• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaWinnerGON

Backpacker
Years
Update Time:
-Went down the route to Union Cave
-Did our thang in Azaelea town
(Kicked Team Rocket out of a well, Bugsy = Eradicated, defeated Rival)
-Played through the Ilex Forest
-Went up to Goldenrod, caught an Abra to trade for Muscles the Machop
-Whitney got Low Kicked to tears, thanks to Muscles
-Remembered the Odd Egg crap, so went and hatched it about 8 times til I got a Tyrogue, named him Protein
-Went up to Ecruteak City, then proceeded to do our thang
(Woke up some dogs, danced with some hot babes, Morty got soaked down with some Water Guns from Nancy)

Current Team: (decided to start adding in movesets)
Nancy (Poliwhirl) Lv 31
-Raindance
-Hypnosis
-Water Gun
-Double Slap
Muscle (Machoke) Lv 30
-Low Kick
-Seismic Toss
-Foresight
-Karate Chop
Protein (Tyrogue) Lv 10
-Tackle
-Dizzy Punch

Keepin it real now.

By the way, would just like to add that I really love this thread, its interesting seeing how everyone raises their own team for whatever game they have. Plus the challenge itself is really enjoyable.

Years
Update on my electric challenge:

1. Got my Pikachu and kicked Gary's butt
  2. Did the stuff for oak to get the pokedex
  3. Headed through the viridian forest with ease
  4. Trained pikachu for a while
  5. Tried to fight brock but failed miserably
  6. Trained then tried to fight brock again and lost..again
  7. Repeat last step 5 times
  8. Eventually beat brock
  9. Went through the cave with a little difficulty
  10. Beat misty
  11. Beat Gary
  12. Got the SS ticket from Bill
  13. Went to vermilion city
  14. Beat Gary and got cut
  15. Currently trying to find a pokemon who can us cut with no luck.....

And thats it My Pikachu is at lvl 31 cuz i've been trainin a lot
I caught a ratata cuz i thought he'd be able to use cut:disappoin

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
-Now then, made Bibarel forget Strength for Waterfall
-Deposited Girafarig for Bibaslave and headed off to the pokemon league
-Not gonna lie, Victory Road was annoying.
-Grinding time!

Team: Pre Elite-Four
Spoiler:

Aaron:

Staraptor one-shotted Dustox with Brave Bird
Next up, Drapion! Girafarig lost over half his health to a crit Ice Fang before he could use earthquake, Drapion lost about 25%. Next turn Hyper potion from me, crit X-scissor from him...
Purugly's turn. Purugly used dig, it didn't do much, so I decided to just spam Charm for a while (I have a plan :D) Next up, body slam to paralyze it.
At this point I switched to Bibarel, defense curl/rollout time. Predictably, 2 hits in a full restore was used. Predictably, the next 2 hits finished it off anyway.
Heracross's turn, it missed with Megahorn, got hit with a 5th turn, defense curl/hard stone boosted rollout, not much else to say really...
Beautifly. Got Bibarel down to 5hp with bugbuzz(Ouch!), was taken down by Rollout.
Foe's Vespiquen is exerting it's pressure. Bibarel used rollout. Critical hit! It's Super Effective!

Saved and healed up for the next room.

Bertha:

First up, Quagsire vs Clefairy. Quagsire kept using protect and double team, Clefairy used Magical Leaf.
Next, Sudowoodo! Clefairy stayed in, I have no idea why...managed 2 hits with Magical Leaf before getting knocked out with Hammer Arm.
Showtime, Staraptor! Hammer Arm vs Close Combat. Would've been in my favour if she hadn't scored a crit...
Lopunny's up next. Sudowoodo used Sucker Punch, Lopunny hit it with a jump kick.
Next match, Bibarel vs Golem. Bibarel used a few defense curls before hitting Golem with 2 Waterfalls for the win, shrugging off 2 brick breaks and an earthquake in the process.
Whiscash was up next, I figured Bibarel had some pretty strong defenses going and tried for a rollout combo...no I don't know what I was thinking either. Thankfully the AI was willing to spam Aqua Tail for next to no damage.
As that took 4 turns, I figured I'd take out a large chunk of Hippowdon with the 5th hit of rollout, it went critical. Game, set, match. Bibarel!

Saved and healed up for the next room.

Ronald McFlint:

Girafarig got taken down by a Flare Blitz from Rapidash, turn 2. Oww...
Next up, Purugly. I decided if we were going to stand any chance I'd need to wait for the sunlight to fade. Unfortunately I decided not to heal after the sunlight stopped, bad idea...
Bibarel went out and hit Rapidash with Waterfall before returning to his pokeball in favor of Staraptor when it started charging its solarbeam. Staraptor got solarbeamed and bounced, but managed to finish it off with aerial ace.
He sent out his Infernape, Lv.61...oh my. I sent out Lopunny, who managed to get 2 hits with bounce including one crit before fainting. I suddenly found myself wishing I'd kept Quick Attack on something...Staraptor finished it with secret power.
Next up was Steelix, I switched out for Clefairy and couldn't help but laugh when Steelix used Sunny Day...and then proceeded to use a rock type move...Cue Flamethrower, and proof that fire solves everything...including the fire type user of the elite four.
I revived Girafarig for the fight against Drifblim and began hitting it with Thunderbolts (and Lightning, very, very frightning) before reviving Purugly, just in case...then it baton passed to Lopunny after 1 double team, suddenly thunderbolt had next to no accuracy. I managed one hit...which got Mirror Coated.
Okay, Staraptor's turn. When in doubt, Close Combat! Another one of Flint's full restores came out. After getting hit with 2 charms I decided to send in the big guns.
Bibarel, for the record, the Raticate of a game should never be in a position to be referred to as the 'big guns'...ah well, rollout!
Finally, his Drifblim had a full power rollout to deal with and only 1 turn to double team...of course I missed...made up for it next turn with a crit for the win though :D

Saved an healed up for the next room.

Lucian:

Purugly took the lead this time and got one shotted by Mr. Mime...at least she got a hit in first...
No matter, Girafarig resists Psychic and has Crunch, this should work out...Oh right, and it doesn't have defenses comparable to those of a wet tissue. Lucian used a full restore followed by reflect...great...Girafarig won but was in critical status
I decided to switch to Lopunny to deal with his Girafarig. Bounced it for paralysis and started hitting it with charm. Reflect wore off, great! Jump Kick time! I went for another bounce towards the end of its lifespan as I was kinda expecting a full restore...
Medicham vs Staraptor, I started off with secret power to paralyze before hitting it with Brave Bird for the win.
Alakazam came out and Bibarel came off the bench, unfortunately...I forgot about energy ball.
No matter, I healed up Girafarig and got 2 shotted...
Cue Clefairy. She tanked an energy ball then froze Alakazam giving me plenty of time to revive and heal. Alakazam then repeated its mistake upon thawing, allowing Clefairy to confuse it. It responded with a critical Psychic...ow.
Too many Hyper potions later, Alakazam eventually fell down.
Finally, it was down to his lv63 Bronzong and my Lv.49 Girafarig...eep.
I revived Clefairy and Bibarel before Girafarig eventually exploded. Okay, Clefairy's turn, this thing's weak against fire, right? Should be a piece of cake, right? Unfortunately, it had already set up about 3 calm minds by this point...
I decided to wait out it's psychics, sure it's a cheap move. But it's got 14 levels on me, I'll take any advantage I can get, thanks.
Alright, the revive-roulette ended up on Bibarel, time for everyone's, well...my favourite combo. Defense Curl-rollout. (I promise if I do another challenge this combo won't appear...much)

Saved and healed up, time for the champion.

-I switched a couple of items up before this battle (Sky Plate to Razor Claw, Earth Plate to Zap Plate, Razor Claw to Earth Plate, Exp Share to Wide Lens)
-Oh, it's the woman who didn't help me defeat the terrorists who wanted to destroy the world...

Cynthia:

-Lopunny used bounce on Spiritomb and ran out of PP without paralyzing it...
-Clefairy got off 1 Ice beam before fainting
-Staraptor finished it with Brave Bird.
-Girafarig vs Milotic, I went with Thunderbolt figuring I'd be more likely to survive if it was paralyzed, it seemed to be okay, until it brought out Mirror Coat.
-Realising it's special defense defense was insane,and it's attacks were all ineffective against water types I sent in Bibarel to Katamari this thing.
-After 1 hit of rollout, she switched to Ms. Chompy, eep. Fortunately, she'd given me long enough to set up max defense. Bibarel(The Raticate of this game) vs Garchomp(The Dragonite of this game) and Raticate wins with a 16 level disadvantage...What...the...Hell?!
-Staraptor vs Roserade, Brave Bird. Goodnight Roserade.
-Clefairy vs Milotic, not gonna lie to ya, it wasn't pretty.
-Purugly vs Milotic, Purugly nearly won, then a full restore was used...Oh well, it's paralyzed now. switched out.
-Girafarig vs Milotic, used a couple of thunderbolts before deciding the damage sucked, switch.
-Lopunny vs Milotic, Dizzy Punched it a few times, fainted.
-Bibarel vs Milotic, Revived the rest of the team, set up some x-items then Katamari'd
-Bibarel vs Lucario, I love my X-Speed...and my X-attack. 2 turns and it was down.
-Bibarel vs Gastrodon, if Lucario and Milotic couldn't hack it, what do you think happened to this?

Victory! I had to reset way too many times for that last battle, mainly because I forgot about the existence of x-items...hehe.

Anyway...

Victoryismine.png

MVP: Hard to say, a lot of team members did really well this time around but the best would have to be Bibarel, couldn't have beaten Cynthia without her.

Weakest: Purugly, for something only available so late in the game I kinda expected more. Sure she was fast, but that's really all she had going for her.

I kinda wish I'd tried playing through Pearl with a proper team, or at least tried finishing Platinum before I did this. It may have helped avoid the ridiculous number of healing items/revives I used vs the elite four not to mention the business with the moon stone, or lack thereof. But I was bored of grinding and was running low on things to update with.

Last edited:

FANOFFIRESTARTERS!!!

Call me FOFS
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2021
excuse me Alakazam17, I believe that I have finished my Ultimate Fire Monotype Challenge. You have me under Sinnoh. The only problem i have with this is that when my name was added to the list of challengers/champions under sinnoh, i was already done. Could you please update that list and put my name under the champions sections in Fire monotype challenges. Thank you.

IDoLikeMudkip

Master of Nothing
Years
-Grinding...yay -_-

-Went to the abandoned ship to get a water stone

-Used water stone on Raincatchr

-Finally beat the E4

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Honorable Mentions:
Spoiler:

Awards:
Spoiler:

The End:
Spoiler:

And now onto Platinum

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
Water type update 1

Did the battle at Lake Verity using Piplup
Got the Running Shoes
Got the free potion from the Mart Guy
Went to see Rowan
Nicknamed Piplup Pesi
Got the Pokedex
Healed Pesi
Went to back to Twinleaf,Pesi levelling up on the way.
Told my Ingame Mum about my adventure
Got the Journal
Got the Parcel
Went back to SandGem town
Learnt how to catch Pokemon
Got 5 Pokeballs
Pesi grew to level 7
Healed up at SandGem
Bought 3 Potions
Pesi grew to level 8 and learned Bubble
Caught a Bidoof and nicknamed it BiBi
Went back to Sandgem to heal
Won my first trainer battle
BiBi grew to level after my second trainer battle
Pesi grew to level 9 after the same battle
BiBi grew to Level 5 and learned Growl after my 3rd trainer battle
I find a potion on the ground
I enter Jubilfe city
I obtained the Old Rod
I fish up a Magikarp on route 218
I catch it and nickname it Areo
Team
Pesi
Piplup
LV9
Growl
Pound
Bubble

BiBi
Bidoof
LV5
Tackle
Growl

Areo
Magikarp
LV6
Splash

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 23, 2011
I'm doing the water challenge on Sapphire instead of Emerald now.
- Chose Mudkip as starter.
- Caught Lotad
- Trained Mudkip and Lotad up to level 10.
- About to enter forest.

Xia

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
Ok, an update on my platinum poison team mono challenge;

Budew (Lilly)
lv 21 @ Soothe bell
Mega Drain
Stun Spore
Growth
Water Sport

Skorupi (Pinch)
Lv 11 @ No Item
Aerial Ace
Dark Pulse
Sludge Bomb
Poison Sting

Zubat (Muis)
Lv 17 @ No Item
Bite
Astonish
Supersonic
Wing Attack

Dustox (Candle)
lv 18 @ Quick Claw
Tackle
Protect
Bug Bite
Poison Sting

--------

So, nothing much has happened I'm now in eterna forest hoping to find a gastly, I already have one, but that one ended up having all tm moves, it coming out an egg from a tm-mashed gengar. So I choose to just catch a wild Gastly and train that one. The skorupi came from an egg, obviously.

Heading towards eterna now. And Budew still didn't evolve D:

CyberSamurai

Devoted Battler
Years
okay. here we go with another update in my ultimate poison challenge!

-after pwning morty i went to olivine
-after the lighthouse there i went to cianwood city, caught a tentacool and beat chuck rather easily
-after chuck i started to evolve my party some more in prep for jasmine
-somehow beat jasmine and the i waited around for awhile so the safari zone guy would let me put stuff in the safari zone.
-after the wait i caught a skorupi in the safari zone(lvl 44. jesus!)
-tried for a croagunk but realized i had to wait 20 days......weak.
-evolved the skorupi to drapion then weant and caught the gyrados and beat the rockets as well as the gym leader without too much trouble.
-then went throught the ice path to go and fight clair. beat her after 1 try then went towards the victory road.
-had to switch two members of my party out for slaves. then beat my rival at the end.

and now my party before the first e4 challenge! (ill probably grind a bit before fighting)

Ariados(Recluse)
lvl 36
Poison Sting
Sucker Punch
Shadow Sneak
Night Shade

Shiny Victreebell(PoisonOak)
lvl 37
Vine Whip
Growth
Acid
Sleep Powder

Gengar(Malice)
lvl 38
Dark Pulse
Shadow Ball
Night Shade
Thunder

TentaCruel(Leviathan)
lvl 38
Poison Jab
Blizzard
Water Pulse
Surf

Shiny Crobat(DevilWing)
lvl 39
Fly
Air Cutter
U-Turn
Bite

Drapion(Tenebrae(latin for darkness))
lvl 47
Crunch
Toxic Spikes
Bug Bite
Poison Fang

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 23, 2011
Pokemon Sapphire Water Monotype Challenge Update '2
-Just beat the Rustboro gym. Heh, if only the game was gonna be this easy all the way through.
-Evolved Lotad into Lombre
-Evolved Mudkip into Marshtomp
-Marshtomp is level 17; Lombre is level 16.

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Ok, here's my first REAL Ultimate Normal Monotype challenge.
Caught Rattata and Pidgey
Grinded them all up to level 10
Beat Rival Bruno on the Route near Pokemon League
Got through Viridian Forest
Got my First Gym badge. It was NOT easy.
Strategy against Geodude: Spam sand attack with Pidgey and then just attack, praying for criticals, which REALLY helped me out in the end fight with Geodude
Strategy against Onix: Spam sand attack again, except that Onix went first and KOed my Pidgey, which was REALLY unexpected. So I sent out Rattata and used Quick Attack until it started using Bide, the I used Tail Whip until it released energy (nothing) and then resumed Quick attacking again. I finally got it to low HP, it uses Tackle and hits (this is also after a few screeches btw) and Rattata barely survives. One more quick attack doesn't quite take Onix down, but luckily, it uses Screech again, which does nothing, and I use quick attack and win.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Badges: 1
Best pokemon on Team: So far, Fang the Rattata, I wouldn't have won the gym battle without it.
Team
Rattata
Spr_1b_019.png

Fang
Level 11 (might have raised to 12, can't remember)
No item
Tackle
Tail Whip
Quick attack
----------

Pidgey
Spr_1b_016.png

WingBlade
level 13
No Item
Gust
Sand Attack
Quick Attack
-------

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
Sinnoh Water type update 2

Tried to level up against wild Magikarps however after only 2 'Karps and too many 'Not even a nibble's I gave up and headed back to Jubilife.
Gave my rival the Parcel.
Got the Town Map.
Battled two kids in the School,finding out that hidden power is annoying in the battles.
Pesi grew to level 10 after the last battle!
BiBi grew to level 6 after the same battle!
Got the Hidden Power TM.
Healed up after the battles
Talked to Poketch maker guy
Got coupon 3
Found a paralyze heal north of jubilife.
Battled a trainer north of Jubilife
Healed up at Jubilife
Got coupon 1
Got coupon 2
Got the poketch
Fought another trainer north of Jubilife
Healed at Jubilife
Battled the last trainer north of Jubilife
Areo grew to level 7!
BiBi grew to level 7!
Battled my rival east of Jubilife and won!
Pesi grew to level 11 and learned Water Sport!
Healed up at Jubilife.
Battled another trainer east of Jubilife.
Got a Pokeball

Team

Pesi
Piplup
LV11
Pound
Growl
Bubble
Water Sport

BiBi
Bidoof
LV7
Tackle
Growl

Areo
Magikarp
LV7
Splash

ThaWinnerGON

Backpacker
Years
Update Time:
-Went down to Olivine, did our thang there
(Asailed a light house, found out some stupid creature was sick, so now I gotta cross the ocean to get some meds, Got Hm Strength)
-Surfed to Cianwood, on the way Protein evolved into Hitmontop. Ehhh.
-Did our thang in Cianwood
(Got some drugs, got a juice-making turtle bug, Out-fighting-typed Chuck because Muscles was a BEAST, Encountered Suicune and battled the obsessor)
-Went back to Olivine, delivered some drugs, beat Jasmine's Steelix thanks to Nancy's surfing skillz
-Explored the cave towards Mahogony town...some rocks were in the way at part of it, wth? Guess I'll have to wait to get that second tyrogue.
-Got the phone number to the fisherman who gives you waterstones, so Nancy will be a Poliwrath soon
-Put the smackdown on a shiny gyarados
-Ninja'd out the Rocket Hideout
-Defeated Pryce thanks to the Fighting types rapeness over Ice
-Saved a Radio Tower from Team Rocket being pricks
-Got the waterstone phone call :D
-...debating on just breeding for a tyrogue egg, not sure if I can wait for however long the game takes to clear up those boulders so I can get the tyrogue from the Karate King. O well

Current Team:
Nancy (Poliwrath) Lv 40
-Surf
-Hypnosis
-Water Gun
-Body Slam

Protein (Hitmontop) Lv 39
-Headbutt
-Dizzy Punch
-Rock Smash
-Dig
(Hitmontops seem to just have bad learned movesets...so I had to TM him up)

Muscles (Machoke) Lv 41
-Low Kick
-Strength
-Foresight
-Karate Chop

Cut Slave (Cyndaquil) Lv 10
Fly Slave (Noctowl) Lv 16

Time to go do the Suicune thang.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
BugUMC.jpg

You guessed it. I'll be using my favorite type, Bug. But as I don't have a functioning Platinum ROM(don't worry, Kricketune and Vespiquen, I'll still have you on my actual Platinum DS cartridge) I guess I'll have to settle for Emerald. I'll be doing the Single Monotype Challenge, and I'll start right now!

On a side note, shouldn't Azurill also mentioned in the rules, like Eevee? It's a pure normal type but evolves into a pure water type.

EDIT!!!!: You won't believe what happened! I was training and I found a shiny Lotad...WITHOUT CHEATING!!!

Last edited:

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
Years
(^ True, but who actually uses Azurill ;))

Anyway, sign me up for a SingleMonotypeChallenge. I think I'll go for...

WaterUMC2.jpg

Sinnoh!

Probably my *Cough* Second *Cough* favourite type, which is in no-way surpased by Ice-types.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
Ok, I cant remember the facts completely so this will have to do.

UPDATE #4

I beat Lt Surge
Got through Rock Cave or whatever it is
Went to Celadon and beat the rockets.
Went back to Lavender and saved Mr. Fuji
Went down and caught a Tentacool _(Jelly)
started training him and realized it was hard.
Trained jelly on the way to Fuschia and at the gym.
Beat koga easily
went back to celadon and beat Erika.
Went to Saffron and beat the rockts and Sabrina.
Flew to Pallet Town and surfed to Cinnabar.
Got the key to the gym and beat everyone with surf + Jelly.
Flew to Viridian
beat Giovanni with Blastoise
Lost to Rival
Beat rival on try 2
Got through Victory Road annoyingly but easy.
Elit Four:

Lorelei easy

Bruno: one shotted all his pokemon

Agatha: Easy,Easy,Easy

Lance: Easy with Blizzard

Rival: Lost against him

Once again:

Lorelei Easy

Bruno Easy

The rest: easy

Final Team:

Jelly (Tentacruel) lvl 51
Surf
Toxic
Blizzard
Hydro Pump

Aqua Blast (Blastoise) level 52
Mega Punch
Surf
Hydro Pump
Earthquake

Fen (Gyrados) level 48
Surf
Hydro Pump
Body Slam
Dragon Rage

Now onto Johto! (ugh)

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Can I hack in a Meowth level 12 (right around where my team is right now)? I planned to have one on my team but I just found out it's a blue exclusive D: (I was using a Red ROM btw).

Years
Update on my ultimate electric challenge - Kanto

1. Went back to cerulean and got a bulbasaur
  2. Taught him cut then vent back to vermilion
  3. Fought Lt. surge and actually won!
  4. Got a squirtle for later use
  5. Went through diglets cave and went to get flash
  6. Didn't have enough pkmn so i went on a catching spree
  7. Finally got flash and headed to cerulean
  8. taught flash to drowzee
  9. caught a magnemite in the grass near rock tunnel
  10. went through rock tunnel with difficulty
  11. made it to lavender town then went to celadon
  12. went into the game corner and am now in the rocket base
  13. Thats it...I hate the rocket base :(

My pikachu is lvl 33 and magnamite is lvl 25

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
Ok, I started Johto and decided to use only Feraligatr.

Update 1 on Johto.

Chose Totodile for starterr and named him Jaws.
Trained him to level 8
Beat rival
Named him ???
Trained to level 16
Beat Gym and Sprout Tower
Got to Union Cave and totodile evolved
Beat Team Rocket in the well
Beat Bugsy
Beat Rival again
Got through forest
Beat whitney on third try
Taught Croconaw Ice Punch
Got to Ecruteak town (Croconaw evolved on the way)
Got Surf.
Taught Jaws Surf
Beat Morty

Team:
Jaws (Feraligatr) level 36
Ice Punch
Leer
Surf
Headbutt

Update 2

Went to Olivine
Talked to Jasmine