• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Training

joehat

Yay
    Years
    I'm at the 7th gym now, and my team is around levels 37-41, which, judging from other posts, is pretty weak. I have a few training questions.

Am I the only person who finds using the VS Seeker a pain?
    Do you battle every wild Pokemon you encounter in the game?
    How much time do you typically spend going throughout the game?

I'd also like to know how many other people don't use legendaries? I don't even catch them, I usually defeat them and let them run off.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I caught a few legionaries but i cont stress them

As for the other questions.

yes
    no
    dont know

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    I'm at the 7th gym now, and my team is around levels 37-41, which, judging from other posts, is pretty weak. I have a few training questions.

I'd also like to know how many other people don't use legendaries? I don't even catch them, I usually defeat them and let them run off.

Nah, you're not the only guy. It's just a hassle to have to run/bike around in circles only to find that nobody in the area wants to battle. It does offer some good training opportunities though, so no matter how annoying it gets, we resort to using it anyway.

Yeah, I battle next to every Pokémon I see. That way I won't miss out on any experience points I could be getting. The only time I don't is when my Pokémon are in critical condition.

As for time, my hours have tallied up to 26 hours in times past, but a lot of that was comprised of doing sidequests to grab extra experience points and a special item or two.

I catch legendaries because somebody (usually younger kids) will become jealous of your legendary despite its sub-par move set and less-than-desirable stats, and they'll trade you ANYTHING for it. It's almost like bait, but it works! :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I pretty much take out as many wild Pokemon as I can. In areas where there's lots of trainers, I'll use the Vs. Seeker, but other times, it's not worth it.

I'll catch the legendaries, then they'll collect dust in a Box until a good deal comes along, either in the trade thread or on the GTS.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I love the vs seeker that is the only problem with RSE no Vs seeker

Yes i Battle every wild pokemon unless im going for a hard fight and the pokemon could posion paralyse or possible kill me

In game usually takes me about 50 hours but sometimes i do this thing were every gym leader i grow up 10 lvs so at the 8th gym my pokemon are at lv 80 but that takes really really long

And yeah i catch all the legendaries but then they just stay in a box and hardly ever get used

Akaito

Forever Eternal.
    Years
    I don't find using the VS seeker a pain, but I do find having to walk 100 steps for trainers who aren't ready to battle you is.

You should battle every wild Pokemon you see, as long as it's at a reasonably high-level when compared to your Pokemon. If it's at a really low level, just ignore it, as it's unlikely to make a difference anyway.

And as for how long I spend going through the game, I can't really say. I lose track of time when playing.

Defeating the legendaries is stupid, because eventually you'll complete the game, be trying to complete the national dex and ending up having to make a stupid trade for a just-caught one while having to give away something ridiculously high--levelled.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    Defeating the legendaries is stupid, because eventually you'll complete the game, be trying to complete the national dex and ending up having to make a stupid trade for a just-caught one while having to give away something ridiculously high--levelled.

Haha yeah that's agreed. I rushed in saying that. I should've just said that I don't use them, and that would've been enough haha.

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    I catch every legendary I see, but it's more of a collectable to me. I never use them. I only use Vs. Seeker to get more Exp, but I usually just battle wild Pokemon, riding around is too repetitive for me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2017
    Eh, I dunno. I use the Vs. Seeker in spurts it seems, cause it isn't that reliable for regular training.

And yeah, I think I battle a lot of strong wild pokemon mostly, if I'm just concerned about leveling up.

And I would agree with you, I rarely actually use legends, if anything I switch into them in elite four battles to stall while I heal my other pokemon. :P

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I'm doing something different, which is over levelling (50+ hours, and have just beaten the 5th leader). In that file, I use the Vs Seeker all the time (trainer Pokemon give more experience than wild ones, respectively). But don't worry, my only suggestion is to fight every trainer you see. Don't worry too much about wild Pokemon, because they're always there. And I would use the Vs Seeker if you're severely under levelled.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    VS Seeker? Pain in the neck. Better Pokenav with match call.

Depends on the rareness, 'cause they give more xp.

Probably 30 minutes.

ZhaneAugustine

Old Fart Gym living water poke
    Years
    I love catching legendaries! also I train like a maniac, though i rarely use the VS thing, I agree its a major pain

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Yeah, I agree that match call was better. However, there weren't as good of trainers who called you, and in D/P there are plenty with mid/high 50s pokemon.

I will usually fight all the pokemon I find unless I'm in a hurry to go somewhere, like if I have to get off soon and I really want/need to get to somewhere.

Ehh, I fall asleep a lot, so my time would suggest more time than it actually takes. Maybe 30 hours? I do a lot of sidequests and make sure to do everything in a town though.

I usually catch the legendaries, but seeing as I have a lot of pokemon that are better, I tend to steer clear of using them.

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
    I just battle every trainer available. I don't really bother with wild pokemon unless I'm interested in catching them. Usually my pokemon are decent.
    By the 7th gym, I only have 3-4 pokemon in my party, so that might have something to do with it.

By the way, your avartar is amazing.<3

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    well my brother has just beaten the fourth gym and he has level 42s,, this is because he doesnt use vs seeker all the time but chucks them in the daycare for 10levels or so, just going up and down while watching TV

ISa56

-Soul Silver? HECK YES!
    Years
    the answers, in order, are:
    no
    no
    About a week, and my Pokemon end up being level 70 by the time I reach the Elite Four.

Sonido

阿散井 恋次
    Years

Vs Seeker Is quite a pain but if you're serious about training then you will have to keep using it to get more exp
    Nope, I only battle the ones that look strong or will give me loads of exp
    I don't know, It ranges from about 1 month to 1 year. i take my time in playing the games; I still haven't completed Diamond
    You need them. They're strong, cool, fast and a good addition to any trainers collection. If you don't need them, at least catch them. They might be hard to catch but they're worth it.

My opinion on the subject is in bold writing.

Back