• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

There should really be a Music section under the Create & Discover subforum.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I suppose if we could get enough interest generated in a pre-existing forum (such as a thread RH or GE), it would be a fun idea! I'd really love to see such a place! It'd be interesting to see such things by the member base being posted. But...I'll leave the How, and Where up to the H-Staff to decide. Would like to see it take off; especially if it ends up being more than just music for ROM hackers or whatever. (And honestly I don't see us removing control of anything RH/GD related from Christos'/Spherical Ice's capable hands, they can easily manage their own sections needs as they see fit...and if they agree that such a forum is the place for music people to go, so be it. :3)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    What sets PC apart from other Pokémon forums is creativity, so if we could have a music creating crowd here that would be nothing but a gain for the community, I think ^^ Considering what the original poster said, it sounds like there's a big deficit of music making communities in the Pokémon forum world. That's what makes me think this could actually have a great chance--but then again that's just speculation. Right now if you're a music maker there's just not too many places in the Pokémon foruming community to go...which we could potentially change if the right moves were made to get one started here.

Maybe for now we should try to cultivate what we already have? The music making thread isn't that active right now...maybe getting it more active is something that should happen first, and then a forum should be created if that ends up being a successful endeavor. A lot of people mentioned the UG as an example of a new forum/community being created here, but we had strong activity first (activity, not just interest), and then the forum was created.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    hey.

as the GE mod, I agree with what people have said with regards to music-related things being a huge chunk of the posts there, and I also agree with the fact that taking that all away would kind of gut the forum a bit. but it's definitely not 90% music, 10% everything else, at the very very least.

as far as the actual topic at hand here which is creating a forum strictly for music, I don't think it's a good idea, and I'm gonna tell you why: there are two people vocally posting in this thread about creating a whole separate subforum for discussing, like, chord progressions and synth sounds and stuff, which is all stuff I'd like to talk about, but I don't think this forum is the right place to do it. there are infinite resources elsewhere on what chords to use in what progression and other music-theory-minded questions. this isn't really the place. General Entertainment is more to discuss things that already exist or perhaps even the creative process than it is to ask about things related to your own art, or at least that's how I see it myself. y'know what I mean? I just don't think there's enough support for something like this to happen.

HOWEVER, if a lot of the community wants the board to be more of a hub for, like, actual creation of music and things, I don't see why I wouldn't try to evangelize the whole art sharing thing. I encourage it, even -- I just don't see a lot of it. if people wanna start doing it more, go for it, but even when people do there doesn't seem to be much reaction to it from the other members, which is something I'm guilty of myself. I should probably be better about giving feedback to people that post. in fact, it's not a case of Probably, it's a case of Definitely. but I don't see the need to create a whole new subsection for something that a lot of people seem to want In Theory, but only a few people actually seem that interested in actively contributing to it.

does that make sense? this has been an awful week. my brain is fried. No Excuses, Of Course. but that's partially my excuse. heh.

Years
    I joined this forum to contribute my music and see what others had contributed music-wise. I have been on other forums and they all had section devoted for music, writing and music. Some actually combined all three under a single subforum. I'm suprised that this forum not only has both a writing section and an art section, but a rom hacking section as well. Why this forum can't have one is beyond me. As I initially stated, music is large part of the Pokémon franchise, game and anime alike. I don't know anyone who's played or watched Pokemon and considers themselves a fan who doesn't know the main Pokémon theme and the original Pokémon theme song. Chances are you'd recognize a well-known Pokémon town theme, like Slateport or Jubilife, or a route theme like route 2 from the original Red and Blue or Route 216 from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. Even spinoffs, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, which was well known for itls emotional story and amazing soundtrack, do a great job in the music department. Music is a crucial part of Pokémon, and I simply wanted a place where the community could discuss and share one of the most amazing parts of Pokémon, like they already with art, fiction and even ROM hacking.

Not to say that we should be conformist or anything, but I'm going to explain how and why other forums aotes have a music section.

Cave Story Tribute site Forums: The creator of cave story developed his own music making program just for CS and went on to create another more versatile, yet more complicated music making program. Add in the fact that the entire soundtrack is gold and praised, and the reasons become overly apparent.

MSPA Forums: Homestuck is known for its excellent soundtrack and the multitude of fanmusicians that have contributed works to the Homestuck soundtrack. The MSPA forums not only fosters these artists, but raises new ones as well. On the fourms, they lump together all Fanworks, including art, writing and music. This works because of how Homestuck is heavily dependent on all three for its storytelling.

Pokémon music is obviously well praised and analyzed, despite the fact that Pokémon is not an indie hit like Homestuck or Cave Story, it's music is still worthy to be remj
    It can be brought up 100 times, though...the fact of the matter is that the pros have to outweigh the cons, not JUST for the people enjoying music but it has to make sense for the forum mod and its regulars.

So far the only con I'm seeing is that there wouldn't be as much traction in the General Entertainment section. And like J. Mustang said, there's only about 26% of GE that is music, and even if there was more attention to music in GE (like this fallacious 90% you keep throwing around) there would be no point in GE if most of it was music. The pros, in my opinion, far outweigh the cons. Maybe if you can provide me with additional cons then you might have me convinced. J. Mustang has stated them well, I implore you to look at his list.

Ok....your point? Music is an art, I agree, but you create music to inspire, to entertain, to instill so many emotions in someone. At the core of it all, though, music IS a form of media, and media content, for consistency purposes, belongs in GE.

You realize that visual art does all three of those things, right? With that in mind, shouldn't Art be in the GE section since it is technically media. Media is just anything that conveys an idea. Under the same logic, writing should be in the GE section. But it isn't. Why? Because the fiction is users contributing to the subforum and it has to do with Pokémon. The Music section could do both.

And where's your evidence that an (apparently...i havent checked personally) inactive/insufficient showcasing thread would blossom into a bustling forum? You say theres lost potential, and I'll agree with you when there are like 50 people posting their music everywhere in GE.

I personally believe there isn't a lot of music makers behind this because there is no venue for music makers to place their works or converse with a community of other music makers, not because they aren't here. It's also possible that pokemusic makers are turned off from joining the forums because there is no music section.

You are missing the point. You and those who support say it isnt about helping GE, but whether you like it or not, GE is the place to go for music. I dont know if you realize, but you're ignoring the general welfare of GE, saying "let the mods deal w/it" should worst come to worst and GE does suffer inactivity because of it.

To be frank, none of what's going on in the GE section is relevant to Pokémon, the main theme of this website. Most of the music discussion is unrelated to Pokémon, and seems to simply be about opinions on music or your favorite genre. The closest it gets to what I would like to is the sharing of compositions and whether on not you're a musician. And Ive responded and subscribed to both the Genre thread and the Musican thread and the former is much more popular than the latter. And as I said earlier, that's because of a lack of an appropriate venue for proper music-making and sharing as it pertains to Pokémon.

Music is relevant to Pokemon and it, like Art, Writing, Gameplay and Programming, are the most crucial parts toa good game. While Pokemon may not have groundbreaking Gameplay, its has a fairly good art direction and good programming for what it's trying to do. Both elements of Pokémon are represented here on the forums. Music (which as I've said before, Pokemon is very good in.) is sadly underrepresented here in the forums. There doesnt need to be a subforum just for music, but there should be one under the C&D section.

Also, forget what I was saying about being a mod of this if this does come into fruition. I just want to see this be a success if at all possible.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    The thing is, it's obvious that A&D is for artistic galleries and content (personally, I wish A&D can deal with a bit more clarity on the photography side, but that is neither here nor there).

Without going too far off-topic, I'm not sure what you mean by this. A&D has never shied away from letting photography be present, and any time it was present it was met with lots of encouragement and support. Photography has always, and will always, be a part of A&D, and not once has it been suggested that it isn't. Regardless, this isn't to be discussed further here.

After giving this some significant thought, the problem I see is that garnering support and interest in GE still prohibits some topics from being discussed by way of not falling into the category of entertainment. And as such people will be deterred from making such threads, even if some appear, people will still be worried about going off-topic. That's just the problem I see developing at the moment, but maybe if people start really getting into more in-depth music discussion in GE it wont be a problem. Who knows? :)

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    flight is fighting the good fight here. my reply wasn't pessimistic, it was realistic in that you two are the only people rallying this hard for this. there isn't nearly enough support nor people interested to warrant a whole new sub-forum. I can take steps to play up the creative aspect of GE, but that's all I'm willing to do unless some more vocal supporters come out of the woodwork.

Back