• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tutorial for engines please...

thiaguinhohp

Hacking newbie
Years
  • I'm a rock and don't understand a thing about all tentatives of tutorials i see about implementing engines into a rom. The documentation don't say anything that is begginer friendly. It assumes we have the make.py file but i never saw that.

problems i came across: how to actually begin. Also when i download the engine it don't have scripts folder neither a make.py file or any py file at all. btw this pc have python 2.x installed. python 3.7 as well

Can someone tell me what to do? Theses engines are completely not begginer friendly. The patch way is waaay easier and better.

Also i want to put this engine in a modified rom. Does this would work?

i need a step by step (even better with video) also how to make that make.py file appear

Years
    • Seen today
    @thiaguinhohp

The goal of these engines is to provide great bases for good future ROM hacks, not to make it as easy as possible for beginners to make something mediocre. From what I've heard the documentation on the CFRU explains how to import the engine pretty extensively. If there is a certain step you're stuck at, ask help on that specific step in the thread of the CFRU.

ROM Hacking as a beginner is going to be a little hard, accept that. You'll probably need to read over some steps several times before you'll figure it all, that's normal;)

On patches:
    Also i want to put this engine in a modified rom. Does this would work?

This is the exact reason why you shouldn't use patches and use these dynamic extensions instead. Patches are static in where they import their data. They are often incompatible ROM hacks that are already in development, while with python you dynamically import these functions in free space. Also, a lot of different patches are not compatible with each other and don't always tell at what offsets changes are made/imported.

Last edited:
    Back