• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too much originality

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    I don't think there's nothing wrong with having evil organizations that don't do the same thing that Team Rocket does. Otherwise wouldn't it be bland if they all did that?

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    As long as they don't make their own regions, Pokemons, Gym Leaders and dex holder's names,

It's still not THAT original (or incongruent) for me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think it's too original at all. It's based on the games and doesn't care at all about what way the anime goes, and that's something I like. That this manga doesn't even follow the game storylines, but creates a Pokémon world of its own, that's something I admire.

I don't like that it begun to take too much unrealistic inspiration from the games in the Emerald arc though, like with PowerPoints and held items... it was a bit too much ._. I like the weird non-game-like merging of the three birds, the Mask of Ice storyline and Yellow arc much better then.

The only thing thats turning me off is the character designs.

Character designs? Apart from Yellows strange clothing (purple boots? tehe) and the very existence of Emerald, they pretty much look like they do in the games. But with a nice touch that makes them feel more alive and personal :D I like their designs.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Too much originality, I agree. But it's what attracts me. Every character in the manga is very different from each other, unlike May and Dawn who just want to conquer every Pokemon Contest.

I love the fact that Sapphire focuses on Gyms, while Ruby goes for Contest, and neither Diamond and Pearl go for Gyms and Contest, while Lady Berlitz conquer both!

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    To answer the OP's question directly, no.

They actually follow the basic essence of the games pretty closely - more closely than the anime, it seems to me. Obviously they can't follow it exactly, otherwise each new generation would have the same exact plot - and I can almost guarantee you that reading the whole gym-to-gym, beat Elite Four and take down evil team four times in a row routine would not be nearly as entertaining as playing it through. You also have to keep in mind that they're catering to an audience that has mostly already played the games, so they have to give the story their own interpretation to keep it fresh. I actually like how they incorporate familiar motifs and necessary plot points from the games in such a way that we can't predict exactly what will happen next, but we nod and smile every time we see something we recognize.

And as an example of an "original" twist that worked, the battling is much more entertaining to watch in Special than it is in the anime, where they essentially copied over the turn-by-turn format of the games.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
    Character designs? Apart from Yellows strange clothing (purple boots? tehe) and the very existence of Emerald, they pretty much look like they do in the games. But with a nice touch that makes them feel more alive and personal :D I like their designs.

I guess it's their facial designs. I kinda like the ones from the tv show. Maybe it requires some adjusting to but gold looks like a villain from Bleach....

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I get what you're saying, but I think that's why they have the Manga and then the Anime. Manga is definently better in my opinion, simply because it seems like a maturer pokemon themed world than the anime. The anime itself and the game are, I suppose, the 'true storyline' of pokemon. However, if it wasn't for that originality of the manga, would you have read it? I know I wouldn't have. :)

No no no no NO!!!

The Anime is NOT Canon!!!

The Manga is just as "Canon" as the Anime.

The only "True" canon is the VIDEO GAMES, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ORIGINAL MEDIUM.

I get SICK of people constantly wanting the Orange Islands, Whirl Cup, Anime-Style Contests, ect. in the Videogames. Not to mention calling Red on Mount Silver "Ash" >:O

The Anime is loosely based on the Videogames, not the other way around.

At least the Manga doesn't make up a million towns and locations each region, or even regions themselves(The Orange Islands exist soley as a filler space between the Kanto and Johto Sagas). And who can forgoet the stupid choice to move all the Battle Frontier facilities to Kanto?

I'm at a breaking point here.

WHY do people talk about the Anime like it has just as much credibility as the games?!?

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
    Its the only thing that has an actual story, no matter how crappy it is.

Plus, not everyone has access to the manga like the cartoon. (Anime is NOT cartoon in japanese FYI)

Years
    No, I think the manga shows us that the pokemon universe can handle some more serious and mature content, and I love it.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    No no no no NO!!!

The Anime is NOT Canon!!!

The Manga is just as "Canon" as the Anime.

The only "True" canon is the VIDEO GAMES, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ORIGINAL MEDIUM.

I get SICK of people constantly wanting the Orange Islands, Whirl Cup, Anime-Style Contests, ect. in the Videogames. Not to mention calling Red on Mount Silver "Ash" >:O

The Anime is loosely based on the Videogames, not the other way around.

At least the Manga doesn't make up a million towns and locations each region, or even regions themselves(The Orange Islands exist soley as a filler space between the Kanto and Johto Sagas). And who can forgoet the stupid choice to move all the Battle Frontier facilities to Kanto?

I'm at a breaking point here.

WHY do people talk about the Anime like it has just as much credibility as the games?!?
    Thank you! People don't seem to get that. While both the manga and the anime have many similarities to the games, they are, in fact NOT THE SAME! People also need to realize that whenever they quote, who was it Tajiri I think, when he said something along the lines of the manga being the closest to the world he imagined, that does NOT mean that it is exactly how he wanted it. It also does not mean that the randomly made up characters and the corruption in the original ones were not part of his plan either. The boundaries in the games that are erased in the manga is what I interpret his meaning of "most resembles the world [he] envisioned," or however that quote went.

Years
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as too much originality.

Anyway. Pokemon Special is based on the games, only the manga gives it a more in-depth plot. And there's the violence- its more realistic. And after all, there's more to it than "Imagetall8badgesandfightanevilteamalongthewayandsomehowinvolvealegenderypokemon". Sure that's somewhat what PokeSpecial does, but it gives it some...meat to the bones, if you will.

...Did that make any sense? :/

Clover Cat

Child of Gold and Crystal
    Years
    Too much originality?? I don't understand what you're trying to say. If it's originality that's the problem, that probably means that anything that is or has been based on pokemon previously is wrong. And it's not. Besides, Pokespecial is awesome because of it's originality, not because it's authors wanted to recreate the Pokemon games and anime as a manga. Do you really want every character to have the same kind of personality? Nah. I like Pokespecial because of it's amazing twists. Plot twists FTW!

And don't worry, RedJ, you made perfect sense ^^.

Back