• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things in Pokemon that do not make sense.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2012
    I know it is game made up of fictional creatures but this one thing just really annoys me. I want to know if anyone else has somethings like this about the games. For me the one thing that annoys me the most is if your pokemon can use an HM out of battle and your pokemon faints you can still use the HM out of battle. Like your pokemon is not strong enough to battle at the moment but it can fly you to a different city or carry you up a mountain. I would like to know some other things like this people noticed.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    I know it is game made up of fictional creatures but this one thing just really annoys me. I want to know if anyone else has somethings like this about the games. For me the one thing that annoys me the most is if your pokemon can use an HM out of battle and your pokemon faints you can still use the HM out of battle. Like your pokemon is not strong enough to battle at the moment but it can fly you to a different city or carry you up a mountain. I would like to know some other things like this people noticed.

Suppose you surf over a river and then your surfer dies. You are trapped.
    Suppose you surf, and your surfer dies while surfing. You drown?
    Suppose you're underwater, your diver dies...
    Suppose you Rock Climb a hill, your climber dies...
    etc.

What annoys me tho, is that you cannot erase HM moves. The only thing is prevents is deleting Surf while you are using it. And that could be programmed directly. "Wartortle cannot forget Surf because its still in use."
    Its not like you cant teach it again if you get trapped....

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
    The weird properties of TMs- Why can you teach Ice Punch to Wooper if it has no hands?

Types stuff- Why would a Dark creature be weak to a Bug? How can a jellyfish be a ghost? Technically, shouldn't Poison be super-effective on Steel because acid can eat through or corrode metal?

Legendaries- How can it be possible that you can catch a Pokemon that is a god, anyway?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The weird properties of TMs- Why can you teach Ice Punch to Wooper if it has no hands?

Types stuff- Why would a Dark creature be weak to a Bug? How can a jellyfish be a ghost? Technically, shouldn't Poison be super-effective on Steel because acid can eat through or corrode metal?

Legendaries- How can it be possible that you can catch a Pokemon that is a god, anyway?

It probably uses its tail when it performs the move. Gastly learning the elemental punches is weird too, but at least it can create its own hands, as seen in the anime.

Because Frillish and Jellicent are based on the jellyfish-like yokai, Nurarihyon.

(have no say on the last one)

Anyway, my own:

Why are the stats and Pokedex entries of some Pokemon inconsistent with one another? (ex. Escavalier can fly at high speed, but has a base Speed of 20)

How can Stunfisk survive in water despite being an Electric/Ground Pokemon? And how can it not be a Water Pokemon when it's clearly based on a fish?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is this: Why does forcing your pokemon to fight other pokemon bring you closer to it, and the ones your fighting?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Types stuff- Why would a Dark creature be weak to a Bug? Technically, shouldn't Poison be super-effective on Steel because acid can eat through or corrode metal?

Dark/Bug association:

Dark is underhanded and dirty tactics while Bug represents society as a whole. Since doing bad/underhanded things is frowned upon and punishable by society Dark is weak to Bug. Its one psychological standpoint on that.

Fighting is another rendition on that in relation to both. Fighting dirty can get you an edge, but generally a clean fighter comes out on top in the end (ideally) therefore Fighting represents Rules vs Dark's anti-rule/underhanded tactics. While fighting is a part of Society. Since its done in a fairly common manner society isn't phased by fighting as much (Bug resists Fighting)

As for Poison vs Steel, Poison is literally bacterial poison. While there is a move acid, its not the same acid like in real life that can eat through metal. Since majority of Steel Pokemon usually appear as inorganic they aren't effected by bacteria and viruses as their bodies don't have anything to be effected. Poison is basically illness/sickness while Steel is pretty much Machines.

You could bring in Computer viruses but those aren't technically poisons.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is this: Why does forcing your pokemon to fight other pokemon bring you closer to it, and the ones your fighting?

This makes sense actually. Ask any war veteran how close they were with people they fought alongside.

Using a Charmander underwater makes 0 sense when if its tail goes out, it dies.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years

How can a jellyfish be a ghost?

It doesn't necessarily require the use of the same limb for all pokemon,
    however the real reason is most likely simply because Quagsire has hands and could use Ice Punch on its set and they didn't notice Wooper having none.

Ghost type=/=actual ghost
    Those are Ghost type pokemon. They are not pokemon that died or whatever, they are just unusual organisms. Gastly for example is a creature made of gas instead of your normal biology.

You can because its not a god. Its a pokemon. With extraordinary abilities, like changing to particular type when holding a Plate, or creating an egg in a ritual involving hundreds of Unown.
    Myth=/=history

Why are the stats and Pokedex entries of some Pokemon inconsistent with one another? (ex. Escavalier can fly at high speed, but has a base Speed of 20)

How can Stunfisk survive in water despite being an Electric/Ground Pokemon? And how can it not be a Water Pokemon when it's clearly based on a fish?

The dex entries are so full of nonsense and impossibilities that they are clearly not meant to be taken seriously.
    Its like some random thing someone made up, without real basis.

Fish=/=Water type.
    Theoretically a fish could be Fire/Grass if they wanted and still live in water.
    I was waiting for them to make fish that aren't Water for a long time, just so it would explain this to people.
    The type is not about where you live, its about what elemental abilities you have.
    Being a fish does not make you Water,
    Being Water does not make you aquatic either. You can be Water type and live in the desert if it fits your concept.
    Also, it's Ground/Electric.

Pokemon are clearly a lot tougher than humans.
    Meaning they can withstand things that would otherwise result in major injuries.
    Meaning fighting is actually fun for them.
    You're not forcing them. If they didn't want to, they could ignore you or try to escape.

Using a Charmander underwater makes 0 sense when if its tail goes out, it dies.

That is one of those famous nonsense things the anime made up I believe. I don't remember anyone saying their Charmander died in rain or anything similar in the games.

Years
    There are really a lot of things in the game that don't make sense. A few off the top of my head would be:

- Fitting a bicycle, Poke Balls, Repels, Potions, fishing rods and a lot more into a regular sized backpack
    - Being able to fly on the back of a Pidgey, or surfing on a Luvdisc
    - Taking on (and defeating virtually by yourself) a criminal organization as a child
    - Legendary and Mythical Pokemon just seemingly there for the taking
    - Can only fly to your home, Pokemon Centers and one or two other key locations, despite having traveled everywhere

But then again, if the games were to make a lot of sense, they would undoubtably be the most boring video games ever made.

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
    The one minor thing that I always thought was strange was why nobody else in the entire PokeWorld named their Pokemon. (Save for like, Dux, Marcel, Strawberry etc.) You would figure someone who loved Pokemon enough like a gym leader would maybe call their partners something other than the species name. I know it's to give the player an advantage when battling, but, I dunno. Maybe it's because I put so much thought into mine. :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Many of the HMs. Dive. How in the heck do you breathe underwater, particularly since your character does not don scuba gear before going under... And Fly with certain Pokemon. Like the first stage birds which are clearly too small to support a trainer's weight. And Dodrio. And that's not even mentioning the inherent hazard of flying on a Pokemon at all... at least with a plane, there's walls so you can't accidentially fall out of it if you lose your balance. A Pokemon? Better make sure your grip is tight, because if you slip, you're plummeting to your doom.

Heck, the idea of some 10 year old traveling an entire region by foot makes no sense to me. It would be much more realistic if the character was 16 and you toured the region by car. And then where does your character eat/sleep/etc?

From 4th gen on, how can your carry everything in your bag? And in all the games, how do you carry around a bike when you're not using it? It might not be a car, but it's certainly not a small, lightweight piece of equipment.

And let's also address why the evil team grunts just let you pass after you defeat them. Instead of, you know, pulling out a shotgun and blowing your character away and eliminating the single biggest threat to their plans. Of course, many of their plans are way out there too... And how does someone consstruct a huge castle underground, then have it rise up? There's a limit to what one can accomplish with hydraulic lifting devices...

Cities consisting of tree houses, cities built within craters, and towns floating in the middle of the sea make no sense either.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014

Yeah, I never got the point in differentiating an HM from a TM in the first place outside of a limitation on the player (I couldn't have been the only one back in the first generation that refused to teach any of my main Pokemon any HM besides Surf precisely because HMs felt like a limitation rather than any sort of enhancement).

There are really a lot of things in the game that don't make sense. A few off the top of my head would be:

- Fitting a bicycle, Poke Balls, Repels, Potions, fishing rods and a lot more into a regular sized backpack

Maybe I'm alone in this but I always assumed the bicycle was like the portable bicycle we have today where you can actually fold it in half. On the other hand, there is an extremely small amount of video games promoting a logical inventory to begin with, RPGs most of all are unlikely to promote it.

- Being able to fly on the back of a Pidgey, or surfing on a Luvdisc

Or how about being able to surf on a ground Pokemon like Nidoking? (Or maybe rock type too? Not sure if any rock Pokemon can learn surf.)

- Taking on (and defeating virtually by yourself) a criminal organization as a child

Kids do everything anyways... (J/K)

But then again, if the games were to make a lot of sense, they would undoubtably be the most boring video games ever made.

Yup, this is plausibly true.

Back