• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Way Of The Photographer [Advice and Terms Explained]

Silver

Kyle
Years
  • In general, especially when it comes to using DSLR cameras, it's usually unwanted. It's the same as when the volume on an audio system is up all the way and you can hear the white noise. Most musicians wouldn't want that in most of their songs, but I can understand if they were trying to aim to a specific genre, sound, or theme of their songs.

I agree, 99% of the time when I'm shooting I do not like noise in my pictures, especially when I'm planning on using that shot in color. I'm just saying noise isn't the devil and can be interesting if utilized correctly.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Yo guys, I'm here just for a quick recommendation, I've been slowly getting a bit better with photography and I want to upgrade from my digital camera (Sony Cyber-Shot or something) and was wondering which should I get. I would say $500 is my limit but I've been getting recommendations that I should get a Nikon D3100, which I heard is pretty good. So, any recommendations? Anywhere within $200-$500 would be good.

Also, I have a question, it may sound stupid, scratch that it will to experienced photographers, but do zoom lens make all the difference? One of my cousins has a Nikon D40x and Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR zoom lens and he didn't really quite answer my question.

Thanks again if you answer :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Zoom lenses are good, but it depends on what you're photographing. If you plan on taking decent quality photos of something specific which is quite a distance away, then a zoom lens will come in handy. For example, if you're a nature photographer and wish to catch a deer before it runs, from a distance, then a zoom lens would come in handy. But there's a lens for every situation.

The D3100 is a good camera. I'd recommend it to anyone starting with a DSLR. Great price, and it has an internal guide too. Not to mention it'll take great photos. I'd advise you to go with that.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Thanks for answer! But, after having brought it up with my parents, they consulted with my cousin who then in turn told them that the Canon PowerShot SX40 would be better. He said that it's about 3x faster than the D3100, it's a flip screen as well as it's 'friendlier' for someone like me who haven't used a 'professional' type camera. From what I know, it's not a DSLR though.

Have you ever used this specific camera before? If so, what's your opinion? Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Right well here's the low down between the two:

Advantages of the Canon SX40
    • Image stabilization (Helps eliminate blur due to small camera movements)
    • Has a flip-out screen (For taking tricky shots and movies, can be slightly helpful)
    • Records high-speed movies (240fps)
    • Shoots faster (10.3 fps compared to 3 fps)
    • Slightly cheaper
    Advantages of D3100
    • Faster Auto Focus (catch candid moments more easily)
    • Larger screen (3.0 compared to 2.7, so about 10%)
    • Larger sensor (APS-C 23.1x15.4mm compared to 1/2.3" 6.2x4.6mm, so about 12.5%)
    • Smaller (124x96x73 mm compared to 123x92x108 mm, about 30% smaller)
    • Significantly higher true resolution (14.2 MP compared to 9.7 MP, which means about 50% more detail in photos)
    • Has interchangeable lenses (meaning you're not limited to the stock lens)
    • Shoots RAW (Digitally develop your own photos with precise image control)
    • Significantly thinner (2.9" compared to 4.3")
    • Longer battery life (550 shots compared to 380 shots, so about 40% longer battery life per full charge)
    • Lighter (505g compared to 600g, about 20%)
    • Has an optical viewfinder (Optical viewfinders save battery life and are more detailed, this one has pentamirror, Canon has digital)
    • Longer exposures (30s compared to 15s, so twice as much)
    • Faster max shutter speed (1/4000s compared to 1/3200s, which is 20% more)
    So in all honesty, you're getting a lot longer life possibility with the Nikon. The big thing about the Canon is that you're using a camera you can't even get more lenses for. So you're spending over 300 quid on a good camera which you'll need to upgrade if you ever want to swap the lens. Whereas with the Nikon, you're spending a bit more but you're getting a more professional camera which is very suitable to beginners. I think that if you're going to go with a good camera, and want to get into photography, you're better off with one you won't need to change in the near future. Not to mention flip out screens are weak, and can break off. Sure the Canon is faster in shooting, but there's more to cameras than their speed. I use a Nikon D3100 and its shooting speed is fine. The Nikon also has an in-built guide mode to teach you how to use all the different aspects to the camera, as well as the different types of shots you may want to take and what settings to use for them. Normally DSLR's are a lot heavier, more expensive and bigger, but in this case the Nikon is only about 12% more expensive. And a DSLR is always going to be better than a digital camera. You'll get higher quality photos, along with a camera that has more life in your photography track.

Even a beginner can use the D3100 with zero knowledge of how to use a DSLR. That's what the camera was built for. So, I recommend it. In saying that, a lot of online reviews are going with the Canon. So it will probably go down to personal preference in the end.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • Sorry to sort of interrupt your conversation here, but I just noticed this thread and I wanted to ask about something: wasn't there a little photography school here before? I'm curious because I've started getting into photography (and my camera is funnily enough a Nikon D3100) and I could do with some more tutoring. However, I don't think the school is here anymore? I don't see it in the G&P section just now.

If there was never a photography school here in the first place then please disregard this post lol.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • There was a photography school, but it died due to lack of activity.
    If you want, you can post a gallery with your photographs, and we can give you constructive criticism about individual photos or general concept and stuff. That's probably the best approach for the time being.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Yeah, a photography school.

So yeah, I was derping around with my mom's iPhone (Sorrrrry camera pros) and I kinda liked how the pictures came out. However, I want a second opinion and stuff, so I thought I might post a couple of the "better" ones here on PC. But since it's just like, two pictures, I personally don't think it would require a whole thread. Maybe when I start taking pictures with a real camera, but I hardly think some iPhone pictures could ever be top-quality material for a thread.

Any help would be appreciated?

Back