• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen TMs

How do you use TMs?

• Total voters

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
  • Do you use them when your running through the game, or for competitive battling, or never? I use them rarely in running through the game, to compisant for my pokemons weakness.

robbingdog

I wanna be the guy
    Years
  • I always use them in-game, but only ones I know I won't need for later, like Water Gun or Water Pulse (which later will be replaced with Surf anyway). Sometimes, though, I'm too hesitant to use them, and end up without any moves of a certain type in my party. On the other hand, if I use them carelessly, I can end up needing one later and not have it.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I rarely use TMs at all. There are only a certain handful of TMs I ever use, and those are always planned ahead. Most of the useless TMs I sell for cash.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • TMs, for me, really, are for these 2 reasons:
    * Collection (collect all 50 TMs) :)
    * Battle Styles (useful for Battle Tower)

P.S. = Use them wisely...

Support Pokemon Times! Post on my Newspaper Thread! :)

Translator

I want a blog.
    Years
  • I don't know why but, I rarely use my TM's during the game but I only use the ones that you can buy at some shops. But I also use them for competitive battling.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    I Never use TMs. i like to collect them anyway..

cuplampghosthunt

<--I don't know what this is
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2012
    I never use TMs. Usually I'll get a TM early in the game and decide to save it, because I don't want to use it on a POKéMON that I might abandon later in the game for a more powerful one, and this will usually go on until I'm at the Elite Four and realize that the TMs I have aren't as good as the moves my POKéMON already know. The only time I ever used a TM was once in Pokémon Gold, I taught SHOCK WAVE to my RAICHU in an attempt to catch Lugia by using an electric POKéMON. Then I tried to tade it back to Red, and i realized SHOCK WAVE wasn't a move in the first generation.
    In other words, I have used a TM exactly once, and I deleted it after the first battle I used it in. After that I basically gave up on them.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • I use TMs for running through the game, usually to get as many different types in a Pokémon's moveset as possible. Sometimes I use them for certain type advantages that I don't already have.

It's not an Advanced Gen example, but the most recently that this happened, I was four or five badges into Crystal with my team pretty firmly locked into place when I realized that not a single one of my Pokémon knew a single Grass or Electric-type move. Pretty much all the money I made for the next few days went into buying a Thunder TM from the game corner to teach my Persian.

Bizarre movesets are fun. TMs are perfect opportunities to make some.

Back