• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thoughts on Fairy Types Now?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • One thing that irked me was how people kept trying to denounce the femininity of the Fairy type when it was speculated then announced. Yet all of them, bar Granbull, are pretty feminine and GameFreak even included the Trainer Class "Fairytale Girl". Tell me that's not feminine.

In a series with more male-oriented looking Pokemon (in my opinion anyway) and growing up being told Pokemon was for boys and not for me, I don't mind the feminine looking Pokemon the Fairy-type brought us. Might save some other young girls from going through the crap I put up with in the late 90's. Of course there are more Pokemon now, female playable characters, etc, but you know.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of this type. This being the first game it's in, obviously there are going to be some problems (lack of physical Fairy moves bar Play Rough) but hey, even some types that have been around since the beginning are lacking in some departments. Electric doesn't have good physical moves except for Volt Tackle, which is Pikachu line exclusive. Offensive Poison was awful until Fairy came in to give it something other than Grass that it was super effective against. I think this type worked out for the best. Improvements can be made in the next generation, or in the next game even. But because this is the first time Fairy has been around, I'm gonna cut it some slack. It's almost like a trial period in a sense.

I love all the designs of the Fairy Pokemon, except I feel a bit disappointed in Spritzee's evolution. Was hoping for a more morbid looking bird and maybe it being Fairy/Dark, but oh well.

Years
  • i LOVE the fairy type
    but i wish that it had more weaknesses other than poison and steel :/
    while trying to make a new balance they basically just added a new dragon type :x

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I think it's a little too early to pass judgment. We'll have to see how it fares in the metagame to truly get a good feel for them.

I don't see much problem with their type match-ups. Most are justified both in gameplay and not completely out of whack with their mythology/lore.

I think most can agree that the Fairy type can be compared to the "Light" type that is used throughout the fandom as a counter to Dark.

By being a force of good, we can reason their trumping of Dragon can be associated with the valor of the knights of old. The old standby of many fairy(heh) tales.

So, this "Good" force triumphing over Dragon, Dark, and Fighting makes sense- all three can be interpreted as traditionally less-than-nice. Gameplay-wise, it balances out types that didn't have much in terms of weaknesses either. Dragon only to itself and Ice. Fighting feared only Flying and Psychic. Dark was immune to Psychic, and was only weak to Fighting and Bug.

Its own weaknesses make sense, too.

I think the Poison one is fairly evident, and in some mythologies a good detractor for fae beings was iron.

And again- it gives an offensive boost to these two types. Poison especially- having been super-effective against only Grass 'till now. (I think it was super-effective against Bug also in Gen 1. I can't remember).

As for the whole femininity aspect of it-

So what.

People are far too quick to assign their politico/socio bias upon things. Not everything needs to have a charged message.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • As for the whole femininity aspect of it-

So what.

People are far too quick to assign their politico/socio bias upon things. Not everything needs to have a charged message.

Wow, everything has to go back to politics?

**** politics.

You realize the main issue is in the "KAWAII DESU DESU DESU" designs, rather than the highly-feminine ones, right? The main reason for complaints is that a tiny pink blob shouldn't be able to knock out a huge bat-dragon in one hit. And if anything is "politically biased", it's GF making almost every feminine Pokemon a Fairy-type while making next to no male Fairy-types.

And seriously, don't bring your hyper-partisan political views into Pokemon.

Save it for the political discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I agree with the others who said poison and steel needs an upgrade. They seriously do, we need a poison and a dragon eeveelution to balance the special types out but that's for another discussion.

Sylveon is my favorite Gen 6 pokemon so far.

Years
  • Wow, everything has to go back to politics?

F**k politics.

ok um did you even. like. read what they said.

"People are far too quick to assign their politico/socio bias upon things. Not everything needs to have a charged message."

"Wow, everything has to go back to politics? [ insert long political rant here ] And seriously, don't bring your hyper-partisan political views into Pokemon. Save it for the political discussions."

you basically got pissed at them for saying not to put politics into pokemon and then gave a rant about politics and then told them not to put politics in pokemon. ???????? what.

and yo what's wrong with a cute thing beating a dragon. why is that ridiculous.
    implying that you can't be cute and powerful???
    why not? por que no los dos?
    did you ever think this was a way for GF to stop that stereotype?
    to show that, hey, just because you're cutesy doesn't mean you can't wreck stuff if you want.
    why does that bother you so much?

and if people are really complaining about GF not making "male" fairies i'm confused.
    because why wouldn't you be more annoyed that the "girly" designs are reserved for the "fairy" type
    that would be misogyny if anything, not misandry.

and what you'd consider a "manly" type is also very subjective
    because not every male would identify with it--and what does that say about the ones that do?
    like yo one type out of all of the types "caters" to only girls
    [which i dont even think is true, considering that all of the fairy types can be of either gender,
    they just don't look "manly" enough]
    meanwhile most people associate pokemon in general with boys; and they have since the 90's.

y'all need to calm yourself.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • Wow, everything has to go back to politics?

F**k politics.

You realize the main issue is in the "KAWAII DESU DESU DESU" designs, rather than the highly-feminine ones, right? The main reason for complaints is that a tiny pink blob shouldn't be able to knock out a huge bat-dragon in one hit. And if anything is "politically biased", it's GF making almost every feminine Pokemon a Fairy-type while making next to no male Fairy-types.

And seriously, don't bring your hyper-partisan political views into Pokemon.

Save it for the political discussions.

Your reading comprehension skills are weak.

We basically said the same thing, but with yourself being decidedly more of a knee-jerk reaction.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • Hmm...To be honest I didn't mind the Fairy type much, my only problem is that it does not have many weaknesses at all...Steel and Poison, I was kind of hoping it would be weak against Ghost or something as well...

Cuz errr...well it all goes back to Xerneas VS Yveltal to me. No balance between the two since Xerneas' type only is a considerable advantage against Yveltal, and then Gravity + Moon Blast...Plus, Xerneas can also learn Aurora Beam...Sure, Yveltal can learn Steel Wing, but the only poison move we know it can learn is Toxic...

I just wish Fairy Types had at least one more weakness in these games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Hmm...To be honest I didn't mind the Fairy type much, my only problem is that it does not have many weaknesses at all...Steel and Poison, I was kind of hoping it would be weak against Ghost or something as well...

Cuz errr...well it all goes back to Xerneas VS Yveltal to me. No balance between the two since Xerneas' type only is a considerable advantage against Yveltal, and then Gravity + Moon Blast...Plus, Xerneas can also learn Aurora Beam...Sure, Yveltal can learn Steel Wing, but the only poison move we know it can learn is Toxic...

I just wish Fairy Types had at least one more weakness in these games.
    Thoughout my play through of the game I found myself using Pokemon with Ghost type moves when facing fairies out of coincidence. I thought of how Ghost should be Super-effective against Fairy too.

There's no balance between the two in terms of typing, but there is a relationship against Zygarde in that they both have one type that's resistant against one of Zygarde's...

@ Elgyem Your comment can be misread as saying there's no Male Fairy Pokemon. I should be saying Masculine Fairy Pokemon.

I actually thought of Sylveon as slightly less femenine after evolving mine and looking at it after awhile. Also something can be cute and powerful...

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • Thoughout my play through of the game I found myself using Pokemon with Ghost type moves when facing fairies out of coincidence. I thought of how Ghost should be Super-effective against Fairy too.

There's no balance between the two in terms of typing, but there is a relationship against Zygarde in that they both have one type that's resistant against one of Zygarde's...

I thought using Phantom Force on a fairy would land a super-effective hit, since I did not really look at the weaknesses of fairies before playing, but nupe...

Now I'm kinda disappointed that it's only Poison and Steel, Ghost makes more sense to me. Maybe it's because of the "cute and gentle" aura the Fairy type gives, while the Ghost type gives a more "Dreadful and mischevious" kind of feeling, and since they made Dark weak to Fairy, well...why not Ghost super-effective against Fairy then ?

Ah well, I just kinda wished at least one stood a chance against the Fairy type, cuz it's like Xerneas is the absolute one, super-effective against both Dark and Dragon type. Kinda hoped it would be more like Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, where, granted, Articuno is weak against both Moltres and Zapdos, but could at least take down Zapdos with Ice moves, so his Ice type compensated the weakness to the Electric Type.

True, Zapdos can take down Moltres easily, but then Articuno can do something.

With Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde, Xerneas can destroy and resist both Yveltal and Zygarde just by its Fairy type and moves, while Yveltal's and Zygarde's types are unable to land any super-effective hit on Xerneas. So it's as if we had a trio that is without an Articuno, which would just be Zapdos, Moltres and Moltres(2)...Since Yveltal is not super-effective against any of the two, and neither is Zygarde.

Of courseee they can learn TM moves and all but when it comes down to base type-ing, well...yeah.

I don't know if I make sense with my Arti/Zap/Mol comparison but that's just how I see it, Fairy types should have a Ghost weakness + something else and not just Steel and Poison. .n.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hi guys. Fun thing I realized today. A lot of people like to complain about having a cotton candy Pokemon, but really, it makes a ton of sense that we have it as a Fairy type. Cotton candy used to be called fairy floss.

~!*the more you know*!~

Years
  • We call it candy floss in england :P atleast where I live.

As for fairies, they seem cool, feel's like as someone said it seems like a trial run, I had a spritzee for quiet some time, swapped it out in the end (no particular reason) kind of miss having a fairy type on the team, none of the designs/typings work for me at the moment, Hopefully we will see a ghost/fairy, I would love that !

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    If theres any type that needs an upgrade, its my fave type, the ice type
    More moves
    More resistances
    More pokemon
    And a greater variety at that

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I love Fairy Type. I didn't like how many Pokemon like Clefairy were being classified as normal, I always thought they should make a "cosmic" type or something for things like Clefairy. Fairy gives them a category that doesn't seem out of place. I don't understand why Delcatty isn't Fairy type though, it looks like it should be. But that's beside the point.
    Unfortunately there's not many Fairy types that look appealing to me, I think I'll just be using Sylveon for my fairy type. It's my favorite Eeveelution now, after all.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    If theres any type that needs an upgrade, its my fave type, the ice type
    More moves
    More resistances
    More pokemon
    And a greater variety at that

I agree completely. I can only guess they were afraid to give it more resistances cause it WAS the only counter to dragon types besides itself. Ice being resistant to ONLY itself though is really annoying and just makes it harder to pair it with other typings as well with its weakness to common types like fighting, fire, and rock.

I really like ice types but it's hard for me to find anything to use and they are often near the end of the game when you already have a team made. They didn't really do anything for ice types this generation except add avalugg (which is neat but very frail on the special side).

I was really, really hoping that they were going to do some actual old generation evolutions this gen and that Jinx was going to evolve and finally be an amazing, fast special attacker at the levels of alakazam to give ice types a powerhouse but nope. I think GF is too afraid to touch jinx anyways... It's okay Jinx, I love you.

Iskandar

The Seeker Of Light
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2014
    I really like the fairy types so far and especially Sylveon and Xerneas but I feel like it wasnt necessary to make them completely immune to dragon type. :|

Pinta77

At first I wasn't too thrilled about fairy type. Now that I've played the game a little, I think it's a decent addition. I am not to thrilled that they changed previous pokemon into fairy types though. If it was just jigglypuff, maybe I could live with it. But snubble and granbull, I'm not too happy at all. However I like some of the new fairy type pokemon, I just wish they made a few more and maybe some cooler ones.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I was surprised they made Snubull's line pure Fairy. I would've thought they'll have it pull a Jigglypuff and keep it's normal typing...

That might have had something to do with them having fairy as their species name. Both the Snubull and Clefairy families have the fairy species name so it looks like they're intended to be pure fairies.

Back