• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too Many Pokemon?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
  • Do you think there are too many Pokemon being introduced?

Currently, there are 493 Pokemon in the Pokemon World. Of them, 32 are "legendaries", not including pseudo-legendaries such as Dragonite and Garchomp.

As a Pokemon fan, I've memorized the Kanto&Johto-league Pokemon. I know some of the Hoenn Pokemon, and I know the most common Sinnoh Pokemon.

Now, Generation V is planning on introducing more Pokemon to the bunch. Who else shares the opinion that new Pokemon =\= new content, and Nintendo should become more creative with perhaps the storyline or features, rather than just tossing new Pokemon and dubbing it an "entirely new game"? Face it, Nintendo, you're milking the cow dry and it's obvious that someone's seeing $.$ Adding new Pokemon isn't improving the game; it may add variety, but too much becomes abuse, and ideas became less and less creative (just look at Bidoof). It's the same game, just with new sprites and altered move-sets, along with new names, new towns, and new trainers. The storyline and plot, however, are the same, and that's what counts in a novel / movie / game / everything creative. There's always a crappy team you vanquish at the end, you always collect badges, you have a rival you need to confront, and then there's the league. New / improved features please?

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
  • You think? Theres 5th gen coming out in Autumn this year, only for Japan though.
    So we don't have to start rembering names and evolutions for the moment!

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • I've memorized Johto, Kanto, and most of Hoenn.
    I hope Gen V won't be bringing more stupid evolutions and useless Pokemon.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I think they should add a little less new pokemon then usual in the 5th gen. New starters, new legendaries (I only want to see 3 new legends, one for black, one for white, and one for the 3rd installment), and maybe like... 40 new wild pokemon. We don't really need to many new pokemon, I'm quite happy with the pokemon we have. I have a good feeling that Black/White is going to be good, and more mature and fun. Hopefully I won't be dissapointed

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm just going to tl;dr here so... it may be somewhat relative. Pokémon has lost the nostalgia it once had for the older fans, those who are coming into adulthood, end of teenage years, etc. Pearl/Diamond/Platinum was really the cutoff in a way between two generations, it was aimed at the more well, digital world (not Digimon.) Life was different when many of us were younger and the graphics and type of games just suited us. Now the games could do a Mario type thing and continue on forever, but I don't see that happening. There's only so much you can do and items are repeating each other. "Luck Incense" and "Amulet Coin" play the same role as far as items go. There are many other examples but those are the first ones I thought of. The whole series is running out of creativity. It was only good up to a point, which was really Hoenn. I mean, the Sinnoh Pokémon just look... weird. A lot of them, that is. Though in a way, that's kinda how the world is. To me now, I see life a lot differently to when I was a kid but that's probably because the world WAS different. The children growing up now don't get to experience what we've experienced, that is... I dunno, the world before technology became everything. Game Boy's and such, I dunno... I just think that there's nothing else Pokémon can really do now. For the ones who've played it since R/B/Y, I really don't know what's keeping them going. Now that HG/SS has been done, there's really no connection to the "old" Pokémon ways, besides having gym leaders/e4's in different regions, totally original. It's a lot like... I guess older people as in, old... can't have that much of a connection with their grandchildren in a way because times have changed. For those who don't know any different and who are only just beginning to get into Pokémon... it's like they just accept it. Though then again, you KNOW when you've missed good things. Such as like on PC, people mention PC's past before me and I can realise it's good, but I've missed out on it. Those children must be aware of the past of Pokémon and to really enjoy it... would need to go back, play every game and just understand what drew to rest of us to it and realise that it's just not the same. I dunno, I just didn't find an attachment to Sinnoh and now the fact that HG ruined the nostalgia that I once had regarding Gold/Crystal, I just know that the new generation is going to be the same. The Pokémon, especially too. I just can't associate with them anymore. Simplistic designs are best and really, that's kind of what the past had, just improved upon. I know I sound like this is based purely on nostalgia but really, Pokémon is nothing to me now and I won't bother remembering any of the generation 5 Pokémon unless it's drilled into me or something.

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
  • Well, one thing I know for sure, we have way too many legendaries. Seriously, in Gen V we only need the trio and maybe one or two more. That's it. We already have an almighty ruler in Arceus anyway.

I hope B/W brings some simply designed Pokemon. It's in the name though, since Black and White are simple anyway. o0

Diamond and Pearl had too many complicated/ugly/strange specimens. I hope I don't see any more of that.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • No, not at all.

I still enjoy my pokemon games, no matter how many pokemon are in them.

i'm pretty pissed at emerald for having only 384 pokemon, I NEED TO CLONE MOAR

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • To be honest, what does it matter? I haven't gone after collecting every pokemon since my original Yellow version. Ever since then, I've been satisfied just catching whatever pokemon I need for my ingame team, and possibly a few novelty pokemon here and there to build a competitive team out of.

More pokemon? I'll find my favorites and train them while ignoring the rest. XD

More legendaries that a forcibly tied to the game's plot? I'll just kill them off like I did with Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Heatran. It's not like I need them anyways. >_>

The only thing about the fifth gen that I'm holding high expectations for is the geography of the new region. I did not like Sinnoh. It was too big and too confusing to navigate, and the placement of the last three gyms were totally unintuitive. Hoenn, while still pretty big, at least was fairly linear and intuitive as to where you needed to go.

Pokemon games have never been story-heavy, so I don't care what they do as long as it doesn't come off as awkwardly as Galactic's "we're gonna destroy the world with our super pokeymanz that you can defeat easily" plotline.

WiiMann

I gots Heart Gold!! ^_^
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    Naw, they're jsut keeping people playing, cause once you do catch em' all why play? Thats why i quit till Diamond an pearl came out :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2010
    Agreed, too many pokemon...
    I can only remember the first 150 xD
    But I also agree that it's to keep people playing.
    Omg, I don't even know what bidoof is...
    I'm a Gen 1 v.v

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Although I am partially against the addition of new Pokemon, its interesting at the same time to see something fresh. Besides, the memorization of names is hella easy for me.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    More Pokémon! More, more, more, more, MORE!! We need thousands of Pokémon! For the thousands of animals we have in the real world, there should be thousands in the Pokémon world. In the whole world, I doubt there'd only be 493 species. More variety, please! I don't think that should take the place of new features and stuff, but still.

And about legendaries… I hate them! For Generation V, just give us a single trio, and three poster Pokémon for the two versions, and the third which we all know will follow. That's all we need.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Personally, I don't think any legendaries should be introduced. They should make a storyline not centering around a legendary Pokemon, or one that centers around a pre-existing legendary. We already have a Time Traveler, a Space Creator, the Elemental Birds / Dogs, the Weather Beasts, a Sea Prince, a Creator of Time and another Creator of Space, whatever Arceus and Uxie / Mesprit / that other thing is supposed to represent...

There's not much more left :s Unless they start doing alien Pokemon, but that's Deoxys really, unless they want to focus on planets? I can see it now:

Marskit - the Fire Legendary
    Neptan - the Ice Legendary
    Earthra - the Flying Legendary

o0 I guess?

Japas

Monotype'n it.
    Years
  • Well, one thing I know for sure, we have way too many legendaries. Seriously, in Gen V we only need the trio and maybe one or two more. That's it. We already have an almighty ruler in Arceus anyway.

I hope B/W brings some simply designed Pokemon. It's in the name though, since Black and White are simple anyway. o0

Diamond and Pearl had too many complicated/ugly/strange specimens. I hope I don't see any more of that.

By complicated/ugly/strange, are you at all referring to the numerous awkward final evolutions that were added into the fourth gen, such as Yanmega, Magmorter, Lickilicki, ect? Ugh, I though those looked horrible.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Personally, I don't think any legendaries should be introduced. They should make a storyline not centering around a legendary Pokemon, or one that centers around a pre-existing legendary. We already have a Time Traveler, a Space Creator, the Elemental Birds / Dogs, the Weather Beasts, a Sea Prince, a Creator of Time and another Creator of Space, whatever Arceus and Uxie / Mesprit / that other thing is supposed to represent...

There's not much more left :s Unless they start doing alien Pokemon, but that's Deoxys really, unless they want to focus on planets? I can see it now:

Marskit - the Fire Legendary
    Neptan - the Ice Legendary
    Earthra - the Flying Legendary

o0 I guess?
    I think the two poster legendary Pokemon of Gen V will represent the two halves to the soul. Light and darkness.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Nintendo never were original. At the time there was nothing novel about catching monsters for fighting nor making an overweight plumber jump on suspended platforms. By the way, Nintendo didn't create Pokemon, which further exaggerates their lack of imagination.

New Pokemon are a simple affair, per example — Rattata, Sentret and Bidoof are all the same thing: annoying generic field mouse that bites people's ankles, so why not just have Rattata? That's not what bothers me though. What bothers me is the fact that the series still clings onto its "gotta catch 'em all!" tagline which was initially presented as ultimate completion of the game but by now is nothing but an entirely unreasonable demand with little to no reward incoming from the endeavour.

They also have the obnoxiousness to blatantly remake their older games for the sake of profit; sure, maybe someone in the background is as happy about the nostalgia effect as we are, but for the most full part the probable minimum of three corporate entities surrounding the Pokemon franchise are there for money, stock, interest, whatever. Could I dare to call it an immoral exploitation of persons' emotions (chiefly: nostalgia)? I think I will.

There's something else too. Natures, STAB, effort values...? What is– actually, I don't want to know; quite simply, why can't a battle's outcome be settled simply by type and level as in Gen.1? In any case, something prevalent throughout all Pokemon games is that most duels at least on higher levels can be settled in far too few turns — Pokemon need more durability. Speaking of fast deaths, does anyone remember the 1-hit-KO moves? Or even know they exist? Horn Drill, Shear Cold, Fissure, Gullotine; only four! Seriously, these should be a lot more prevalent, then maybe they'd have a chance of being a considerable threat.

Back