• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to build the Pokémon GBA decomps using WSL (Win10)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
  • I'm stuck after trying to clone pokeemerald and the other file. Says something about couldn't set value to false.
    You'll have to be more specific than that.
    Is it something like this?
    error: chmod on /mnt/c/Users/Lunos/Home/pokeemerald/.git/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted
    fatal: could not set 'core.filemode' to 'false'
    If it is, open WSL and type these commands 1 by 1, then close WSL and open it again.
    Code:
    cd
    sudo umount /mnt/c
    sudo mount -t drvfs C: /mnt/c -o metadata

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2021
    Thanks, all worked well and everything is done!! Was wondering if you could help me by telling me how to open in porymap if this is possible? Thanks again

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2023
    Thanks for the tutorial:

Got a little issue:
    Error: can't open sound/songs/midi/mus_rg_sevii_cave.s for reading: No such file or directory
    make: *** [songs.mk:4: build/emerald/sound/songs/midi/mus_rg_sevii_cave.o] Error 1

Any ideas?

No real clue why a file is missing since i downloaded "git clone https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald" everything from here =/

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Thanks for the tutorial:

Got a little issue:
    Error: can't open sound/songs/midi/mus_rg_sevii_cave.s for reading: No such file or directory
    make: *** [songs.mk:4: build/emerald/sound/songs/midi/mus_rg_sevii_cave.o] Error 1

Any ideas?

No real clue why a file is missing since i downloaded "git clone https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald" everything from here =/
    I just cloned a clean copy of Pokeemerald and it's building normally.
    Did you do any change to the project after having cloned it?
    Because this tutorial only comprehends cloning and building a clean Pokeemerald repository and nothing else.

It's honestly hard to say more without knowing what exactly did you do, but I'd suggest you to clone Pokeemerald and try to build it again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2021
    I'm having this problem too. I went back to step 3 like you suggested. My error says "gdebi error, file not found: devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb" even though I can see it in my downloads folder.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I went back to step 3 like you suggested. My error says "gdebi error, file not found: devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb" even though I can see it in my downloads folder.
    The .deb package may be located in the Downloads folder, but you are probably not.
    Your terminal needs to be located on that folder, otherwise it won't be able to open any files located in said folder.
    You can go to it by using the cd command.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    New to decomp here,
    I'm on Step 9: ./build.sh

I read some warning messages, wasn't sure how to interpret if this is alright to continue, or needs to be resolved.

This is Step 6.5:
    Spoiler:

This is Step 7:
    Spoiler:

This is Step 8:
    Spoiler:

This is Step 9:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • New to decomp here,
    I'm on Step 9: ./build.sh

I read some warning messages, wasn't sure how to interpret if this is alright to continue, or needs to be resolved.

This is Step 6.5:
    Spoiler:

This is Step 7:
    Spoiler:

This is Step 8:
    Spoiler:

This is Step 9:
    Spoiler:
    You didn't get any errors, so everything has worked fine for you thus far.

Skelatox

Bones Full o' Ooze
    Years
  • Well, I've run into an issue on Step 2. That was quick. 😅
    I tried downloading it through the Microsoft store, but then I get this error:
    Spoiler:

So, I tried the alternative, downloading the .appx package directly, and ran into another issue. When I run the appx file, I get the following, normal install message. But when I click 'Install', it closes without doing a thing. It doesn't even bring up an error message.
    Spoiler:

I've been digging around for the past two hours trying to find any explanation. I tried downloading the appx file again, made sure my version of Windows 10 was compatible, performed Step 1 again, tried running the Windows Store App Troubleshooter, tried turning Developer Mode on to make sure it wasn't an issue with Sideloading permissions, tried everything with Task Manager open to see if I could spot something funky happening, all turned up nada. I didn't want to bump an old thread, but I'm out of alternatives. I haven't been able to find any posts online about similar issues anywhere. At this point, you're my best, last hope.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Well, I've run into an issue on Step 2. That was quick. 😅
    I tried downloading it through the Microsoft store, but then I get this error:
    Spoiler:

So, I tried the alternative, downloading the .appx package directly, and ran into another issue. When I run the appx file, I get the following, normal install message. But when I click 'Install', it closes without doing a thing. It doesn't even bring up an error message.
    Spoiler:

I've been digging around for the past two hours trying to find any explanation. I tried downloading the appx file again, made sure my version of Windows 10 was compatible, performed Step 1 again, tried running the Windows Store App Troubleshooter, tried turning Developer Mode on to make sure it wasn't an issue with Sideloading permissions, tried everything with Task Manager open to see if I could spot something funky happening, all turned up nada. I didn't want to bump an old thread, but I'm out of alternatives. I haven't been able to find any posts online about similar issues anywhere. At this point, you're my best, last hope.
    Something tells me your installation of Windows may be faulty, or maybe you disabled some Windows services that allows the Windows Store to function, like the Microsoft Store Install Service.

Whatever the case, you can uncompress the .appx using 7zip, and then run ubuntu2004.exe which is actually how I use it.

Skelatox

Bones Full o' Ooze
    Years
  • Thanks! Extracting it via 7zip worked like a charm, and I had no other issues with setting up the decomps. You may be right, I try and get rid of any Windows 10 bloatware I can, and it may be that I deleted something vital to the Windows Store. Hard to say, given that this is the first and only time I've used it.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Hi there, I'm on the step 9, and i get this when I do ./build.sh command and I get this error:

HTML:
    /bin/sh: 6: arm-none-eabi-as: not found
    /bin/sh: 8: arm-none-eabi-ar: not found
    _divsi3
    _umodsi3
    _modsi3
    _dvmd_tls
    _call_via_rX
    mv tmplibgcc1.a libgcc1.a
    mv: cannot stat 'tmplibgcc1.a': No such file or directory
    Makefile:33: recipe for target 'libgcc1.a' failed
    make: *** [libgcc1.a] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory '/mnt/c/users/phoeb/Decomps/agbcc/libgcc'

and I don't quite know how to fix this?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hi there, I'm on the step 9, and i get this when I do ./build.sh command and I get this error:

HTML:
    _divsi3
    _umodsi3
    _modsi3
    _dvmd_tls
    _call_via_rX
    mv tmplibgcc1.a libgcc1.a
    mv: cannot stat 'tmplibgcc1.a': No such file or directory
    Makefile:33: recipe for target 'libgcc1.a' failed
    make: *** [libgcc1.a] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory '/mnt/c/users/phoeb/Decomps/agbcc/libgcc'

and I don't quite know how to fix this?
    You did close WSL and opened it again after having installed devkitPro like I mention in the main post, yes?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Yep, I did.
    And are you sure that devkitPro and its gba-dev package were installed successfully on your end?
    What happens if you type dkp-pacman -Sl? Do you see the gba-tools library marked as installed there, for example?

EDIT: I guess it's also worth checking if the environment variables devkitPro creates were actually created too. You can do this by typing echo $DEVKITPRO and/or echo $DEVKITARM

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2022
    I am running this on Ubuntu 20.0.4 and everything is good except.

When I run make with "nds.rom" in the main directory I see the following:

make
    rm -rf base
    mkdir -p base
    mkdir -p narc
    mkdir -p narc/pokemonow
    mkdir -p narc/pokemonicon
    mkdir -p build/pokemonow
    mkdir -p build/a018
    mkdir -p build/text
    mkdir -p build/move
    mkdir -p build/move/move_seq
    mkdir -p build/move/move_anim
    tools/ndstool.exe -x rom.nds -9 base/arm9.bin -7 base/arm7.bin -y9 base/overarm9.bin -y7 base/overarm7.bin -d base/root -y base/overlay -t base/banner.bin -h base/header.bin
    tools/ndstool.exe: 1: MZ����@���: not found
    tools/ndstool.exe: 5: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
    make: *** [Makefile:95: all] Error 2

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I am running this on Ubuntu 20.0.4 and everything is good except.

When I run make with "nds.rom" in the main directory I see the following:

make
    rm -rf base
    mkdir -p base
    mkdir -p narc
    mkdir -p narc/pokemonow
    mkdir -p narc/pokemonicon
    mkdir -p build/pokemonow
    mkdir -p build/a018
    mkdir -p build/text
    mkdir -p build/move
    mkdir -p build/move/move_seq
    mkdir -p build/move/move_anim
    tools/ndstool.exe -x rom.nds -9 base/arm9.bin -7 base/arm7.bin -y9 base/overarm9.bin -y7 base/overarm7.bin -d base/root -y base/overlay -t base/banner.bin -h base/header.bin
    tools/ndstool.exe: 1: MZ����@���: not found
    tools/ndstool.exe: 5: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
    make: *** [Makefile:95: all] Error 2
    You're clearly not trying to build one of the GBA Games' decomps.
    Sorry, but this tutorial does not touch on the NDS Games' decomps at all.
    I'll edit the title of the thread to make it clear, but if you check the main post, you will notice that I make explicit mention of Pokeruby, Pokefirered and Pokeemerald.

I don't know what exactly are you trying to build, but both Pokediamond and Pokeheartgold, which are not in a usable state at all, follow a different building procedure. You can read more about it in their own INSTALL.md documents.

Back