• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ugh... "Bouffalant".

Lolipiece

Burst Warrior
Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    And what's wrong with Bouffalant?

I would change Emolga back into Emonga.

We have Pikachu, Raichi, Pichu, Plusle, Minun, and Pachirisu. Why did they have to break the pattern!?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd change Braviary back to Wargle because it made sense (using 2 words that represent it well (war, eagle).

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    I'd change everything back to their Japanese names. Fushigidane, Rankurusu and Jalorda are better. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'd change Persian's name to... whatever species of cat it most closely resembles IRL. Because as attractive is it is, it doesn't look a thing like an actual Persian cat. Did GameFreak randomly pick a cat species and slap it on? I'm thinking yes.

Years
  • I'd change everything back to their Japanese names. Fushigidane, Rankurusu and Jalorda are better. XD

Solution: Live in Japan. Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd probably change Arceus since it's debated so much how you're actually supposed to say it.

Years
  • Bouffalant is a cool name! :D It sounds exactly like buffalo,which pretty much makes sense.. :P A little off topic...Bouffalant is one of the most annoying Pokemon in the game... D:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'd change Persian's name to... whatever species of cat it most closely resembles IRL. Because as attractive is it is, it doesn't look a thing like an actual Persian cat. Did GameFreak randomly pick a cat species and slap it on? I'm thinking yes.

Yessssyesyesyesyes. Edit: I'm guessing probably the Abyssinian, it's a very popular breed as well and pretty similar.

Spoiler:

I probably would be terrible at naming Pokemon tbh, I'm not creative enough for names and stuff like that. But I would switch Oshawott back to Mijumaru probably, I mean miju is a really cute name. But then Dewott and Samurott wouldn't make sense anymore and I don't like their Japanese names as much so idek. :<

Last edited:
    Years
  • Firstly, I'd change Ferrothorn back to Nattorei, as the latter is so much easier to type. I agree with Lolipiece in changing Emolga back, Emonga has always sounded better to me. Serperior to either Serperial or Viperial and Samurott to its German name, Admurai.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I'd change everything back to their Japanese names. Fushigidane, Rankurusu and Jalorda are better. XD
    It's hard enough pronouncing the japanese names, that is around the western world.

I'd change Groudon, although it's a great Pokémon it's like they wrote Ground and did a typo, then decided to go with it. xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I would change the boring, bland, obvious names. Yanno, the names that are just actual words or misspellings of words. Seel, Sawk, Throh, the Klinklang line... Don't get me wrong; I like the Pokemon themselves, but names like that annoy me to no end.

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
  • There are a few names that bother me.
    Mr. Mime, because it suggests that the Pokemon species is male, when originally its name had nothing insinuating that.

Leafeon, because I think they could have used something more creative. Vaporeon, Espeon, Umbreon...those are unique, but Leafeon is really simple. Don't get me wrong though, I love Leafeon.

I'm not too fond of Cofagrigus either. It gets a lot of hate for that name, and it was even banned from trading at some point.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Bouffalant is such an ugly and annoying name (in my opinion) but I wished they kept the names of Shanderaa (Chandellure) and Sanzandora (Hydregion) those names were so cool in their original names

:t354:TG

The13thSage

Only guy who likes Shedinja :P
    Years
  • I'd change the gen 5 starters back to their Japanese names, because the Japanese names just sound better than the English ones.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I'd change the whole Klinklang line, and not back to their Japanese names, because I think those sound ridiculous as well. Also Hurdurr and Conkeldurr, or Gurrdurr or something.
    Firstly, I'd change Ferrothorn back to Nattorei, as the latter is so much easier to type. I agree with Lolipiece in changing Emolga back, Emonga has always sounded better to me. Serperior to either Serperial or Viperial and Samurott to its German name, Admurai.
    I agree, Serperior is obviously derived from the word 'superior' which I don't like, and Admurai sounds pretty neat.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    I'd change Minccino to something closer to its original Japanese name. Not because I like Japanese names better (I don't) but because it's the chinchilla pokemon, yet its name sounds nothing like chinchilla. It sounds to me like they accidentally switched the English and Italian names up and didn't catch it until the game had been released so they just left it.

And I'm eternally grateful that the game's creators put in the effort to use western phonology in their naming conventions. Without looking at a Ferrothorn's picture, I can already tell a lot about it by its name alone: Ferro, being the Latin for Iron combined with the word Thorn, I know that it's a thorny plant type with steel attributes. Nattorei tells me nothing as a native English speaker, and I'd play the games for years on end and never be able to tell the difference between it and a Nazonokusa or a Naetoru or even any of the pokemon that don't begin with N.

Back