• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things You Miss from Older Gens

JERIICHO

Jericho is Law
    Years
    I really miss where pokemon where able to follow you
    Level 5 eggs
    and most of all the lack of critical hits which happens constantly in black and white

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Pokemon contest and the pokewalker was pretty kool but i only ever used it when i really wanted to count my steps XD. and the pokeradar would keep me playing for hours that really was a fun feature

Years
    Auto lv. 100 6v6 wi-fi battles. While grinding to lv. 100 is extremely fun in this game (no joke), it would've been pretty convenient to keep that feature.

Speaking of which, I did kind of miss VS seeker and such at first, but then I found that if you know how to work the game right (Lucky Egg and Exp. Pass Power), you could get TRUCKLOADS of experience from the places stadiums and other powerful trainers. Moreso than the previous games and not have to deal with the annoyance of having to "recharge".

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I really miss the VS seeker - It was such a easy way to grind pokemon and gain money. I also miss the touch style interface from HG/SS.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

The pokeathalon was so cool. The VS seeker was very useful. I also liked the under ground. But the thing i miss the most secret bases from gen III.

Years
    I miss the Pokemon following you, that's why I enjoyed HGSS!

Also, the VS Seeker. It made gaining EXP easier.

I don't mind the characters, though. Hilda and Cheren look so cool!

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    Can't really say I miss the VS Seeker as I never really used it but I do miss the Safari Zone.
    Also I actually miss Zubat and Geodude.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Definitely the PokéRadar brought in DPPt. I actually had the patience to chain and hunt for shinies with it, and I usually got pretty lucky doing so. It gave another challenge to attempt in the games as well, and it was always wonderful seeing that shiny grass patch glow. *-* It wasn't very fun when a chain broke at a high count, but that's just what makes the challenge too. @_@ If anything, GameFreak should totally bring it back sometime.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    like some people the Missingo duplicating glitch.
    Also the game corner, and younger Joey.

There is a Youngster Joey, though. Just this one has a Patrat and isn't annoying. :D

Anyway... most of the features removed I didn't really use.

I only remember the VS Seeker in LG, and that it was stupid in LG. :x Didn't you just click trainers and they randomly rebattle you in other games? lol my memory sucks so. >__>;

Only thing I miss is Pokeathlon. 'twas fun, but kinda boring at the same time, and there just aren't enough mini-games in the DW to make up for it. :(

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
    Years
    1. The Vs. Seeker because it helps me a lot for level up my pokes
    2. The pokerader because I miss chaining a shiny pokemon. I helps me to sharp my mind into focusing on something.
    3. rematch with all of the gym leaders

Zaspien

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I miss the increased utilisation of the touchscreen (as shown in HeartGold and SoulSilver). The touchscreen is used in Black and White, but in HeartGold and SoulSilver the things that could be done with the touchscreen (such as speaking, selecting options, menu, key items and running shoes) make it so much easier, in my opinion.

I also miss the Battle Frontier. I know the Battle Subway is kind of a replacement but for a somewhat competitive battler like me, the different battle facilities available pose to be a lot of fun and force you to adapt to different circumstances which make you a better battler than just straight battles like in the Battle Subway. Maybe they're planning to introduce it in a third game, who knows.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    If I miss anything from the older games, it's the gym leader rematches. Hopefully they'll have it in the 3rd game but other than that, I don't really miss anything else.

koji8123

PKMN Collector
    Years
    Ability to travel to different regions
    Old elite four set up.. The new one is HORRIBLE. All the elite four is made up of i mainly psychic, ghost, and dark.
    Victory Road. B/W victory road is a joke.
    Creativity with legendaries.
    seems like all the legendaries are becoming more and more less creative, ex
    1st Gen Trio Birds were very different from each other and even had some odd creativity in the names; ArticUNO, ZapaDOS, & MolTRES (Spanish for 1, 2, & 3)
    The birds were very different physically but yet you still knew they were a group.
    The new Tornados or whatever.. What a joke. They are exactly the same with different move sets and colors and no creativity.
    AND FINALLY; A true rival. Gary vs Ash was so fun! Now you just have two annoying friends tagging along and annoying you every step of the way. Z doesnt put up much of a fight and overall isnt a challenge. (Along with your two friends)
    D;

but still i love the game just thought id tell you what i wish we still had :}

I have to agree with most of the stuff in the above quote. I liked to go to different regions, I like the pokemon from Gen I much better, I like Gary MOFO Oak who showed up when You were down to your last pokemon, no revives, and three feet away from a pokecenter, not two who give you a fair shot, takes my victory away =/. Victory road had STRONG pokemon. not a couple of trainers to beat down and some ant looking things with an obvious 4x weakness to fire. how lame.

From other generations besides Red, I like the apps for for poketech. I'm glad theres no more link cables though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Secret Bases are what I miss - they were so awesome. Also, Gym Leader rematches. They were great for levelling up.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Pokerader! That thing was awesome!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Secret Bases are what I miss - they were so awesome. Also, Gym Leader rematches. They were great for levelling up.
    Secret Bases were definitely something I used to play around with whenever I was bored with everything else in the games. It was sad they didn't make a return, but I'm hoping they will for future generations (rs remakes <3). Silly GameFreak, removing the ideal features for new ones.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    The menu screen for HG/SS. I really hate new pokemon... Making me remember all their weird names. (generation III to V but especially generation V)
    My only wish that pokemon will always remain at 151 species.

Back