• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"They're running out of ideas"

pkmin3033

I totally didn't see that this is what pisses a lot of people off and decide to make a topic out of it

This is a pretty common complaint amongst fans these days: when it comes to Pokemon design, Game Freak are running out of ideas. That we're seeing too many Pokemon that look similar to existing ones, or too many Pokemon based off inanimate objects. This was also a common response to Mega Evolution and Alola Forms, which were alternate takes on existing Pokemon as opposed to all-new ones which, taken alongside the reduced number of new Pokemon in Gens VI and VII, meant that there wasn't quite as much "all new" content. At least for some.

So, do you think that Game Freak is "running out of ideas" when it comes to the creation of new Pokemon? Why or why not? Have you ever thought this in response to a particular generation, but later had your faith restored by one that followed it? How about other aspects of the games outside of Pokemon design - do you still think the ideas are fresh and exciting, or have they grown repetetive and stale to you?

pkmin3033

It kind of grinds my gears when people say this because no one has any solid foundational reasoning for "They're running out of ideas". It's basically code for "Game Freak is doing something I personally don't like" (which is how I interpret it, anyway). While Game Freak's designswhen it comes to individual Pokemon will always be subject to debate, if they've come this far, then it's pretty clear they're really not running out of ideas.
    Is that necessarily true, though? I mean, depending on how you look at it, there is a lot of evidence for it when you compare the number of Pokemon per generation...add Gens VI and VII together and you have 153 new Pokemon, which is three less than Gen V by itself.

Given the smaller number of all-new Pokemon, on a purely by-the-numbers basis I think there is more than enough for the thought that Game Freak might be running out of ideas: they're pitching fewer ideas with each generation. Whether or not you can count alternate forms etc. is a matter of debate, but I think one thing we could probably agree on is that alternate forms are NOT new ideas, strictly speaking: they're redesigns. Redesigns are not new designs. Sure, Gen VII had more than Gen VI, but it's still 20 or so less than any other generation prior.

I realise most people say they're running out of ideas in terms of quality - which is entirely subjective, so I'm not going there for the moment - but in terms of quantity, I don't think it's as baseless as people would like to think. Just a thought. I know there are a few holes in it. Which is why I'm saying there is evidence for it going purely by the numbers. Other factors may be regarded as more important, but I suppose my point is that it isn't entirely a baseless claim.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I agree with colours - if we're speaking Pokémon design only, and excluding features and gameplay, I think they're trying to please everyone, just like any Gen before it. Let's take Geodude for exemple. It's a rock, with arms.
    Voltorb is a Pokéball.
    Exeggcute is a bunch of eggs.
    Diglett & Dugtrio are a brown geometric shape with eyes and a round pink nose. I could go on with Gen 1 but let's look at Gen 2.
    Sunkern is a seed.
    Unown are letters.
    Pineco is a pinecone.
    In Gen 3 we have not one, but 2 useless cocoons. Volbeat & Illumise are 2 different Pokémon. Isn't this a waste of numbers? It wasn't better before, we just forget about it for various reasons. I for one, am a fan of the Litwick line, they do Pokémon to please everyone, obviously you can't like every single Pokémon.

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    TBH we're near 900 Pokemon now and I will say that some Pokemon will always be similar to others. It's bound to happen at this point. However, I do not believe this is because Gamefreak ran out of ideas supposedly. I feel it's more of it trying to create a balance in which everyone is pleased with...mixed results to say the least.

From what I'm seeing now, it seems that Gamefreak is trying to even out the number of Pokemon for each new generation and while that leads to single interesting Pokemon, there's always going to be people who want more because in their mind more=quality.

I should also mention that most of the time when I hear the line of "Gamefreak running out of ideas" it's used not as a note of concern for how many Pokemon they are introducing, but because some people don't like the fact we aren't getting Unova numbers of Pokemon each gen.

And yes, I love the amount of Pokemon we got in gen 5, but at the same time that comes at the expense of giving more Pokemon identity. I'm not trying say Unova's Pokemon overall didn't have good lore, but a lot of Pokemon were kind of shafted in regards to quality. For example, remember Basculins 2 forms? Stunfisk? Garbador? Alolamola? I heard people complain about these Pokemon being terrible, but I think it's a side-effect of having so many Pokemon. Pokemon like the ones mentioned above really suffered in this gen because of the fact we were oversaturated with so much Pokemon and Gamefreak probably needed some spots to fill.

Now onto Kalos which has introduced the least amount of Pokemon yet. This is where think finding a balance becomes even more difficult. While Unova gave us so many Pokemon, I think what left some fans pretty upset was the fact they were expecting more and got even less. The designs are subjective in their own right, but even then, the lore for each Pokemon is pretty good. It's not that they have nothing to use, it's trying to figure out how and what to do with that info to make a Pokemon interesting while still giving people and adequate amount of Pokemon to use. So from that in my mind, Gamefreak decided to cut on the amount of Pokemon to make them each more interesting, but at the same time it alienates part of an audience that wants more. It's really a neverending cycle.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's bound to happen when you reach a certain point, that's why I think it was a good decision to reduce the amount of new Pokémon introduced in more recent gens. I'd say overall that they have done a fantastic job with designing 802 unique Pokémon. Sure there are some that can be considered to be copies to an extent, but considering there are so many now, I'd say we have a great variety of designs and species.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Yes, they are "running out of ideas" but not in the way one might conventionally think. While it is true that you, the reader, as a person and consumer may find a given species of Pokemon to be entirely stupid, plenty are actually ok by your standards if you simply ignore the species you find utterly stupid or pointless.

Depending on how choosy you are your number of satisfactory new Pokemon for each gen may vary.

At the number of Pokemon we currently have, well over 1000 because I do count alternative forms and Megas and not just ones who merited a separate dex number, there's plenty to choose from. Arguably we could even make a case for including cosmetic forms such as Cosplay Pikachu's variants as well as the full on dex of shinies if you really wanna be technical.

So take your choice. There really is something for everyone. Even if you only give half credits for megas, alt forms and shiny, you should do the math and see that it still adds up. We may not get whole new pokemon like in the volumes we did back in gens 1-4 but, I suspect if you do the math for Gens 5-7, you will find that the amount produced is probably comparable. Now you're free to debate the creation of these forms and megas as being worthwhile or not until you're blue, but you have to admit, if you do the math you'll probably find that I'm right and we are actually getting the same amount of effort each generation. It just may not be in ways you expected

NoMoreStars

Trying
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It kind of grinds my gears when people say this because no one has any solid foundational reasoning for "They're running out of ideas". It's basically code for "Game Freak is doing something I personally don't like" (which is how I interpret it, anyway). While Game Freak's designswhen it comes to individual Pokemon will always be subject to debate, if they've come this far, then it's pretty clear they're really not running out of ideas.

Oh this, I love this. This is beautiful. When people say "they're running out of ideas" they have absolutely no clue how much goes into Pokemon design. It's not just simply "hey lets make a fire cat", so much more active design choices go into making Pokemon and there is just such a wealth of real world inspiration to go off of. And it's true, some designs can be either hit or miss, but there's still something for everyone in there and it would be ignorant to simply assume that "they're running out of ideas." A better and more thoughtful thing to say (though I don't agree with this 100% myself) would be "Game Freak are getting burnt out on Pokemon as a series." which is a much greater possibility for a series that has been running for 20+ years now. Although with that being said I'm still impressed that they are still able to come up with such intricate designs after all this time. Guess it helps having a whole team of people come up with designs and not just Ken Sugimori (who a lot of people assume designs almost all of the Pokemon).

They may be making a smaller and smaller number of new Pokemon, but that has nothing to do with lack of creativity, it has more to due with cramming so many cartoon monsters into a game where it doesn't get too hectic. Although I'm not crazy about Mega Evolution (although a lot of those designs tend to be pretty smart as well), I think that Regional Variants are an amazing step in the right direction and works to solve the problem of being able to fit enough unique Pokemon into a game without cramming it full of different monster designs skyrocketing the Pokedex numbers in the process.

Years
  • The Pokemon franchise has been going for over 20 years now so it's only natural that they're 'running out of ideas'. Tbh, I don't think they are that badly, the games are still really enjoyable and Sun and Moon were the best Pokemon games in years imo, they changed up the formula and introduced some really unique Pokemon. In every generation, there's been really basically designed Pokemon, so that can't be used to explain how TPC and GF are running out of ideas, ultimately, when you stop and think about it, they could be doing a lot worse having been consistently releasing games with relatively the same concept for all these years.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    To be honest I don't mind their ideas or if a Pokemon looks similiar to existing ones, but Pokemon is just getting weird to me. When I look at Pokedexes from previous generations, I like at least half the pokemon there. But recently I looked through the gen VII dex and I couldn't find many designs that I like, if any. I did notice creativity behind each of the Pokemon, but it's just not for me. Also the stuff they add... ultra beasts... 100% Zygarde, it literally looks like it's not even from pokemon. I liked pokemon up until gen VI, wanted to get S/M too, but I don't think I'm intrested too much anymore. And also I am worried about that new pokemon rpg game for the Switch. If that's the new console they'll be making games for, I'll prolly have a long break from Pokemon, bc I am not getting a new expensive console just for that.

pkmin3033

Also the stuff they add... ultra beasts... 100% Zygarde, it literally looks like it's not even from pokemon.
    Do you mean that in the sense that it's so radically different from anything that has come previously, or that it looks like its been taken straight out of something else? This is something I find a little puzzling, in what people think that Pokemon are "supposed" to look like.

That said, I think one of the reasons people feel that GF might be running out of ideas is because those ideas are gradually becoming more complex and detailed. There is a pretty crazy level of detail in a lot of the later designs, and some of the Mega Evolutions take that up to eleven, with planes and angles and spikes on spikes etc. They're reaching further and further afield for new ideas...or so it seems, as they're having to put more and more detail into those to differentiate them from previous Pokemon.

A lot of the earlier Gen Pokemon are much simpler in design, which you could argue is a bad thing...but then, people remember them, and might frequently forget a lot of later Gen Pokemon exist, because they're a lot more complex in design and there isn't anything particularly standout about them that grabs you immediately. There's no focus point. It's not BAD design, but it's not memorable the same way, and I think this is what a lot of people who make this complaint about them running out of ideas might feel: none of the Pokemon from later gens are memorable. They're actually too detailed for their own good.

Although it's a question of context and timing, perhaps. If Pokemon had come out with fusion and Mega evos and UBs and the rest of it - stuff other commonly comparable franchises implemented years previously - generations earlier, would some fans have reacted the way they have? Did they just take too long to do it? Nobody owns the rights to these ideas, and just because they've been done before does not mean they can't be done again by someone else in their own way - if that was the case Pokemon wouldn't even exist; Dragon Quest V did monster capturing first - and even done better...but there's the problem. They're not done better. They're barely done at all.

I wonder if it's a case of not so much running out of ideas as finally getting around to implementing new ones and not quite getting them to fit with Pokemon as a franchise because they're not taking enough time to do so. Mega Evolution was a Gen VI feature that was summarily dropped with Gen VII. UBs will probably be this too. They're carried over between games, sure, but they're just features that aren't given the necessary depth to make them stand out. They don't build on those ideas once they've started. They don't feel like part of the Pokemon franchise because they're not build up: we've not had any new Megas in Gen VII. We probably won't get UBs in Gen VIII, or alternate forms of existing Pokemon for whatever the next region will be. They don't feel like Pokemon because GF don't take the time to build on the theme and make them feel like Pokemon any more.

They're great ideas, I think. It's nice to see stuff like Primal Reversion, and Pokemon from different dimensions, and fusions, and the rest of it. But GF use them as single-gen features rather than as a new branch of Pokemon that they can explore and develop in subsequent releases, which they definitely could do if they wanted to. It's good for the individual games that introduce these things, but bad for the franchise as a whole, as there is no real sense of continuity or connection between the games now, outside of the existing Pokemon from the past that are incorporated into the titles.

tl;dr not so much "running out of ideas" as "not properly developing new ideas" in my opinion.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Do you mean that in the sense that it's so radically different from anything that has come previously, or that it looks like its been taken straight out of something else? This is something I find a little puzzling, in what people think that Pokemon are "supposed" to look like.

That said, I think one of the reasons people feel that GF might be running out of ideas is because those ideas are gradually becoming more complex and detailed. There is a pretty crazy level of detail in a lot of the later designs, and some of the Mega Evolutions take that up to eleven, with planes and angles and spikes on spikes etc. They're reaching further and further afield for new ideas...or so it seems, as they're having to put more and more detail into those to differentiate them from previous Pokemon.

A lot of the earlier Gen Pokemon are much simpler in design, which you could argue is a bad thing...but then, people remember them, and might frequently forget a lot of later Gen Pokemon exist, because they're a lot more complex in design and there isn't anything particularly standout about them that grabs you immediately. There's no focus point. It's not BAD design, but it's not memorable the same way, and I think this is what a lot of people who make this complaint about them running out of ideas might feel: none of the Pokemon from later gens are memorable. They're actually too detailed for their own good.

Although it's a question of context and timing, perhaps. If Pokemon had come out with fusion and Mega evos and UBs and the rest of it - stuff other commonly comparable franchises implemented years previously - generations earlier, would some fans have reacted the way they have? Did they just take too long to do it? Nobody owns the rights to these ideas, and just because they've been done before does not mean they can't be done again by someone else in their own way - if that was the case Pokemon wouldn't even exist; Dragon Quest V did monster capturing first - and even done better...but there's the problem. They're not done better. They're barely done at all.

I wonder if it's a case of not so much running out of ideas as finally getting around to implementing new ones and not quite getting them to fit with Pokemon as a franchise because they're not taking enough time to do so. Mega Evolution was a Gen VI feature that was summarily dropped with Gen VII. UBs will probably be this too. They're carried over between games, sure, but they're just features that aren't given the necessary depth to make them stand out. They don't build on those ideas once they've started. They don't feel like part of the Pokemon franchise because they're not build up: we've not had any new Megas in Gen VII. We probably won't get UBs in Gen VIII, or alternate forms of existing Pokemon for whatever the next region will be. They don't feel like Pokemon because GF don't take the time to build on the theme and make them feel like Pokemon any more.

They're great ideas, I think. It's nice to see stuff like Primal Reversion, and Pokemon from different dimensions, and fusions, and the rest of it. But GF use them as single-gen features rather than as a new branch of Pokemon that they can explore and develop in subsequent releases, which they definitely could do if they wanted to. It's good for the individual games that introduce these things, but bad for the franchise as a whole, as there is no real sense of continuity or connection between the games now, outside of the existing Pokemon from the past that are incorporated into the titles.

tl;dr not so much "running out of ideas" as "not properly developing new ideas" in my opinion.

I admit that pokemon has no set fashion, or designs, but we are able to notice when they start doing different stuff. Yes indeed Pokemon were more simple, and they looked either cute or cool. I don't really care how much complex the new mons are, or will be, it all has simply lost it's charm. It's like getting used to something and it starts changing to an instance that you're beginning to dislike it. The ideas and designs are fine, good in general, it might attract new people to it. But I don't like it, I'd be happier if all the games did what Silver/Gold did, a direct sequel. No alternate dimensions or timelines, it's all too messed up for me.

Also, sprites represented Pokemon better, I was happy when it all went 3D because that was something I always wanted to see happen, but playing X/Y.. I was glad whenever the camera zoomed in really close to a pokemon, because that was the only time you could see them properly, it didn't look good in 3D, at least in X/Y. All the details they add to pokemon are basically pointless because you don't get to see them nicely on the small screens of 3DSes, they were indeed better suited for the pixelic graphics.

Some stuff I wrote might be dumb or irrelevant, and might use rethinking because I just wrote what came into my mind, and I also am not trying to degrade the game, if you like it, cool. I will always be a fan of Pokemon but these are just my thoughts on the stuff that was happening most recently to them.
    Just personal opinions.

pkmin3033

I admit that pokemon has no set fashion, or designs, but we are able to notice when they start doing different stuff. Yes indeed Pokemon were more simple, and they looked either cute or cool. I don't really care how much complex the new mons are, or will be, it all has simply lost it's charm. It's like getting used to something and it starts changing to an instance that you're beginning to dislike it. The ideas and designs are fine, good in general, it might attract new people to it. But I don't like it, I'd be happier if all the games did what Silver/Gold did, a direct sequel. No alternate dimensions or timelines, it's all too messed up for me.

Also, sprites represented Pokemon better, I was happy when it all went 3D because that was something I always wanted to see happen, but playing X/Y.. I was glad whenever the camera zoomed in really close to a pokemon, because that was the only time you could see them properly, it didn't look good in 3D, at least in X/Y. All the details they add to pokemon are basically pointless because you don't get to see them nicely on the small screens of 3DSes, they were indeed better suited for the pixelic graphics.

Some stuff I wrote might be dumb or irrelevant, and might use rethinking because I just wrote what came into my mind, and I also am not trying to degrade the game, if you like it, cool. I will always be a fan of Pokemon but these are just my thoughts on the stuff that was happening most recently to them.
    Just personal opinions.
    Well, I was just curious as to what you meant...I mean, a fairly common complaint is that a lot of Pokemon look too much like/follow the trends of Digimon, and I was curious exactly what the concept of a "proper" Pokemon might mean to you. Where you think they go wrong, or show a little desperation, or lack of creativity, with these things.

I agree with you that sprites represented Pokemon better, though. One thing the 3D models do is fail to really show off the designs properly - they're poorly constructed, washed-out, and in no way capture the vibrancy of spirit that the franchise has. Close up in Amie/Refresh, they're marginally better, but those are optional features that you don't ever have to touch - in battle, they're tacky at best. They need a dramatic redesign, or they need to be done away with. The latter won't happen, so I'll quietly say a prayer that the Switch titles are better at showcasing Pokemon designs than the 3DS is. Limits of technology there, perhaps. It doesn't really help that the visual style is unappealing though, so I could see that being a possible reason people might not even be aware of, despite the generally positive reception the 3D models have. I suppose it needed to happen, but it needs a substantial amount of polishing before it reaches the quality of the sprites. A definite downgrade visually despite being a technical upgrade, I would say.

Of course it's all subjective; it's just an interesting topic to explore. You've as much right to your view as anyone else; as I said, I wasn't calling you out. I was just curious.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Well, I was just curious as to what you meant...I mean, a fairly common complaint is that a lot of Pokemon look too much like/follow the trends of Digimon, and I was curious exactly what the concept of a "proper" Pokemon might mean to you. Where you think they go wrong, or show a little desperation, or lack of creativity, with these things.

I agree with you that sprites represented Pokemon better, though. One thing the 3D models do is fail to really show off the designs properly - they're poorly constructed, washed-out, and in no way capture the vibrancy of spirit that the franchise has. Close up in Amie/Refresh, they're marginally better, but those are optional features that you don't ever have to touch - in battle, they're tacky at best. They need a dramatic redesign, or they need to be done away with. The latter won't happen, so I'll quietly say a prayer that the Switch titles are better at showcasing Pokemon designs than the 3DS is. Limits of technology there, perhaps. It doesn't really help that the visual style is unappealing though, so I could see that being a possible reason people might not even be aware of, despite the generally positive reception the 3D models have. I suppose it needed to happen, but it needs a substantial amount of polishing before it reaches the quality of the sprites. A definite downgrade visually despite being a technical upgrade, I would say.

Of course it's all subjective; it's just an interesting topic to explore. You've as much right to your view as anyone else; as I said, I wasn't calling you out. I was just curious.

I know, I just wanted to make sure that nobody who's reading won't understand it like that.

As for what I don't like about the designs, I can't really tell you what went wrong. It's a bit hard describing a whole lot of them. They are simply different. Too complex maybe.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
    Years
  • When it comes to creative Pokemon designs, I don't think Game Freak is running out of ideas. It's more that Game Freak realized after Gen 5 that sometimes, less is more. Look at the Pokemon designs from Gen 6 and 7 and compare them to the designs from Gen 5. While Gen 5 had a lot of good designs, it was mostly split in half between the genuinely good ones and the half-baked or just plain bad designs (Lookin' at you Stunfisk). Quantity over quality. Meanwhile, Gen 6 and 7 may have one or two Pokemon that don't work for some people, the overall quality has improved significantly, though at the cost of a significant drop in numbers. Quality over quantity.
    Also, think of it from the perspective of a programmer. Each Pokemon has to be hand crafted, most likely going through multiple prototype designs before they find the one that works. Then, once they have the design on paper, they have to turn it into a graphic for the game. In Gen 5 and before that meant making a sprite, which is a lot harder than it sounds, but not too hard, even when you have to sprite 150+ new Pokemon designs. However, in Gen 6 they've switched to 3D models. Thus, it's much harder to make viable graphics for each individual Pokemon they add to the game. This is a new thing, so the team needs new members that know how to do these things, and they don't know how long it'll take. Plus, they already have over 600 Pokemon at this point that all need new 3D models. Additionally, each new Pokemon has to have thier own stat spread, thier own movelist, thier own thing to make them viable in combat. It's gonna take a long time, so it's best to just have a few new Pokemon.
    One other thing I've thought about, how many Fakemon are there? Is it possible that someone at Game Freak has thought over a possible new design, and after pitching it to the team found out that there's a Fakemon out there that's too close for comfort. A bomb mouse Pokemon? It's a Fakemon. Chinese dragon combined with Chinese fireworks? Fakemon. Psychic peacock? Head over to Pokemon Vega and you'll find Peacoptic. If they make a Pokemon that just so happens to be a bit too close to a Fakemon design then people will accuse Game Freak of copying them. You think it won't happen? Check out the comments on this woodpecker Fakemon. How many Pokemon designs were scrapped because they were too close to some random Fakemon on the Net? It's one thing to be accused of being uncreative, but it's even worse to be accused of plagiarism.

Years
  • This complaint has been going on since Gen III. They still have tons of design choices they haven't considered, which means tons of potential pokemon. Also speaking culturally or geographically they have many regions they have not touched yet either. India, Africa, South America, Himalayas, West/Midwest USA, Iceland, Canada (especially to the far north), etc all have tons of wildlife that they could implement into the games. There are also tons of creatures from European, Asian, and Native American folklore they could also use. We've seen them do this many times (example lotad line) but they still have so much more they could do.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Game Freak won't run out of ideas. As long as thr franchise is popular enough then i don't see them stopping any time soon.

Kartanaheart

Origami King
    Years
  • The "running out of ideas" meme-argument used for object Pokemon is absolute bullshit and I'm sick of hearing it. "lol klefkay is just keys lmao!!! runnn out of idead" is what you hear on most "top 10 worst Pokemon lists" and et cetera. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you notice, all the inanimate objects have a unique theme to them which allow them to mesh into the living world of Pokemon. Look at Dhelmise, actually coming from the life force of seaweed attaching itself to discarded ship parts (who even uses whirlpools to catch prey!)--or Banette, who's really a discarded doll looking for vengeance. Even Klefki, mentioned earlier (who is a huge target for hate) is based off the myths of fairies being blamed for stealing small objects such as keys.

I've tried to design object Pokemon that look appealing, it isn't just slapping eyes on something and expecting it to look good, because it won't. It takes a great deal of creativity to get something that matches Aegislash's majesty and elegance, or Kartana's cuteness--it also involves taking various aspects and parts of those objects and personifying them, like the exposed cable ends on Xurkitree becoming claws like those of a living creature, or, I'd hate to mention Dhelmise a second time, (it's a good example of a lot of things that make object Pokemon good) but its wheel becoming a head and a compass becoming its eye. It takes creativity to take an everyday object and turn it into something the fans will love and remember, and I respect Game Freak's skill at doing that.

Now, if it really were just the things people needlessly complain about, boring object Pokemon designs with no lore (which don't exist), then there would be reason to be upset and say that GF has no ideas for them.

More generally, In gen 7, they came up with a lot of interesting new concepts, like the siren-seal and refractive prism-beast to name a couple, so I seriously doubt they're actually running out of ideas. No design or concept out of gen 7 was necessarily plain or boring.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Frankly, from what I see, they don't just run out of ideas, they just need... breaks :) . After all, even Gen 1 has a telltale sign on running out of ideas: they copy-pasted an evolutionary line (Nidoran lines) .

I think the one who explains it the best is this guy, the "Modern Hermit" (or "Ermite Moderne"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKOBy3mRKg
    The video is in French, but I've translated the relevant part in the spoiler tag (but, please, click on the link to give the guy's channel a view) . The video was released when Black2/White2 came out. As someone who prefers Gen 5 Pokémon over Gen 1 Pokémon any day of the week, I wholeheartedly agree with him. This also serves to illustrate my point: their creativity did not decrease with time, and they are not running out of ideas... otherwise, you could say they ran out of ideas on day 1 :) .

For the French-speaking fellows, the relevant part starts at 3:40.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    That mentality is invalid, since we still get amazing Pokémon in each generation, even if there's a handful of duds in them.

We have a handful of species scarcely seen in the media portrayed as Pokémon. For example, there are bee flies, crown-of-thorn starfishes, and diving-bell spiders.

Although, there is one part of me that feels that some Pokémon designs in later generations do feel like they'd belong in either western cartoons or other video games.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 19, 2023
    I believe like with any large company, mistakes can be made along the way. We as gamers are all too familiar with games that have lacked what it took to go the distance. A repercussion for the Pokémon franchise I believe is that the competitive battling community has really taken control the the game's developement. Sure they add a few cute things here and there but there are other demographics to cater to in the series. I play competitively and approve of most of their decisions personally, what I dislike is that the exploration part, that oh so famous "Gotta Catch'em All" slogan seems to be losing its luster. I understand adding a plethora of Pokémon at once may dilute the game a bit but not enough mons and the older players can be bored. After all, that's why we ever started playing the game. To collect them all and prove ourselves. That said, I still enjoy the games, all of them. I just see them as potentials. If there ever was a game with 300 new monsters, there would probably be a tiny explosion somewhere in this planet.

In more direct a response, no, I don't believe they are losing ideas. I think they most likely have a vault of undiscovered Pokémon designs somewhere. I may not initially like all of them at first but they grow on me because they are apart of that. Memes, jokes and comic relief wouldn't be here without them. No Espurr or Bidoof or Karp memes. What a dark world that would be.

Last edited:
    Back