• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (Reloaded) (Version 6.8C Released)

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2021
    Just created this account to let you know of a bug that cuts the music out when moving the selection arrow in any menu. This bug happened during the fight against Falkner and continues after in and out of battle and reloading doesn't fix the issue. I've been using mGBA via RetroArch to play this. I'll add my save if it helps.

Attachments

• Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (Reloaded) v6.0.zip
      15.1 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • There was a streamer who goes by AspreyFM on Twitch who played through the entire game, from the beginning to beating Red and wandering into Lotus Land.

His streams helped me find errors and problems with the game, and energized me to continue on this to at least attempt to make it a little better. So, I thank him immensely for what he has done. Those streams were rather valuable in allowing me to see what the game looked like from a non-dev perspective.

I will leave a link to the videos of the streams he did for this hack in the spoiler below. Keep in mind that as of the posting of this message, the final part has not been uploaded yet. It should be there in a couple days.

I have also started on making a training building in Goldenrod City. This will hopefully alleviate the grind near endgame a little bit more than the areas I designed would. After this, I will likely be working on the final dungeon of 6.X, so that'll be fun.

Also, as a request... Cinfest, can you change the name of the doc to the most recent version, if possible? It's a small thing, perhaps, but considering the water route changes I did in 6.0, it would be nice to not confuse people if they are playing an earlier version. If not, then that's fine, but still.

Just created this account to let you know of a bug that cuts the music out when moving the selection arrow in any menu. This bug happened during the fight against Falkner and continues after in and out of battle and reloading doesn't fix the issue. I've been using mGBA via RetroArch to play this. I'll add my save if it helps.

I've been trying to find out how this bug works for a long time, and I still don't know what the cause of it is. I'm sorry. If it makes you feel better, it usually does come back by the time you reach Azalea Town.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2020
    Hey there, also a new account here to report a few issues I've noticed in my recent playthrough.

1. I can't find the EXP share where I believe it's supposed to be located. I checked the building east of Fuschia City with the Aide upstairs, and he gave me the VS. Seeker instead. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but if it is, then that's on me for not doing enough research.

2. I've just gotten into Johto and I found myself stuck in an endless loop of battling a female trainer in the overworld who appears in battle as Red who has no Pokemon and throws out a question mark. After one turn, the battle ends with me getting 1 exp, about 3500 bucks, and then it just starts all over again. I didn't seem to be able to get out of this loop, so I had to load back to a previous save. I'm not sure what other people did to get further into Johto or what might have caused this, but as of right now it's kind of halted any progress for me.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
  • Hey there, also a new account here to report a few issues I've noticed in my recent playthrough.

1. I can't find the EXP share where I believe it's supposed to be located. I checked the building east of Fuschia City with the Aide upstairs, and he gave me the VS. Seeker instead. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but if it is, then that's on me for not doing enough research.

2. I've just gotten into Johto and I found myself stuck in an endless loop of battling a female trainer in the overworld who appears in battle as Red who has no Pokemon and throws out a question mark. After one turn, the battle ends with me getting 1 exp, about 3500 bucks, and then it just starts all over again. I didn't seem to be able to get out of this loop, so I had to load back to a previous save. I'm not sure what other people did to get further into Johto or what might have caused this, but as of right now it's kind of halted any progress for me.

EXP share should be in Vermillion City in the pokemon center.

Fixed. Somehow I forgot to change something back in a script. Another trainer was also affected by this. New download link in the main post.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Howdy! Created this account just to let you know that I really appreciate all the work you've done for this game. However, if I may offer one constructive complaint, why are the only Shinto/Faith-type moves a fully-evolved Suwako can learn Decision and Calm Mind? Why not Extrasensory or Silver Wind? Having her strongest Shinto-type STAB move be 60 Base Power...it really rubs me the wrong way. By any chance would you be able to give her something extra? Because as a person who loves Suwako, she really deserves better than this. DSuwako learns both Extrasensory and Silver Wind, not sure why the normal Suwako can't either.

EDIT: In that same general vein of thought, Helper-Eirin (despite being Water-type) doesn't learn Surf, which I feel holds her back strongly. It's an essential HM for the main game, but since Helper-Eirin doesn't have access to it, it's essentially better to go with another Water-type that does. I don't think that's all that fair, but that might just be me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Quick Update: I was just watching Asprey's playthrough of the game, and apparently I was mistaken; Suwako does learn Extrasensory. Apparently, both of the sources I was using (Shoddy2 & the Touhou Wiki) aren't entirely correct when it comes to this sort of thing, so I apologize for that. The v6.0 Touhoudex on Google Sheets does list that as an actual move, thankfully. I still think Helper Eirin should learn Surf, though; a special-attacking Water-type should always learn that move or it's not really worth using the mon. Your only other options at that point are using a non-Water type with Surf (like Sanae, who is also weak to Reason) or ditching good type coverage and putting another Water-type on your team... =w='

However, there are some oddities I have noticed thus far when playing. Here are some of them:

* The trainer that faces you just as you enter the Johto Region rematches you infinitely if you keep going in and out of the entrance.
    * Some of the items in Johto seem to respawn if you go into a new area and back to it.
    * I feel the trainers in the Sevii Islands could use marginally higher levels, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, and the Elite Four nerf felt pretty good! I recently went through it, and yeah, it's far less demanding than before. Still a good challenge, but nothing that would unfairly kick your teeth in. I remember playing this game a few months ago, and I had to grind to about Level 60 to beat it. This time, my entire team was Lv.57 and I had a pretty clean run through it.

Again, great job with the work so far, my dude! I'll let you know if I find anything else that's strange or out of place. Also sorry for the double-post, if that's a problem.

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Years
  • Quick Update: I was just watching Asprey's playthrough of the game, and apparently I was mistaken; Suwako does learn Extrasensory. Apparently, both of the sources I was using (Shoddy2 & the Touhou Wiki) aren't entirely correct when it comes to this sort of thing, so I apologize for that. The v6.0 Touhoudex on Google Sheets does list that as an actual move, thankfully. I still think Helper Eirin should learn Surf, though; a special-attacking Water-type should always learn that move or it's not really worth using the mon. Your only other options at that point are using a non-Water type with Surf (like Sanae, who is also weak to Reason) or ditching good type coverage and putting another Water-type on your team... =w='

However, there are some oddities I have noticed thus far when playing. Here are some of them:

* The trainer that faces you just as you enter the Johto Region rematches you infinitely if you keep going in and out of the entrance.
    * Some of the items in Johto seem to respawn if you go into a new area and back to it.
    * I feel the trainers in the Sevii Islands could use marginally higher levels, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, and the Elite Four nerf felt pretty good! I recently went through it, and yeah, it's far less demanding than before. Still a good challenge, but nothing that would unfairly kick your teeth in. I remember playing this game a few months ago, and I had to grind to about Level 60 to beat it. This time, my entire team was Lv.57 and I had a pretty clean run through it.

Again, great job with the work so far, my dude! I'll let you know if I find anything else that's strange or out of place. Also sorry for the double-post, if that's a problem.

In terms of mon balance, I did not go into this project with the thought of rebalancing the mons. I wanted to mostly keep them compatible with generic 1.8 touhoumon, with the TD mons as exceptions. Neotornado, the person who worked with me on this, wanted to do a lot of mon changes. If I do version 7.0, then maybe we'll look into rebalancing mons if he's still willing to.

The trainer thing is fixed now, but I'm not going to post that fix yet. Feel free to use her to grind until 6.1 comes out when I have a late game training facility ready. Might re-rebalance endgame stuff at that time if it's there, but that won't be too bad.

The item thing I have no idea what's causing it, nor do I know the entirety of what actually comes back, so this might or might not end up getting fixed. As far as I know, it's always been the case.

Sevii Island trainers are that low because I wanted there to be something of a buffer between the league and Johto. But who knows, I might touch them up for 7.0. Probably not, but maybe.

And I'm glad that your experience was a bit more in line with what I originally expected from the Elite 4, at least.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Awesome to hear it all! Few devs would still be working on a game for this long, I really do appreciate it as a fan.

Also, somehow I completely forgot to mention this earlier. There exists a visual glitch I found while doing Mt. Moon, which should show in the image below (assuming I didn't mess anything up).

https://imgur.com/gallery/PydfYmO

It doesn't particularly do anything, but it certainly shouldn't be there and looks odd (if somewhat funny). By any chance would you know how to fix this?

(PS: Obligatory #SurfForHelperEirin, casually starting a movement here. ^^)

EDIT: Another oddity, whenever you try to fly anywhere in the Johto Region, you get a map of Four and Five island for some reason. As seen here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q7rZ4Mv

EDIT #2: I got a really bad game crash in this area of Goldenrod City. I read the sign below (which had a bunch of jargon text) and when I went up a bit, the entire thing froze...Thankfully, I saved just before this so I barely lost any progress at all, but this should absolutely be fixed. You can see the area here: https://imgur.com/a/U5qCWK7

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Years
  • Awesome to hear it all! Few devs would still be working on a game for this long, I really do appreciate it as a fan.

Also, somehow I completely forgot to mention this earlier. There exists a visual glitch I found while doing Mt. Moon, which should show in the image below (assuming I didn't mess anything up).

https://imgur.com/gallery/PydfYmO

It doesn't particularly do anything, but it certainly shouldn't be there and looks odd (if somewhat funny). By any chance would you know how to fix this?

(PS: Obligatory #SurfForHelperEirin, casually starting a movement here. ^^)

EDIT: Another oddity, whenever you try to fly anywhere in the Johto Region, you get a map of Four and Five island for some reason. As seen here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q7rZ4Mv

EDIT #2: I got a really bad game crash in this area of Goldenrod City. I read the sign below (which had a bunch of jargon text) and when I went up a bit, the entire thing froze...Thankfully, I saved just before this so I barely lost any progress at all, but this should absolutely be fixed. You can see the area here: https://imgur.com/a/U5qCWK7

Hold up, WHAT. I thought I didn't release this one...

Okay, as a note, do not interact with the training facility currently. It is not finished.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Understood!

Additionally, I know you've mentioned a few times that there's a major glitch which can brick your save file in Johto. I was wondering if you could elaborate upon that? I don't want to accidentally break anything. Currently, I just beat Jasmine and got my sixth badge; pretty deep into Johto but not at the end or anything yet. Is there anything I should know before proceeding further?

Side Thought: A while back you put some of your thoughts for future ideas into a spoiler. I'm gonna have to second you on that idea you had about potentially expanding the Sevii Islands; I'm actually a huge fan of them myself! I don't know exactly what it is, but I find them a very relaxing, almost meditative-like experience that adds a lot to the game despite how short it can be. I like the characters, the settings, the Team Rocket dungeon; it's small scale overall but I can't help but love it. With that being said, I feel like there is a lot that can still be done with them and would love to see them expanded upon more than anything. We would love to see more of them, my guy!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2020
    Yo, I think I found a bug. I finished the tower in Lavender town and went to Saffron city, but the Rocket dude is still blocking the front of Silph Co, so I can't advance. Playing on VBA (non-mobile) if that helps.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2020
    Oh, I believe in the original game you could do Sabrina and Koga in any order? I looked in this thread and didn't see anything about that being changed. Anyway, sorry about the false report then.

Cinfest

LUNATIC
    Years
  • Apparently, both of the sources I was using (Shoddy2 & the Touhou Wiki) aren't entirely correct when it comes to this sort of thing, so I apologize for that. The v6.0 Touhoudex on Google Sheets does list that as an actual move, thankfully.

This is why the Touhoudex sheet was created in the first place. TPPE Reloaded deviates from the original TPPE in quite a lot of ways, and the Touhou Wiki data is still based on the original. Nice to see that my project continues to be relevant ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Howdy devs! Just a few quick suggestions I thought of when playing the game.

For one, I was wondering if you could make Sendai available pre-Elite Four? The way the game is designed currently, you'll basically never be able to use her on an actual team because of just how late into the post-game you find her. I'd also prefer it if Kasen were obtainable earlier as well; deep into Johto and I've never come across her...It's a real shame too because both Boneka are incredible physical attackers, something I find Touhoumon really needs more of in general.

Additionally, if it's not asking too much and your team isn't opposed to altering base stats, I strongly think that Defense Patchouli needs better stat distribution. They are as follows:

Earth/Wind Type: 35 HP / 10 ATT / 200 DEF / 70 SpA / 200 SpD / 5 SPE = 520 Base Stat Total

Because of how much of her stat allocation is just defense, the rest of her stats suffer quite heavily. With Onix-tier HP, barely enough Special Attack to do anything, and nonexistant Speed, she is very unfun to use in a playthrough. With this in mind and keeping my version as close to the original intention of the Boneka as possible, here's how I would reallocate her stats:

80 HP / 10 ATT / 140 DEF / 100 SpA / 140 SpD / 50 SPE = 520 Base Stat Total

These base stats convey the exact same playstyle as her original stat distribution, but makes her more useable (and thus, fun to fight with) in the process. It's Patchouli, so despite being her Defense form the HP stat is still nothing crazy; a large buff was provided to her health to make up for the reduced defenses. Additionally, while her Special Attack is a great deal higher, it's still by far the lowest across her three forms. This way, D-Patchy can actually be an offensive threat without relying on Defense and Special Defense alone. Finally, 5 Speed was embarassingly low so that has seen a significant buff as well, though she is still very slow. Still better than getting outsped by wild Boneka 24/7, I guess!

Here's another possible stat distribution to make Defense Patchouli as fair and balanced as possible while still being good and fun to use. Upon learning that D-Patchy gets Reflect, I feel this would be the perfect stat distribution for her:

80 HP / 30 ATT / 90 DEF / 105 SpA / 150 SpD / 65 SPE = 520 Base Stat Total

Compared to the previous iteration I suggested, she has far less Defense but carefully buffed Speed and Special Attack/Defense. The higher Attack is to ensure she doesn't become overpowered, as it obviously isn't fair to optimize stats too ridiculously. Compared to Earth/Water-type Technician Toyohime (another favorite of mine), she has lower HP and Special Attack, but much better Special Defense to compensate. This is how I would view Defense Patchouli if I were allowed to take some additional creative liberties, as it keeps Patchy's playstyle in mind while still offering Defense worthy of a Defense form.

I always thought D-Patchy could work theoretically. Earth/Wind is an extremely unique type, after all, and a bulky special attacker could be extremely fun to use. But the way her stats are allocated right now leaves a lot to be desired. So many of her stats are poured into Defense and Special Defense, and as a result she feels more like a one-trick pony than a Boneka that is actually decent and fun to use. If any Boneka had to be buffed or reworked a bit in this game, I'd say it's Defense Patchouli. Here's hoping she sees some love in the future!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Howdy again devs! Hopefully I'm not suggesting too much or anything, but bouncing off of my last post, for future reference I think something should be done about one of Pokemon's biggest weaknesses in the early games: HMs. As much as I appreciate how much better they are in this game, I still find them rather annoying.

To quote a Redditor directly, they clog up your Pokemon's moveslots for the moves needed to navigate the region. Needing to devote a few slots of your team to "HM slaves" to avoid compromising your main battlers' strength sort of deprives the freedom of assembling an in-game team. Instances like needing Cut for Surge, Waterfall for the Johto Region, Strength & Rock Smash for this and that, Flash for a few areas in the game...nothing feels worse than having a full team of six with great movesets only to realize that you need an HM somewhere.

It also hurts certain mons a lot; as an example, Hatate is a Flying-type special attacker. But if she's your Flying-type, you would obviously want to give her Fly. Problem is, Hatate has terrible physical attack and it wouldn't be useful for her moveset at all. Another great example is Attack Nitori, a Water-type physical attacker. Obviously, since she's a Water-type, you would want to give her Surf; problem is, she's a physical attacker and thus Surf would be a terrible move for her. HMs restrict so many Boneka that should be much better than they actually are, and this is the big reason why.

These are some ideas which I feel would make the experience more palletable:

In Battle

* Buff Flash from 65 Base Power w/90% Accuracy to 70 Base Power and 100% Accuracy. Keep in mind that in Mt. Moon, way earlier in the game just after beating Brock, you obtain the Decision TM, which has 60 Base Power and perfect accuracy. Thus, despite Flash being better than it was in Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen for sure, it's still pretty weak and has little use at that point into the game.

* Here's a hot take on Rock Smash: Nerf the Base Power to 40 and make it hit twice. This would make it an excellent attacking move, though for balancing reasons I'd also lower the chance of a Defense drop from 50% down to 30%.

* Strength should get the tiniest attack buff so it's more worth using than other incredibly strong Dream-type attacks, such as Energy Ball, Hi Jump Kick, Drain Punch, Jump Kick, and Submission; 85 or 90 Base Power would be perfect (up from 80).

* Cut is actually fine; the moves that never fail to hit shouldn't really be changed.

* Soar is pretty much an instant Fly, which makes it better. When using Fly, you can hit hit by things like Thunder or wittled down by Poison/Leech Seed/etc. I'd recommend a marginal attack boost to 95 Base Power (up from 90).

* Considering how Waterfall is one of three Water-type Physical attacks (the others being Aqua Jet and Splashing), as well as how late into the game you get it, I feel Waterfall could use a minor Base Power increase - 85 or 90 Base Power in particular (up from 80) would be really nice.

Out of Battle

* Here's the big one: Make it so that solely by having the HM and corresponding badge that allows you to do so, you can use any HMs outside of battle. The big reason why nobody likes HMs is because they force you to have specific moves on specific Pokemon/Boneka when you don't want them to. Therefore, by allowing players to use HMs freely without needing to teach them to any of your team, all those instances of going back to the Pokemon Center, teaching a throwaway mon an HM, going back to where you need to be, and using the HM where you need to just to move on or get an item are entirely gone. Pokemon Another World Remix was designed with this in mind and it was all the better for it.

Hoping that HMs won't be nearly as obtrusive as they are right now; they've always been my one weak area with FireRed/LeafGreen and I would love to see them tweaked a bit so that they don't break the pace of the game anymore. Keep up the great work devs! I'll try and not overwhelm the thread with suggestions, haha.

EDIT: Found some glitched text once you get into Mt. Silver here: https://imgur.com/a/H3W8jgu

Also, just finished the game to 100% completion, with Red beaten and everything! Overall, it was quite a positive experience, I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this one. There's quite a lot of things that can still be cleaned up (some odd tile collision, the infamous audio errors from AspreyFM's streams, some Water-types not learning Surf, HMs are still annoying, and Johto lacks significant polish right now, to name just a few things), but otherwise, I see quite a lot of potential that can still be explored. I am very excited for future updates, devs! Really loving the work done so far. ^^

PS: If any of you have a Discord, I'd love to set up a voice chat sometime because there's so much more I'd like to say about the game! However, I don't want to flood these forums with my own comments and observations, so it would be nice if any of you were willing to get in contact with me.

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Years
  • This might be a bit of an odd question, but what about Johto do you believe lacks polish? I do agree on that front, but having more details would be nice.

If you're worried about the thread being clogged, then PM me, but I don't think that's any particular problem. I'd rather get feedback than anything else.

Also the audio errors are difficult to work with simply due to the fact that I have no idea what's causing them. I'm going to try to fix the respawning items when I see them, though for obvious reasons that might be a little difficult.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    That's a relief; I'm trying not to post too much but I do have lots to say. =w=

I guess Johto doesn't feel all there yet, if that makes sense. Between the Training Facility being incomplete (as of now), the grammatical errors/jargon text being significantly more prominent, not being able to fly anywhere since the game thinks you're constantly on Four/Five Island (this one in particular really bugs me), HMs being kind of annoying as ever (see post above), stuff like that. Most of the core experience of Johto is fine; the Gym Leaders are fun to fight, I enjoy the rival battles, Team Rocket's dungeons are fine, and the pacing isn't wack or anything; there's just some minor areas where it just feels less polished than Kanto, currently.

Additionally, on a quick side note, I'm with AspreyFM on this one; Reisen should have a significantly better movepool than she does right now. A lot of the moves she learns (Psyshot, Mana Burst, etc) are Reason-type for some reason, and thus she lacks STAB options beyond Mirror Shot for an overwhelming majority of the game. In addition, her other forms aren't nearly as varied and pronounced as Sanae's or Alice's; Sanae can be a bulky set-up sweeper, a special sweeper, a fast support mon, can learn Surf/Giga Drain/Calm Mind/Thunder/etc, and is overall a better choice than Reisen. Same goes for Alice; she can be a bulky special attacker, set-up sweeper, special sweeper, gets Swords Dance, Spikes, the elemental punches, etc. Reisen only has a few options; special sweeper, set-up sweeper, and special wall, neither of which have nearly as many options. Strongly hoping she gets buffed/reworked a bit.

That's it for now! Glad to see you're still active after all these years; not many devs can stay with a game for that long.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
  • Well, I'll be attempting to fix the text if I can find it, and one of the two big things of 6.1 is supposed to be that facility.

As much as I'd like to, I can't fix the flight. I can't even really make a new world map, truth be told, as much as I'd like to. If anyone can, I'd like to discuss fixing this because it's been one of the biggest pains to me. And unfortunately, HMs are going to remain as they are, simply because I'd rather not go in on messing with moves.

And honestly, about changing the mons. I want to keep them as regular 1.8 for the most part, with the TD mons being the exceptions due to them not being 'official'. Though who knows, maybe I'll talk to Neo about doing some changes. Maybe. Don't get your hopes up, but I might. They would be according to his whim, however, so you might or might not get what you want out of them.

Back