• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Triple Type Pokemon?

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Some pokemon should have 3 types. I've given 3 examples in this video I made a long time ago.

Anyways, here are the examples in Text format

Aerodactyl: Ground/Rock/Flying
    Tyranitar: Ground/Rock/Dark
    Drapion: Bug/Poision/Dark
    Beedrill/Dustox: Bug/Poision/Flying
    Flygon: Ground/Dragon/Flying

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    Although this idea seems interesting, it feels like it would make the game a lot more complicated...
    "OHMAIGOSH!, AERODACTYL IS 6X WEAK AGAINST ICE!"
    It could make the game a bit easier/harder.
    I think dual types are just fine tbh ^^.

EDIT: i knew that.. Dx

lol.

Last edited:

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Holy complicated. 0.o I think that would screw alot of people up and I don't think Pokemon have the defense for that. I mean Flygon is now either x6 or x8 weak to ice (depending on if you go 2+2+2 or 2x2x2). That puts a lot of uneeded thought into the game and would probably be a big turn off for a lot of people...

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I think adding triple-type pokemon would be WAYYYY too much. We've already seen the expansion of 3-D elements and whatnot. This isn't necessary.
    Although this idea seems interesting, it feels like it would make the game a lot more complicated...
    "OHMAIGOSH!, AERODACTYL IS 6X WEAK AGAINST ICE!"
    It could make the game a bit easier/harder.
    I think dual types are just fine tbh ^^.

Rock is neutral to ice....

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    If this happened, everything would be more confusing. Though i see were ur comin from some should have 3 types but for the sake of the game itself i think its better they didn't.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I always wondered what it would be like for triple typed Pokémon. Obviously this won't happen either, but would be cool.

I've always imagined: Charizard - Fire/Flying/Dragon

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    I always thought lugia should be water type too, but triple types add too much...

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    lol, there goes the metagame...now that half of the pokemon now have a 4x weakness (most likely to Ice because of the number of dragon fanboys and/or people who want levitating pokemon to have another ability while maintaining their ground immunity)

Speaking of immunities. I wanna be the first person to catch and raise the inevitable tankish ghost/flying/steel pokemon. >:D

Years
    There are almost no pokemon that would warrant a third type. No, Charizard doesn't count. It's Fire/Flying and that's good enough. Seriously, there are probably a bunch of people who'd want to see this only to tack on the Dragon type.

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    There are almost no pokemon that would warrant a third type. No, Charizard doesn't count. It's Fire/Flying and that's good enough. Seriously, there are probably a bunch of people who'd want to see this only to tack on the Dragon type.

Gryados says hi. I mean he needs a freaking third type (dragon)

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
    It would royally screw up any chance of future balancing.

We'd enter the realms where practically all Pokémon would be super-effective against each other, removing a lot of tactics within competitive battling.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Why not make it Ghost/ground/steel with levitate?

Wow, don't I feel stupid. I couldn't decide between making my hypothetical pokemon flying or ground when I made that despite the fact that I mentioned the levitate ability in the previous paragraph. XD

The point being that balance will not only be torn to shreds, but levitating ground/steel/ghosts with Ice attacks will be urinating on the remnants of a once-great competitive scene.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    wtf?

First the 'more than one ability thing' then triple types? These ideas will ruin the metagame. It won't be a challenge anymore, and games without challenges are boring and not sellable. :\

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Well, the only way this can be anywhere near close to even thinking about would be if just a few of the Pokemon had three types. I mean, right now, there are Pokemon with one and two types. Just because a third slot for a type could be introduced, doesn't mean that every Pokemon has to have three types. Just like Magnemite and Magneton were changed to dual Electric/Steel, albeit a different reason, you could change like three or four pokemon to three types (namely Charizard, Gyarados, and Aerodactyl) to add the Dragon type in, because come on, we all see it in them. There might be a couple more out there that deserve a third type, and sure, give it to them, and introduce a few more that have a third type. This doesn't mean that suddenly every Pokemon has moves that are super super super effective against it. If they were to introduce say 147 new Pokemon (to make an even 650) in Gen V, then only have like 15 of them be triple type.

Jack Kentnon

Derp Trainer
    Years
    I agree with the general 'nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo'.

It's an intresting idea, but on the same note, it's a bad idea. It would be like adding a 5th wheel to a car, it's a neat idea, but it's a little redundant.

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
    Years
    I vote you get banned for this terrible idea. It's already complicated enough. We don't need triple typing, double-typed moves, un-critical hits, parry chances, third-party interference, move cooldowns, or any other nonsense added to the system

Back