• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Title Screen Hacking Glitch

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    I've been following the tutorial 'Completely Hacking the FireRed Title Screen' and many similar tutorials to replace the Charizard on FireRed's title screen. I've also been attempting to replace the Pokemon logo. The problem is, every time I modify either the Charizard or the logo, the rest of the 'layer' it's on turns yellow, blocking out everything underneath it. I'd post a screenshot, but I'm not allowed to post links yet.

I've be following this and similar tutorials word for word, yet this happens every time. I even did it with a clean ROM, and it still happens. The screenshot is from a clean ROM with only the title screen Charizard changed. The kicker is, I changed the background just fine, without any glitches. This only happens with the logo and Charizard layer. What am I doing wrong?

Years
    the colour of the background for the charizard tileset needs to be the first colour in the palette in order for it to be used as a transparent colour

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    I messed with the palette, even redoing the tutorial again on a clean rom to make sure nothing else in my hack was doing it. I even made sure the first color was the color of my background.

I noticed another strange thing crop up though. The outlines of my sprite are always transparent. So I end up with this weird effect where it's my otherwise correctly colored sprite, surrounded by a colored square, which in turn is against a yellow background that completely covers the title screen background (except for the logo, which is on a different layer. Through the sprite, you can see the flames of the normal FireRed background.

Why just the lines? What's going on?

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    I think I'm starting to figure out the problem. Whenever I index an image in Irfanview, it never picks the 'first' color as the first color in the palette. It always picks whatever color my lines happen to be. I noticed when I upload the image using unLZ, the first color in the palette displayed there is always the color of the lines. So by the time I get into APE, the game has already decided, 'Hey, the lines are transparent.'

Or something. I'm not sure how to fix it. Or just get Iranview to interpret the background as the first color in the palette. That would solve a ton of my problems.

EDIT: I got it to work. I'm not sure HOW...but I did.

Last edited:
    Years
    I think I'm starting to figure out the problem. Whenever I index an image in Irfanview, it never picks the 'first' color as the first color in the palette.

I have similar issues with IrfanView. It always wants to use black as the background. So what I normally do is just make the background black and make the lines slightly less black. And then I can change this in pallete editor later if I need to.

If you found a better way to fix this, I'd love to know.

Back