• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to build the Pokémon GBA decomps using WSL (Win10)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
  • It still doesn't work.
    Hm. Try using ls to confirm that the install-devkitpro-pacman script was downloaded correctly, and if it is there, try bash install-devkitpro-pacman.

If that doesn't work and considering sudo is involved, maybe try to authenticate as a root user by using sudo -i and then typing your Ubuntu user password (that is the same one you wrote when you set up WSL) and then try to use either sudo ./install-devkitpro-pacman or bash install-devkitpro-pacman.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2022
    pls help rom is not created 10 help

Spoiler:
    [/SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • pls help rom is not created 10 help

Spoiler:
    Wait, why did you send me a PM when you already posted here...?
    Anyway, as I told you there, you didn't install libpng.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I've (finally) updated the main post of this thread.
    I added a FAQ, and instructions on how to set up and work with WSL2 as well.
    Bye.

If any of you spot any mistakes, let me know and I will fix them up.

Years

• 27 of January from 2023. I'm rewriting this tutorial. I should have done it much sooner, but y'all know me; I'm lazy.
    What are the goals? To explain in simple steps how to set up an environment to build Pret's Pokémon Decompilation Projects on WSL.
    What is being added? Explanations on how to set up a WSL2 environment and considerations to keep in mind and such.
    What's driving me to do this after so long? Devkitpro, in a way. I won't say more.
    Let's get to it.

Before we start, I'll need you to make a choice; WSL1 or WSL2.

List of Pros and Cons:
    Spoiler:

After you made up your choice, follow the correspondent section of the tutorial.
    Personally, I do my decomp work on the filesystem of my Ubuntu installation using WSL2.

WSL1:
    Spoiler:

WSL2:
    Spoiler:

(Not Really) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
    Spoiler:

In case of need, I'm keeping an archived copy of this post as a GitHub Gist. Click here to check it.
    I'm going to update it whenever I make changes to this post.

And that's pretty much it.

Hi Sir!!! im on windows... i think ive already installed everything and also python...the problem is i have an error when im trying the ./build.py on Dizzy's Hack Engine...i wanted to add SHiny Carm on my personal rom hack Emerald... the errors are .. [Paths=PathVar.split(';')
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'] im not expert on this....though i wanted to know how to figure this one... thanks in advance...

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hi Sir!!! im on windows... i think ive already installed everything and also python...the problem is i have an error when im trying the ./build.py on Dizzy's Hack Engine...i wanted to add SHiny Carm on my personal rom hack Emerald... the errors are .. [Paths=PathVar.split(';')
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'] im not expert on this....though i wanted to know how to figure this one... thanks in advance...
    The decomps do not use Python.
    What you're trying to do is to use an injection for binary hacking.
    This tutorial is not gonna be useful to you, and you're not even asking in the right section of the forum.
    This tutorial teaches how to build the decompilation projects which are a completely different and separate thing.
    Go make a thread in the Binary ROM Hacking area exposing your problem.

Days
    • Seen today
    Hi there!

I'm very new to rom hacking and the rom hacking community (this is actually my very first post, I hope I'm doing this right).
    I've been trying to follow your 2023 setup tutorial, and I seem to have a problem when trying to run the following command:
    Bash:
    ~/romhack/agbcc$ ./build.sh
    The error is the following:
    Spoiler: Stacktrace

I realize that this thread is old, but I'm a bit lost lol, so I thought I'd start by asking for help here just in case!

EDIT: I feel dumb lol. It was just telling me it didn't recognize the "gcc" command. I ran "sudo apt install gcc", and then everything worked! Keeping this here just in case someone runs into the same issue.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hi there!

I'm very new to rom hacking and the rom hacking community (this is actually my very first post, I hope I'm doing this right).
    I've been trying to follow your 2023 setup tutorial, and I seem to have a problem when trying to run the following command:
    Bash:
    ~/romhack/agbcc$ ./build.sh
    The error is the following:
    Spoiler: Stacktrace

I realize that this thread is old, but I'm a bit lost lol, so I thought I'd start by asking for help here just in case!

EDIT: I feel dumb lol. It was just telling me it didn't recognize the "gcc" command. I ran "sudo apt install gcc", and then everything worked! Keeping this here just in case someone runs into the same issue.
    As a matter of fact, you didn't need to go out of your way to install GCC.
    GCC comes packed with build-essential, and if you installed either binutils-arm-none-eabi or devkitPro's gba-dev package like it's explained in the main post, you wouldn't have gotten that error.

Days
    • Seen today
    GCC comes packed with build-essential, and if you installed either binutils-arm-none-eabi or devkitPro's gba-dev package like it's explained in the main post, you wouldn't have gotten that error.
    I did though! I installed binutils, then when I got the error I apt removed it and followed the install procedure for devkitpro's gba package lol. I followed all the exact steps, not sure where things went wrong.

Back