• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (VERY) First Time You Ever Heard About Pokemon?

Napalm

Careful! That Stuff Burns!
    Years
    So you may of been playing the games and watching the anime for years. But, ever thought to yourself about when you first heard about this show called Pokemon? It can very difficult to remember, because I know plently of people that knew Pokemon since it was first mentioned. For me, I first heard about on TV, an ad for Pokemon was on, I saw it and thought "Woah COOL!" (I was 5 at the time), and I found out that my older step-brother had Pokemon Red (I didn't know what it was back then), when I played it, I WAS HOOKED. Ever since, I've loved Pokemon, it's a passion :)

What about you? When did you first hear about it?

LightSlei

ExtremelyHyperNerdTestGam erGuy
    Years
    When they did the advertisements for the game, as a kid I became hooked, and they have a lot of memories for me. Unfortunately at the current time I can't play Red, Blue or Yellow, they hurt my eyes with their colorlessness.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ever since i got blue on my 7th birthday
    yeah, best thing ever :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    My mom bought me the official Nintendo player's guide for Red and Blue, and I was transfixed by all the strange and diverse monsters on the cover. It took me a long time before I even opened the thing because the cover and back were almost enough.

Ayselipera

I remember first knowing about it from the tv show, which I watched faithfully.
    I really can't remember how I stumbled upon the show I just did and liked it ever since.

Cнαяcнιc

Banned
    Years
    I just watched the show for the first time and then that was it.

Pokémon - Was now my favourite Game + TV Show. Then my dad bought me Yellow xD

Charchic.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
    My old friend introduced me to about every anime in the good ol' days. She flipped on the channel one morning, and an hour later, we bought about fifty cards worth of pokemon cards at the card machine at safeway.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    My best friend told me about the animé, so he's to blame. I loved the animé, and when I heard a new Pokémon game was coming out called 'Crystal version', (where you could play as a girl!) I leapt at the chance!
    So, long story short, whatever date Pokémon was first aired in the UK.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    It would be YEARS ago when I was a little kid. I was surfing the channels on T.V and saw pokemon, so I decided to watch it. I never really got into it though.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    There was a magazine ad for the American release of Pokemon Red and Blue for the Game Boy in the latest issue of "Nintendo Power" back when I was like 11...

If you're old enough to remember, it was the one where there was a picture of a selection of pokemon (I can distinctly remember Bulbasaur, Charizard, Hitmonlee, Geodude, Poliwhirl, and Pikachu being among them...) standing around with a bug catching net hovering over them, with a caption at the bottom that read, "Gotta Catch 'Em All!"

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Oh this is fun. The first time I heard about it, it was probably a commercial for the games, however, I didn't like to follow the crowd, so I stuck up my nose and denied the new trend. I went to my friends house later and all he and his sister were talking about was Pokemon. I felt like a nub because I didn't know anything about it and didn't have any cards like theirs. I left his room and sat on the stairs mumbling, then suddenly let out my most famous words:

"Alright! I'll like Pokemon!!"

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I found about Pokémon when my best friend Wesley brought in the cards to infant school. When I saw them I thought they were so cool, he then got Yellow and showed it to everyone, it got so popular I remember they had to ban people from bringing in Pokémon games into they playground, sadly I had to wait till I got a GBC and I got Silver. I think I started watching the show soon after he brought in the cards when it started on SMTV. Unfortunately I'm now one of about only 2-3 people in my town who still actually like it, as only about 1 of my friends still like it.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    I was about 6 at the time and my dad just randomly brought me the game. After that I started watching the show and buying the cards.

i don't remember exactly how but somehow I ended up borrowing Red from my cousin's friend. I didn't even know him. I just remember my cousin handed it to me and said I couldn't save. I played for about 3 days, starting over every single day. I never got much farther than just a bit after battling Misty until I had to stop. Finally I got Yellow for my birthday the next year.

Back