• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thinking of starting a Pokemon league.

Years
    There's two comic shops in my area: holds Magic and YuGiOh events, and one that does Magic and board game nights. Both shops sell Pokemon card, but neither one hosts any sort of organized play. My girlfriend's daughter is really into Pokemon and we play the card game while her mom is at work, but her older brothers never want to play with her (busy with Animal Crossing and Little Big Planet), so I was looking into leagues in the area so that she could make some friends her own age to play the PKMN TCG with. Sadly, the closest place is over an hour's drive.

I spoke with a friend of mine who owns one of the comic shops I mentioned above, and he said he'd totally be down for hosting a league at his shop as long as I ran it. So, I come to you, Pokecommunity, for help and advice.

To run a league, you need to take a test, and get some sort of trainer ID card, and send in reports each season... it seems like a lot. I work from home as a full-time blogger, so finding the time for meetups isn't an issue, but before I get in over my head, I'd like to hear stories or advice from anyone else out there who has run their own league, or anyone who is part of a league (or just anyone with good advice!). How do I get the word out to get more people to attend? How much do I need to know about the card game? Are parents just going to drop their kids off and leave me to babysit them at the comic shop like all the YuGiOh kids who terrorize the mall on Sundays? What am I in for if I go through with this?

Thanks in advance.

Years
    Not having run an official league myself, I may not be of much help, but here are what I think would at least help you with the questions you have:

Spreading the word: Post banners/fliers in the comic shop it's hosted at, and talk to school administrators in the area as well as with any sort of children's recreational group/business about getting the word out about your league at their place. This may result in your league being seen as a daycare by many parents, though, so you'd want to make it clear that your league is not a daycare and that parents, especially those of children under 10 or 11, should stay to supervise their children.

You'll need to know a lot about the card game, because you will need to pass the very difficult Professor's Test to start running an officially sanctioned league, which is the same test that is taken by those who aspire to become judges at official tournaments.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
    I used to run a League, so I can probably be the most help.

Anyway, you have to be at least 18 to host the League. The other thing you need is to apply for the League through your Pokemon Trainer Club account. Basically fill out the online form and you should get a response within a week or two.

The other thing that may be required for a new League is submitting a background check. If you decline to send a background check, then you will not be able to host Leagues. They'll provide a form for you to print and deliver via snail mail. For the record, yes, they do require you to enter your social security number, otherwise the whole application is tossed out and you'll have to resubmit a background check. If you're wondering why they require background checks, it's mainly to protect the younger players.

You'll need to know a lot about the card game, because you will need to pass the very difficult Professor's Test to start running an officially sanctioned league, which is the same test that is taken by those who aspire to become judges at official tournaments.
    Actually, you don't have to be a Professor to run a League, although it does help the credibility of the League.

Years
    Thanks for the advice! Raikou Trainer, how tough is the test? And how long after they get back to you do they send the prizes and other promotional items to get started?

Back