• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on single stage Pokemon?

Years
  • I do often prefer putting mons that evolve on my teams, however if I like a single stage mon enough it can still end up on my team. There are some great single stage Pokemon around =D
    I've got a Playthrough in Sun that's pretty much completed where I used only single stage Pokemon, because I wanted to give some more of them a try.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think the bigger problem with single stage evolutions is that they're harder to balance.

With many stages you can balance strength / bonkers abilities / etc. behind the evolution method (or level, most of the time), but if they don't evolve you usually either have to place it somewhere close to the end of the game (where most people already have their team completed) or you have to balance it so it's not that good compared to whatever's going on when you get it.

Which is why they tend to be underwhelming competitively, and the ones that don't usually have some kind of weird circumstance (you catch it very late, or only under certain circumstances, or they're a fossil or have some narrative importance) or broken combo that makes it very good (Mimikyu, Dracovish, etc.).

Back