• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Theory on origins of Legendary Pokemon, as well as what Giratina truly represents.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Okay, first, I think I've figured out what Giratina really is suppose to represent. As you all know, the other two Legendary that make up the Sinnoh-Dragons, aside from Giratina, are Dilaga and Palkia. Dialga represents Time. Palkia represents Space. Well, the other day in my science class we were reading about gravity, black holes and stuff like that. That's when it hit me! Reading a description on black holes, along with several other paragraphs on similar subjects, three things kept poping up: Space, Time, and Matter! It's very possible, based on the Pokemon Movie (12 I think), that Giratina is the representation of Matter! The Torn World is a mirror of the real world and Giratina guards it. If something is disturbed in the Torn World, it is disturbed in the Real World, so it must represent matter.

On to my second point, I believe that the Legendary Pokemon of the regions (Johto and Hoenn) are based on real-world mythology. Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza are representations of the three Jewish beasts: Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz, or Water, Land, and Air. Similarly, Kyogre and Groudon are mortal enemies much like Leviathan and Behemoth. Also, Ziz ceases the fight between Leviathan and Behemoth as Rayquaza does to Kyogre and Groudon. As for Johto, its very simply based on the Japanese myth of the Sun Goddess and the Storm God: Amaterasu and Susanowo. Amaterasu and Ho-Oh both represent the Sun and color and rebirth. Susanawo and Lugia represent storms, and rule over the seas.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Must?
    I don't know much on dimensions, but I am fairly sure that whatever happens in the fourth dimension doesn't happen in our third, or vice versa. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

As for the legendary thing...yeah, you basically hit the nail on the head. I don't know about Jewish mythology, but many legendary/mythic animals are actually pokemon. I can't name any off of the top of my head without a shadow of a doubt, but I think that the three beasts are based off of a Japanese myth.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Must may be too strong a word...Anyways, If you watch Pokemon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior, there are several scenes where what Ash and co. do in the Torn World have an effect on their world (An example is when they accidently pop a bubble showing Brock in the real world, which causes him to be knocked to the ground).

suicune, Raikou and Entei? I wouldn't doubt it, possibly some legend linked to Amaterasu...I think i'm gonna look into this a bit more...

Mr.Silver

Say Hello To Nurse Barbra
    Years
    That's when it hit me! Reading a description on black holes, along with several other paragraphs on similar subjects, three things kept poping up: Space, Time, and Matter!
    Wouldn't you mean Anti-matter.Because the REVERSE side of matter would be anti-matter and wouldn't palkia also represent matter because space is made up of matter so giratina must be anti-matter

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
    It could be possible that Giratina represents Death seeing as when you exit the Distortion world in Platinum she says something along the lines of "this is the place the dead go to cross over". Also another point adding to this theory is Giratina is part ghost type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    i thought Giratina was the Only pokemon who could DEFY Time and Space. idk. I also thought Ho-Oh was based off of some Chinese Mythical Creature. i dunno, he does look pretty Chinese to me

lv.100 Lugia

pσkєnєrds
    Years
    Well I have Platinum and i thought that giratina stood for the other world and without the "shadow" world the other one wouldn't exist. I guess he does stand for black holes etc. but he is a shadow pokemon

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    i thought Giratina was the Only pokemon who could DEFY the laws of Time and Space. idk. I also thought Ho-Oh was based off of some Chinese Mythical Creature. i dunno, he does look pretty Chinese to me
    woops, i just noticed i forgot to add a detail lol. ill put it in bold

Last edited:

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it represents Anti-Matter, like stated further above. Giratina does not represent death because it is the only Pokemon in the Distortion/Torn World. Being part Ghost could simply be GameFreak's idea to making Giratina a type that defies Matter (Ghosts can pass through solid objects).

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    What about the legendary birds? Regi trio of course is just three kings. Regi = king in latin iirc. And celebi? Onion thing that controls time?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    As for Johto, its very simply based on the Japanese myth of the Sun Goddess and the Storm God: Amaterasu and Susanowo. Amaterasu and Ho-Oh both represent the Sun and color and rebirth. Susanawo and Lugia represent storms, and rule over the seas.
    nope, i just got done checking, Ho-Oh heres what bulbapedia says

Ho-Oh, like Moltres, is based on the legend of the Phoenix; unlike Moltres, it is based on the Fènghuáng (the immortal phoenix of China). Many cultures view the Phoenix as a symbol of resurrection; this is seen in Ho-Oh, which was reborn rising from its own ashes and had a hand in resurrecting Suicune, Raikou and Entei.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Then what of the explaination for Lugia? Bulbapedia is assuming just as anyone else is. Besides, Lugia and Ho-Oh are polar opposites that once resided in the same place at two opposite towers; Brass and Tin. Reading a passage involving the legend of the Japanese, I found an interesting bit concerning what may have been a reference used in the three legendary dogs creation:

Susanawo offered to Amaterasu his sword, which she cleansed and broke into three pieces. These three pieces became the three new deities.

That's all I can remember though.

Years
    I am pretty sure that Mewtwo is based on the concept of Frankenstien. An unnatural monster that turns on its creators.

EDIT: I found this quote from PokeBeach.
    PokeBeach said:
    Frankenstein The whole premise of Mewtwo Strikes Back. Scientist creates monster, monster kills scientist. Except it is with Pokemanz and cloning rather than corpses and electricity. The monster also wishes to fit-in, but can't, like Mewtwo. (Note: The monster isn't actually named Frankenstein, the scientist is. It's just called "the monster.")

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2010
    What is the significance of Mew?

Also, if Arceus is the "God of pokemon", how much further could they take the series?
    I mean, the legendaries have reached their limit!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    Then what of the explaination for Lugia? Bulbapedia is assuming just as anyone else is. Besides, Lugia and Ho-Oh are polar opposites that once resided in the same place at two opposite towers; Brass and Tin. Reading a passage involving the legend of the Japanese, I found an interesting bit concerning what may have been a reference used in the three legendary dogs creation:

Susanawo offered to Amaterasu his sword, which she cleansed and broke into three pieces. These three pieces became the three new deities.

That's all I can remember though.
    for lugia it said
    Lugia is based on Ryūjin, a dragon who was the Shinto god of the sea, and lived on the ocean's floor.

that last bit you posted sounds pretty cool

Back