• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] There's a way to change the Ev System?

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2018
    Hello! I'm currently making a hack rom of Pokemon Emerald and I want to know if there's a way to change the ev system, It's kind of hard to explain but I want to change it from max 252 two stats to 128 each stat

For example a level 100 Pikachu stats are these:
    Code:
    No ev training--------->[COLOR=Blue]Regular ev system[/COLOR]---------->[COLOR=Red]With my ev system[/COLOR]
    HP-------->211--------->[COLOR=Blue]274(252)[/COLOR]------------------->[COLOR=Red]243(128)[/COLOR]
    Attack---->146--------->[COLOR=Blue]209(252)[/COLOR]------------------->[COLOR=Red]178(128)[/COLOR]
    Def------->116--------->[COLOR=Blue]117(4)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]148(128)[/COLOR]
    Sp. Atk--->136--------->[COLOR=Blue]136(0)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]168(128)[/COLOR]
    Sp. Def--->136--------->[COLOR=Blue]136(0)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]168(128)[/COLOR]
    Speed----->216--------->[COLOR=Blue]216(0)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]248(128)[/COLOR]
    0 evs used------------->[COLOR=Blue]Max 510 evs total[/COLOR]---------->[COLOR=Red]Max 768 evs total[/COLOR]
    That way PVP battles will be much longer, ev training will be a lot easier and a lot of new strategies should be created cause smogon will be useless.

Can this be done? Which tools should I use? Hope you can help me

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Hello! I'm currently making a hack rom of Pokemon Emerald and I want to know if there's a way to change the ev system, It's kind of hard to explain but I want to change it from max 252 two stats to 128 each stat

For example a level 100 Pikachu stats are these:
    Code:
    No ev training--------->[COLOR=Blue]Regular ev system[/COLOR]---------->[COLOR=Red]With my ev system[/COLOR]
    HP-------->211--------->[COLOR=Blue]274(252)[/COLOR]------------------->[COLOR=Red]243(128)[/COLOR]
    Attack---->146--------->[COLOR=Blue]209(252)[/COLOR]------------------->[COLOR=Red]178(128)[/COLOR]
    Def------->116--------->[COLOR=Blue]117(4)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]148(128)[/COLOR]
    Sp. Atk--->136--------->[COLOR=Blue]136(0)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]168(128)[/COLOR]
    Sp. Def--->136--------->[COLOR=Blue]136(0)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]168(128)[/COLOR]
    Speed----->216--------->[COLOR=Blue]216(0)[/COLOR]--------------------->[COLOR=Red]248(128)[/COLOR]
    0 evs used------------->[COLOR=Blue]Max 510 evs total[/COLOR]---------->[COLOR=Red]Max 768 evs total[/COLOR]
    That way PVP battles will be much longer, ev training will be a lot easier and a lot of new strategies should be created cause smogon will be useless.

Can this be done? Which tools should I use? Hope you can help me

Tools:
    • Debugging Emulator
    • IDA
    • Text Editor
    • DevKitARM
    • Hex editor
    Have fun ASMing it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    More of a comment than anything...this would make EV training easier, but as far as "new strategies?" You lose so much more strategic depth than you gain. There is no tradeoff, no actual choice in how you want to distribute your stats other than natures. RBY/GSC allowed the equivalent stat wise of 248 EVs in every stat, and although it makes training easier, it also takes away the actual decision on how to utilize a limited resource. Make no mistake, in terms of competitive battling, the limited EV system is far better. In Gen 1 and 2, if your opponent sent out a pokemon, you knew exactly what stats it had. Sure natures would still exist, but half the time you know what nature your opponent's pokemon would have regardless. You mention PVP, but imo, the system you propose makes PVP worse. That said, your choice to do what you want. I just wanted to point that out.

Last edited:
    Back