• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trespassing in Pokemon Go

Years
    After just accidentally trespassing (and being caught) in a private farmer's field playing Pokemon Go it got me thinking. What do you guys think about the topic, by encouraging players to visit new areas, does Go make it more likely for people to trespass? I know there's a notice when you boot up the game but sometimes you just don't know if somewhere is private land - I sure didn't earlier. And have you ever trespassed yourselves whilst playing, if so what were the consequences?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    private land should have signs around it if its not obviously private, the problem is Niantic are relying on data traffic and ingress players to put spawn points and pokestops/gyms. there are a number of spawn points near me that i cant get to because its in someones land, niantic need a quicker system of dealing with issues. Realistically though they didnt expect the game to be this big and dont have a big enough amount of staff to get through the issues very quickly.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2017
    I'm a hunter and never trespass on someone else's property, it can get you shot! In the US other than signs with no trespassing, there are other recognized signs.

Trees painted with a purple dot or stripe

A tire hanging on a fence post

Years
    There is no such thing as private land. People are as pitiful as ants pretending like they could possibly "own" pieces of the earth. Go where you will and spread peace and love...

Kidding, of course. Don't be stupid and don't get shot. It won't be the game's fault if you do.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I would definitely try to avoid trespassing on private land. Most people are understanding and if their land is not clearly marked, they will send you on your way with nothing but a warning if you explain you didn't realise you were trespassing, but the safest option is probably 'if in doubt, keep out'

Years
    Yeah the only sign in this area was concerning private waters so I thought to simply go around the field was fine. Although the guy was nice about it and understood I was just walking my dog and didn't realise I was trespassing, I won't be going there again. I don't really blame Go for this incident as there was no stops/gyms in that area it just had some nice scenery and a river that I wanted to go see.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    Personally I think Pokemon should only spawn near roads. It doesnt really make sense to have them spawn in the middle of large grass fields because those are usually private property or woods.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Personally I think Pokemon should only spawn near roads. It doesnt really make sense to have them spawn in the middle of large grass fields because those are usually private property or woods.

round here they only spawn in town centres not off the beaten track, i do think public footpaths should have pokestops as in the pokemon games most pokemon were found in fields and woods between towns and would get people exploring more.
    Im hoping in the future they take recommendations for new pokestops, i get that they are too busy now to look at that but for some people it is a game breaker and probably after the tracker fix should be their #1 priority

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    In Munich they have an unreachable pokestop in the middle of an inner yard, surrounded by the headquarters of the federal police. Its a huge fenced off area with some security gates and cameras watching the entire fence.

They also put one in a 5-star hotel that is only reachable for customers.

It is a bit ridiculous, they should add more pokestops in publicly reachable places, and also in nice places in nature as long as they are publicly reachable, and then remove the ones that are not reachable without trespassing.

Its also ridiculous how much businesses like shopping malls or restaurants profit from overlapping nearby pokestops or pokestops inside, or how much they would be willing to pay to get some. I mean disneyland is now famous for having such a ridiculous number of pokestops with lure models that you basically have 3 pokestops with modules in range no matter where you go.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016

I think that largely goes against the spirit of the game though and encourages/rewards people wasting gas driving 9mph thru neighborhoods. I haven't played PG in the woods yet, but I hope to sneak off to a state park this weekend and see if I find anything different.

PSA: If you haven't visited the nearest state park near you and walked all the trails you should do so and keep your phone in your pocket. There's a lot to see out there if you're willing to just take a look ^_^

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    My boyfriend and I went back to our local pokemon gym which was the city's water tower. It was after 9 pm and we wanted to raise it a little more. Cops were being extremely vigilant and decided to stop by and see if we were doing anything wrong. It's understandable that the water tower was city property, but we had no intention whatsoever in actually "trespassing". The officer that stopped us told us that as long as we don't go inside the tower and go over the fence, we should be alright. We were let off with a warning then.

This actually happened last night. Scary, but I think he was doing it to protect us.

Back