• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[To the ROM Hackers] - Something that might help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    WARNING: Wall of text ahead

The tutorials' existance has a reason. If someone takes ROM-Hacking serious, then they should read every bit of the tutorials, and if they don't understand something, then ask for help, pointing out what they don't understand. But, politely, and with a good grammar. Nobody likes insulting messages or ones with bad grammar.

That loss of balance is caused mainly by those who don't take ROM-Hacking serious or don't accept criticism, giving up just some days after they started. And I say - criticism isn't always bad. It's not meant to say that a project sucks, it's meant to point errors and maybe giving tips to help you getting better. If someone wants to be sucessful on a project, they must accept criticism, even if it's bad.

You don't have to know everything about ROM hacking, to be good at it.
    I totally agree. People that are good at something may not know everything about it.

You must put effort in a ROM-Hack if you want it to be successful (not only in ROM-Hacking; in the real life things too.), and accept criticism. Don't accept criticism? Then don't ROM-Hack and learn to accept it before trying again.
    If someone doesn't put effort on a ROM-Hack, it will be nothing. Or almost nothing. Those who leave just some days after starting probably had great expectations because there were many good hacks, some of them made by one single person, and thought it was easy to do something like that. But the point is that they probably never had much effort on it, thought it was easy but it wasn't. I can tell by experience that serious ROM-Hacking is, definitely, not easy.

Well I agree with everything that you said there. I never got much into ROM-Hacking, got some bits while I was here in PC, but experience on other things has told me this.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Ha, dont get mad at the hacks I posted, plus RD's are not really current, he stopped the new one for a while during school and the other two are done so ya. Those were in no particular order

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
    I agree. I only come on once a week or 2 and I'm still getting lots of PMs. I try to reply to most of them, but sometimes they just get to be too much.

READ TUTORIALS PEOPLE!

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
    People shouldn't put so much thought on getting help. You could put up a Team Thread or something but instead of not progressing at all before you get help, read tutorials and make something of that time. Some people won't get help at all so always be prepared for that BUT if you have a question or want advice, I guarantee that someone will answer. Be prepared to make it as far as possible alone, but the more help you get the better.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    WARNING: Wall of text ahead

The tutorials' existance has a reason. If someone takes ROM-Hacking serious, then they should read every bit of the tutorials, and if they don't understand something, then ask for help, pointing out what they don't understand. But, politely, and with a good grammar. Nobody likes insulting messages or ones with bad grammar.

That loss of balance is caused mainly by those who don't take ROM-Hacking serious or don't accept criticism, giving up just some days after they started. And I say - criticism isn't always bad. It's not meant to say that a project sucks, it's meant to point errors and maybe giving tips to help you getting better. If someone wants to be sucessful on a project, they must accept criticism, even if it's bad.

I totally agree. People that are good at something may not know everything about it.

You must put effort in a ROM-Hack if you want it to be successful (not only in ROM-Hacking; in the real life things too.), and accept criticism. Don't accept criticism? Then don't ROM-Hack and learn to accept it before trying again.
    If someone doesn't put effort on a ROM-Hack, it will be nothing. Or almost nothing. Those who leave just some days after starting probably had great expectations because there were many good hacks, some of them made by one single person, and thought it was easy to do something like that. But the point is that they probably never had much effort on it, thought it was easy but it wasn't. I can tell by experience that serious ROM-Hacking is, definitely, not easy.

Well I agree with everything that you said there. I never got much into ROM-Hacking, got some bits while I was here in PC, but experience on other things has told me this.

Yep. You definitely summed it up. You're completely right on the cause of the imbalance. The hacking section may be booming, but it's booming with little good hacks, and mostly 1-day old ideas.

If you've got an idea, don't give up on it!

Ha, dont get mad at the hacks I posted, plus RD's are not really current, he stopped the new one for a while during school and the other two are done so ya. Those were in no particular order

So I see. Hmm, didn't know about that.

I agree. I only come on once a week or 2 and I'm still getting lots of PMs. I try to reply to most of them, but sometimes they just get to be too much.

READ TUTORIALS PEOPLE!
    I did not expect someone like you, Darthy, to post here. (well, I kind of did, but not much. :P)

Maybe we should all put a link to the Tut's section in our sigs? ;P
    I get random friend requests from people as well. Just so they can ask for help. Geez, would it kill ya to just leave a visitor message?

People shouldn't put so much thought on getting help. You could put up a Team Thread or something but instead of not progressing at all before you get help, read tutorials and make something of that time. Some people won't get help at all so always be prepared for that BUT if you have a question or want advice, I guarantee that someone will answer. Be prepared to make it as far as possible alone, but the more help you get the better.

Wait, you mean they should put some thought into how they say it, or not?
    You should always read tutorials, even if you don't know a blasted thing about what they're talking about. Who knows, you might just learn what you're best at that way.

AND GUESS WHAT? That's how it was with me! I looked at thethethethe's PokeScript tutorial, and that's how I learned scripting, and learned to translate it, and learned what I'm best at in RH.

See what happens when you read tutorials?

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    Ah youre so getting it
    Actually i have to say i didnt read the whole thing cause i dont have time now, but i fully agree with what i read
    people shouldnt think they can just drop in rom hacking and be good right from the start... you have to learn it! and you can only become better by accepting criticism and by criticising yourself. you have to see your errors and learn from them.
    even though a lot of people call me one of the best mappers (or even THE best mapper [please note that i never claimed to be the best, thats just what people say]), i am still learning in these days. i even overwork old maps of mine that received brilliant ratings in the mrt because i dont like speccific things in them that i got better at now.
    eg i only learned to map trees properly by disturbed criticising me for it. it actually was a long post of him but i fully read it and i saw he was right, me trees didnt look natural back then.
    and you know how i learned to map mountains? zetka, a guy that joined our team a long time ago but he left rom hacking for some reasons, was kind of a mapping student of mine. but his mountains looked so awesome so i just tried to recreate his way of mapping mountains.

the author of this thread obviously already knows all this, but i hope some newbies read this post.

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    Hi, well I'm new round here. And to start posting with something more usefull than a question, a compliment, yea.

I don't think that what you wrote was pure cristicism. Actually the way you think...what can I say ?
    I'm pretty sure that many people agree with me (and you). It's because of people like you that great forums(like this one) is still up. Come on, how can people say you're the king of criticism ? You spent time writing something to learn people to be more civilized.

About hacking, I really apreciate the fact you guys wrote lot of tutorials (some of them may have taken much time) it's helping me a lot ; started a lot of projects (in teams,groups, whatever.) etc... For those who are starting with ROM Hacking now (me including), if you want to be good at something, take your time, only time will do itself, all you gotta do is show up. Just keep laying down, waking up, prepare yourself for what you're doing or trying to do. If you can't get it, and you don't have any help. What you need is a retry, a second chance, just try and retry, retry, retry. Never give up. ;) Imagine if Luther K. gave up ? ****, man, you gonna blow it!
    Learn and visualize what you try to do. And do the time homeboy, don't let the time do you.
    (Sorry for being emotive in this paragraph, it was a realy gay speech, I admit)

Great job, 非常に高いレベ . Really apreciate.

Sorry for my english, it's really far from good.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    A quality thread .Seth. :D

I feel that newcomers should indeed Be Bold but that they should also think, search and research before they ask. That being said, I've never really been a fan of this section of the forum because I don't really get into ROM hacks that much...a part of me is quite loyal to the canon games of the series, but I do see some really good ideas here from time to time, when I do take the time to look around.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back