• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Training Pokemon

Trace1992

Captain of Squad 12
    Years
    OK so everytime i play pokemon i always get my first starter pokemon to like lvl 70 and my 2nd highest is like 30 and i always get stuck on a certain battle so i was wondering how to you guys get all of your pokemon to such high levels do you use the day care or what?

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Hmm... I dunno others... Generally, I'll use 3 Pokemon(and 4 sometimes, 5 rarely but never 6) through out the game... I don't use Daycare... I level up them in a balanced way... Let's say I have a Starly and a Piplup... The first Gym is Roark's Gym, Rock-type... Then I'll level up my Starly first til it evolve, when I arrived to Oreburgh then I'll level up Piplup.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    You have to use the Exp. Share item and keep rotating your pokemon a lot (meaning put one at the start of your team, and switch it as soon as the battle starts). And then once certain pokemon start to fall behind in their levels, focus on battling just with them for a while. That way you can keep all of your pokemon at the same high levels. Take advantage of the opportunities to re-battle old traders (through the calls in HG, and vs-seeker(?) in Diamond,etc.). That helps too.

I don't know this for sure but doesn't the daycare work like rare candies? (Leveling them up without making them stronger?) I only use the DC to breed or to finish filling up my pokedex (by raising them to the right levels, then rare-candying them so they evolve).

Years
    Use Exp. Share. Also train in places where your type is super effective against wild Pokemon. It's a very effective method of levelling up your Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    it depends how far u get. if u beat the elite four then just keep fighting them. but if u r at the beggining then i reccomend to catch starly, shinx and train them like crazy by just fighting trainers and battleing pokemon. i never used te day care unless i ned to breed pokemon and when u get a rare candy use right away.

currently:

iv completed the national pokedex on my diamond and im half way in my platinum all my pokemon are level 100 and i have none below that.

starter pokemon: piplup

Years
    it depends how far u get. if u beat the elite four then just keep fighting them. but if u r at the beggining then i reccomend to catch starly, shinx and train them like crazy by just fighting trainers and battleing pokemon. i never used te day care unless i ned to breed pokemon and when u get a rare candy use right away.

currently:

iv completed the national pokedex on my diamond and im half way in my platinum all my pokemon are level 100 and i have none below that.

starter pokemon: piplup

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=230409

?

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
    I had the same problem, then i came up with a solution that's worked for me every time. What I do is I pick 3 pokemon to train, all of which have different types (like for example in Platinum I did a Drifloon, my Turtwig, and a Shinx), and for every level my starter went up, I leveled the other two up 1 level.

Years
    I neverrrr use daycare, unless I have a magikarp or abra I want to evolve but don't feel like switching out or use exp share. They always delete good moves when they learn a new one -_-

I just shuffle my team around often. I try to train them as evenly as possible. For example if my pokemon are at lvl's 22, 25, 25, 27, 29, 30 I would put them in my party in that order- lowest lvl to highest. and train them that way, switching their order when they lvl up.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
    I neverrrr use daycare, unless I have a magikarp or abra I want to evolve but don't feel like switching out or use exp share. They always delete good moves when they learn a new one -_-

I just shuffle my team around often. I try to train them as evenly as possible. For example if my pokemon are at lvl's 22, 25, 25, 27, 29, 30 I would put them in my party in that order- lowest lvl to highest. and train them that way, switching their order when they lvl up.
    I do that now, but I try to keep my Pokemon as even leveled as possible.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I find the best thing to do is have a target level that all members of your team must meet before you face each Gym Leader. 20 before the first, 25 before the swecond and so on. Following this method you will have a full team of level 50+ Pokémon when you come to face the elite four, which should be more than enough to defeat them with little setback.

Chub 777

Golden User
    Years
    Only use the Daycare if you just had a Pokemon hatch. Otherwise, don't use it. If you have good stats, battle a Pokemon that's 1-3 levels higher that your one. If you battle a trainer and follow that, you get up to 2000-2500 EXP.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I just stop journeying at various points and do a fair amount of level grinding, keeping my Pokemon fairly close in level. Usually I level grind enough so my levels are roughly five higher than the upcoming Gym Leader's.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    I find the best thing to do is have a target level that all members of your team must meet before you face each Gym Leader. 20 before the first, 25 before the swecond and so on. Following this method you will have a full team of level 50+ Pokémon when you come to face the elite four, which should be more than enough to defeat them with little setback.

This is what I do. Except is could take a while if you set the bar high.

Years
    I do that too! Well, I try to haha but sometimes I get impatient and battle the gym leader anyway xD

Lunoon

Even through the wire.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    I just stop journeying at various points and do a fair amount of level grinding, keeping my Pokemon fairly close in level. Usually I level grind enough so my levels are roughly five higher than the upcoming Gym Leader's.

This. Most of the time though I would run through the game only having 4 or 5 main pokemon and a HM slave, so if one of my pokemon fall behind in levels, usually rebattling trainers or grinding on wild pokemon around it's level works.

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
    Well, I just try to use all my Pokemon whenever I have a battle. Like, whenever I get challenged to a Pokemon battle and I'm given the option to switch Pokemon, I always choose "yes". I try to make sure that my Pokemon's levels aren't far apart.

Back