba and Venezuela for their daily "free" check ups. :P

Still, I'm voting straight Democratic party ticket yet again in the 2012 elections. I prefer the Democrat's coalition in terms of policy compared to the utterly apocalyptic budget Paul Ryan just unveiled.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Republican Primaries: Ron Paul gets my vote for Presidency.
    There will also be a Senate election here in California. Tom Campbell is getting my vote there. He has the best chance at unseating Feinstein, even if it'll be an uphill battle regardless of who the nominee is.

Since this a General Election thread: I will NOT by any means vote to re-elect President Obama. Maybe if the GOP puts up Sarah Palin and the Democrats put up some Blue Dog, the Democrats will get my vote. Since incumbent Presidents always get nominated for re-election, I'll be casting a protest vote for Bob Barr (likely Libertarian nominee) or writing-in Ron Paul's name.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Can I just say something? I am all for protecting the constitution, but I won't vote for a republican ever. Here is why:

Most Republicans (that run for office) say that the constitution should never change (as in, basic rights should always stay) and they always site the second amendment and how democrats want it gone. First, democrats don't want it gone, they just want it restricted so Jeremy over there who killed 20 people and just got out on bail can't get a gun. I would also like to point out, they always say the founding fathers wanted us to have a right to bear arms. Yes, they did, in times of rebellion. We're not in rebellion.

When a Republican realizes those things and runs for office, I might consider voting for them too.

I have many reasons why I wouldn't vote for most democrats too. But Republicans seem to have gained more popularity, so I won't go into detail.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I'm not a big fan of Obama, mainly because his policies have basically been Republican-lite and he's too friendly with the corporations. But I'll sure as hell vote for him over any of the possible Republican nominees. Their policies are nightmare-ish and they've swung so far to the right that I'd never consider voting for either of them. Huntsman is the only Republican that's been mentioned that I think I would be okay with winning, but he's not borderline psychopathic so there's no way he'd win the nomination.

As for Senate, Tim Kaine just announced his candidacy here in Virginia, and while I would rather see a more liberal candidate, he wasn't a bad governor and he can fairly reliably defeat George Allen (who was an absolute nightmare as governor and former senator). So if Kaine clinches the nomination, which shouldn't be hard at all, he'll get my vote.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Can I just say something? I am all for protecting the constitution, but I won't vote for a republican ever. Here is why:

Most Republicans (that run for office) say that the constitution should never change (as in, basic rights should always stay) and they always site the second amendment and how democrats want it gone. First, democrats don't want it gone, they just want it restricted so Jeremy over there who killed 20 people and just got out on bail can't get a gun. I would also like to point out, they always say the founding fathers wanted us to have a right to bear arms. Yes, they did, in times of rebellion. We're not in rebellion.

When a Republican realizes those things and runs for office, I might consider voting for them too.

I have many reasons why I wouldn't vote for most democrats too. But Republicans seem to have gained more popularity, so I won't go into detail.

How do stricter gun regulations prevent Jeremy from getting a gun? In no state I know of can a minor legally purchase a gun. If he gets the gun, he gets it illegally. In this case what the gun laws are are irrelevant because Jeremy disregards the law anyway. And the Supreme Court is the branch of government that says what the Second Amendment means. The Court has ruled that the rights to bear arms in unconnected with rebellion or service in a a militia (see District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago).

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    I love how you completely replaced the fact that he's a past felon who commited murder with "he's a minor"

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I love how you completely replaced the fact that he's a past felon who commited murder with "he's a minor"

And how do gun laws prevent people who disregard the law from getting a gun? The law only prevents people who obey the law from getting guns.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    And how do gun laws prevent people who disregard the law from getting a gun? The law only prevents people who obey the law from getting guns.

I think the "War on Drugs" proves this point, actually. This second wave of prohibition has created a black market for drugs, and they're not particularly hard to get ahold of.

If people are going to commit violent crime, they'll do it whether guns are readily available or not. Either they'll use some other weapon or they'll procure guns.

As a conservative libertarian, I support the second amendment. However, I also think it's fairly obvious that there should be some restrictions. Permits and licenses are fine--no war on guns will ever be foolproof, but I don't mind somewhat enforceable regulations. That said, I'd rather see states handle all of this stuff. The federal government shouldn't be involved in those kinds of things.

Years
    I think the "War on Drugs" proves this point, actually. This second wave of prohibition has created a black market for drugs, and they're not particularly hard to get ahold of.

If people are going to commit violent crime, they'll do it whether guns are readily available or not. Either they'll use some other weapon or they'll procure guns.

As a conservative libertarian, I support the second amendment. However, I also think it's fairly obvious that there should be some restrictions. Permits and licenses are fine--no war on guns will ever be foolproof, but I don't mind somewhat enforceable regulations. That said, I'd rather see states handle all of this stuff. The federal government shouldn't be involved in those kinds of things.
    I actually wrote a paper in Social studies that talked about people doing this if we fully took away the second amendment so it's best if we don't...it might end up as bad as when we removed the "right" to drink alcoholic drinks...I guess we could always put a tax on them like we do with Tobacco though^_^.
    Back on topic: I'm interested on who might be running on the GOP side...I heard, Palin, Huckabee, ect. might be running but are there non mainstream candidates that might be running?

Years

Back on topic: I'm interested on who might be running on the GOP side...I heard, Palin, Huckabee, ect. might be running but are there non mainstream candidates that might be running?

Yeah, these stupid web ads. :3

Sadly Gren Greenwald just made this piece: The impotence of the loyal partisan voter

Rachel Maddow last night issued a very harsh and eloquent denunciation of Obama's decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed before a military commission at Guantanamo rather than a real court. At the end of her monologue, Maddow focused on the contrast between how the Republicans treat their base and how Democrats treat theirs, specifically emphasizing that the White House announced this decision on the same day it kicked off Obama's re-election bid. About that point, Rachel said this:

A Democratic President kicks his base in the teeth on something as fundamental as civil liberties -- he puts the nail in the coffin of a civil liberties promise he made on his first full day in office -- and he does it on the first day of his re-election effort. And Beltway reaction to that is. . . huh, good move. That's the difference between Republican politics and Democratic politics. The Republicans may not love their base, but they fear them and play to them. The Democratic Party institutional structures of D.C., and the Beltway press in particular, not only hate the Democratic base -- they think it's good politics for Democratic politicians to kick that base publicly whenever possible.
    Only the base itself will ever change that.
    How will that happen? How can the base itself possibly change this dynamic, whereby politicians of the Democratic Party are not only willing, but eager, to "kick them whenever possible," on the ground (among others) that doing so is good politics? I'd submit that this is not only one of the most important domestic political questions (if not the most important), but also the one that people are most eager to avoid engaging. And the reason is that there are no comforting answers.
    One thing is for certain: right now, the Democratic Party is absolutely correct in its assessment that kicking its base is good politics. Why is that? Because they know that they have inculcated their base with sufficient levels of fear and hatred of the GOP, so that no matter how often the Party kicks its base, no matter how often Party leaders break their promises and betray their ostensible values, the base will loyally and dutifully support the Party and its leaders (at least in presidential elections; there is a good case that the Democrats got crushed in 2010 in large part because their base was so unenthusiastic).
    In light of that fact, ask yourself this: if you were a Democratic Party official, wouldn't you also ignore -- and, when desirable, step on -- the people who you know will support you no matter what you do to them? That's what a rational, calculating, self-interested, unprincipled Democratic politician should do: accommodate those factions which need accommodating (because their support is in question), while ignoring or scorning the ones whose support is not in question, either because they will never vote for them (the hard-core right) or will dutifully canvass, raise money, and vote for them no matter what (the Democratic base). Anyone who pledges unconditional, absolute fealty to a politician -- especially 18 months before an election -- is guaranteeing their own irrelevance.

While I truly agree with his assessment, I have to point out the points I made in the nonpartisan elections thread. :/

Years

Yeah, these stupid web ads. :3

Sadly Gren Greenwald just made this piece: The impotence of the loyal partisan voter

While I truly agree with his assessment, I have to point out the points I made in the nonpartisan elections thread. :/
    Seriously that guy is running...I thought it was a long April fools joke...
    This is the first Election I can vote in (though sadly I won't be voting in the Primary as I don't turn 18 until July of 2012) so it's going to be interesting to see which candidate has the most policies I agree with and think can handle the job.

Back