• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

troubles and advice?

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    i found that when i first got my starter, i concentrated on that, so when i got to the opposite type to me, my lv.40 pokemon wouldnt do much good against their lv.20s, and my other pokemon which i got to about lv.11, where just striked down.
    i have overcome this now, but i was wondering did you have any problems or habites when you first started out?
    Jessie1065

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I remember when I first got Diamond, I completely neglected my whole team except for Infernape, and it may have even known Cut! I was waaaayyy inexperienced back then.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I kept all my Pokémon levels the same, but when I first got a legendary, I over levelled it.

I also have a habit of having a Fire, Water and Grass pokemon in my team. Always.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • empoleon always killed torterra, i had my empoleon 20 levels over, then when i got to the E4, my only good pokemon were lv. 60? empoleon, lv. 50 dialga, and lv. 26 staravia

now im better then that XD

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    My problem is kind of the opposite of yours. I'm a balance freak, so I constantly try to keep my whole team around the same level and some Pokemon in the PC around the same level so I can switch to them and they can still be viable..

however I don't really over-train, so I don't have that 1 really strong Pokemon... as a result I'll have an entire level 30 team and I'll be going up against Pokemon maybe level 35 or so...

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    my starter is always the strongest, around 5 levels at least, right now
    my highest is feraligatr lv 42 followed by heracross lv 37 followed by growlithe lv33.
    I have ho oh but i only use him for fly. or as a last resort

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Sooo, it looks like this topic strays beyond just HG/SS. With that in mind, I'll just move this on over to General Pokémon Gaming where it can cover all generations of the games.

My biggest trouble to date was probably when I first got Pokémon Silver and I chose Totodile as my starter. It was the only Pokémon I trained and while I would catch other Pokémon in the wild, I would never use them. So when I got up to the Elite Four, my Feraligatr would be like LV. 60+ while all my Pokémon were extremely lower. D: Then again, catching and leveling up other Pokémon was a lot harder to do since most of the Pokémon you encountered were so low in level.

Luckily, I learned away around that problem as I grew up playing the games more and in SoulSilver I am able to train more than just my starter. n_n;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I have this thing where I don't want any of my Pokemon fainting, so I tend to spend an insane amount of time level grinding. But that also means boss battles are pushovers.

But on the same token, I like to keep my team about equal level wise and about 5 levels ahead of the Gym Leader when I face them.

Biggest problem I've had was Cynthia's Garchomp out-running my Empoleon equipped with Ice Beam and doing massive damage with Earthquake. Oh, and Lucian's Bronzong in D/P.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've never really been the type to do that. I love raising different kinds of Pokemon, so I tried to keep them (and still do) in a span of 5 levels, such as the highest one being 45 and lowest at 40. But my first time in Sapphire, I'm sure my Blaziken was overlevelled, mainly cause I changed my team a lot, but never switched Blaziken out.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I usually just pick one or two Pokemon that I want the team to be focused on, and greatly overlevel them. As long as I can cover their weaknesses between the two of them, I'm just fine. My favorites are Starmie-or-Lapras paired with Nidoking for the originals, Kadabra/Alakazam paired with Graveler/Golem in GSC, Swampert/Blaziken paired with Sableye in RSE, and Gyarados paired with Torterra for DPPt.

Back