• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Un-Noticed Hacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinygoldash

bagel-meister ;)
    Years
    Everyone loves hacks by peopl who made good ones before and say they're good and be a bit of a wierdo. :badsmile:

The only way to survive is the hack showcase. ;)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    You know, the Scrapbox should have a thread character limit of about 200-250 so that someone actually has to post something HACK-LIKE.

But...yeah...xD

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    This thread is getting off topic ppl...

I agree with the topic though, too many hacks are being brushed off because they are in the scrapbox and not in the showcase... Alot of the time,none of them make it to the showcase, because the dont get the motivation they need to keep up the work. Like a person I know here, Yunghove, his hack, started in the scrapbox, but he got noticed, because his had results, as it was said earlier... not to mention alot of motivation, I dont remember ever seeing any insults in his thread, and now he has won a hack award, and is moving towards a the beta stages! I too am starting a new hack. (since my last one was killed by a computer virus) but I dont plan on releasing it until I can get an alpha released...

Anyways, the scrapbox is a great place to find and support hacks, make someone feel good, support there hack, and help it move onto greatness! Make them a banner, that will make them work on it for sure! (worked for me before my compy died, yunghove made me a banner, and I exploded with joy, and worked relentlessly on it for hours on end!)

~0m3GA :t157:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Tbh I think that hacking is based on 2 things..1 is obviously quality..but 2 is more on popularity. Think of it this way, Zel did SG. If he were to drop even the most mediocre hack in the scrapbox it would always remain on the first page just becuz he is expected for greatness. Others like new hackers have A LOT more wrk to do just to stay on the second page. Other hackers who aren't the best still collect popularity after a while. In short I think it would be easier for hackers to build a presence before actually starting a hack. Like posting in the simple question threads like I did answering questions and all that or asking questions so that you can learn some things for your own and your hack can be respected. And if you can tough out a month with continuous updates people will see you mean business. Unlike most hackers who quit just becuz their thread isn't pushin 300+ views

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    This thread's a really good idea, and I fullt support helping getting good un noticed hacks well... noticed! The hacks I really pay attention to aren't the generic types "You're a Pokemon trainer so go and get badges and beat the elite four" thing. I like hacks that have an overall unique theme, ideas, and features driving the hack away from a typical Pokemon game.

Although, some of these hacks with brilliant areas are ignored in favor for a generic one. This brings trouble too, since anyone can promise anything, but that doesn't mean they can actually put it in the game. When people make hacks, before posting a feature or a new direction for a hack, actually put it in, and show off screenshots to help demonstrate what you're talking about. Don't say "I'll do it later", post the information when you've actually done some work on it.

I agree with the top post too, you shouldn't stop working on a hack just because it's not popular. The more your work on your hack, the more it will get noticed, and the more popular you will get. The authors who have made completed hacks, and hacks with a very large chunk of the game done, are the most popular hackers on this site. If you give up because your first hacks weren't popular, you wont have gained the popularity. Even if you don't get as popular by doing your best and pushing the boundaries of what a hack can offer, you should make the hack for those who enjoy it, not beg for other people to like it.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Wow...
    Whenever Coolboyman posts in a thread like this, he always gives a really pro speech... *claps
    I think there's a case of not caring either way. If they do read it, they may not really care and just...
    Proof? 1777 views, 26 posts. Half of them mine.
    Sad much?

Well, the scrapbox should have some sort of character limit for a thread just to stop those without a story and without some very important and necessary things...Maybe 200?

Just, if you find a hack with some potential, don't just look at it and go. Offer suggestions, tips and bits of constructive criticism.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    This thread's a really good idea, and I fullt support helping getting good un noticed hacks well... noticed! The hacks I really pay attention to aren't the generic types "You're a Pokemon trainer so go and get badges and beat the elite four" thing. I like hacks that have an overall unique theme, ideas, and features driving the hack away from a typical Pokemon game.

Although, some of these hacks with brilliant areas are ignored in favor for a generic one. This brings trouble too, since anyone can promise anything, but that doesn't mean they can actually put it in the game. When people make hacks, before posting a feature or a new direction for a hack, actually put it in, and show off screenshots to help demonstrate what you're talking about. Don't say "I'll do it later", post the information when you've actually done some work on it.
    I agree with the top post too, you shouldn't stop working on a hack just because it's not popular. The more your work on your hack, the more it will get noticed, and the more popular you will get. The authors who have made completed hacks, and hacks with a very large chunk of the game done, are the most popular hackers on this site. If you give up because your first hacks weren't popular, you wont have gained the popularity. Even if you don't get as popular by doing your best and pushing the boundaries of what a hack can offer, you should make the hack for those who enjoy it, not beg for other people to like it.
    Way to hit the hammer on the nail! Coolboyman you think a lot like me.. A lot of people when you look at their threads promise a billion and two impossible features (493 pkmn + 158 new pokemon all 4 regions + 3 new ones and 100,000 new moves + all the old ones ect.) Then you read on and instead of accepting the fact that they can't do any of what they promised they claim "feature not available til final beta.".when most know that its impossible.. But just so nobody calls me out it is possible for me to add three regions in shattered dreams. Because each region is fairly small like 5 towns.. But hacks claiming 4 full blown regions are nuts. Some hacks get unoticed for the fact that the creator is here to get major popularity and doesn't realy try.
    Anyone boy (or girl) can edit text and maps.. It takes a man (or woman) to make a hack.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Way to hit the hammer on the nail! Coolboyman you think a lot like me.. A lot of people when you look at their threads promise a billion and two impossible features (493 pkmn + 158 new pokemon all 4 regions + 3 new ones and 100,000 new moves + all the old ones ect.) Then you read on and instead of accepting the fact that they can't do any of what they promised they claim "feature not available til final beta.".when most know that its impossible.. But just so nobody calls me out it is possible for me to add three regions in shattered dreams. Because each region is fairly small like 5 towns.. But hacks claiming 4 full blown regions are nuts. Some hacks get unoticed for the fact that the creator is here to get major popularity and doesn't realy try.
    Anyone boy (or girl) can edit text and maps.. It takes a man (or woman) to make a hack.

Hey!
    The way you say it sounds as if young hackers suck!
    :/

True, though. Most hackers don't even know what they CAN and CAN'T do...

lukeh

Former ROM Hacker
    Years
    Why not trying to submit your hack to WAH? Im sure it would pick it up if its as good as you say it is.

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
    Even though nobody's posted in this thread since last month, I really wanna have my say in this:

First off, I know that when I look in the scrapbox, I see a bunch of threads that are unappealing with no hacking done whatsoever, but have two or three pages of ideas. I get tired of it and quit looking, so if I miss a good hack, well that kinda stinks and it's not that person's fault their hack isn't getting a good fan-base. I submitted my hack straight to the Hacks Showcase and it got accepted, but things aren't that much better there either. By the time you finish the first page, you have to make that extra stride to add some measly tidbit of information to bump your hack. Although, I came at a bad time seeing as four or five other hacks were submitted at the same time (but that's my fault for bad timing =P).
    I actually have no idea if I made a point there, but it felt good to rant... Haha.

On another note, I actually prefer my Pokemon hacks to be Pokemon hacks instead of some elaborate story about a war-torn world or people dying. Pokemon games are supposed to be light-hearted and I like to base my work off of the Nintendo formula. I say, let games like Final Fantasy be Final Fantasy and Pokemon be Pokemon. Wild and crazy ideas don't hold my attention. [I guess I got a little off-topic there...my bad!]

shinygoldash

bagel-meister ;)
    Years
    Well, I guess I've nearly fallen to the Un-Noticed and quited even though it's in the hack showcase. But I just decided to lock it till I get back on the road of hacking.

It's all about making steady progress and if you make a second hack after the first being really good, you'll have people looking straight away.

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
    Years
    I believe that the unnoticed hacks are in the scrap box for a reason. Why are they unnoticed? Because they have bad names (not dirty, etc., just names that don't stand out, or they stand out in a bad way ie. dirty etc.), bad maps, bad story (although a bad story isn't as bad if you include a LOT of new features, include great maps, and don't make it too similar to the original game, and you already made a name for yourself, although if you already made a name for yourself, it could ruin your rep...), lots of "deadly" glitches (because who wants to have to save constantly just to get through a game, while being scared that they might have to reload their last save), or your just a hacker that constantly give out crap hacks.

If you make a lot of bad hacks, people will stop paying attention to you unless you go to a different website and make good hacks, and hope the news will spread back to where you started...

sorry this was so long...

Years
    I believe that the unnoticed hacks are in the scrap box for a reason. Why are they unnoticed? Because they have bad names (not dirty, etc., just names that don't stand out, or they stand out in a bad way ie. dirty etc.), bad maps, bad story (although a bad story isn't as bad if you include a LOT of new features, include great maps, and don't make it too similar to the original game, and you already made a name for yourself, although if you already made a name for yourself, it could ruin your rep...), lots of "deadly" glitches (because who wants to have to save constantly just to get through a game, while being scared that they might have to reload their last save), or your just a hacker that constantly give out crap hacks.

If you make a lot of bad hacks, people will stop paying attention to you unless you go to a different website and make good hacks, and hope the news will spread back to where you started...

sorry this was so long...
    I really really disagree on this...

You make it look like scrapbox hacks suck, and they really don't hacks in the scrapbox are there because they need to be further developt so they fit the rules to be an "showcase hack". Look at my hack Pokemon Ever Dark, it is in the scrapbox I could have placed it in the showcase for a long time but I want to have a good start before I place it in the hacks showcase. Actually it's pretty stupid that people are thinking that scrapbox hacks are worse then the ones in the hacks showcase! If you would have in the scarpbox something like in the hacks showcase, with that I mean you have to furfill some rules to get in it, it would also have only "the good hacks", same goes if the hacks showcase didn't have those rules it would also have "bad hacks" in it just like the scrapbox. I really really think that people shouldn't be so flat looking! And if you would take the time to look at some of the hacks in the scrapbox you'll see that they aren't bad or something, look at the one made by Lucario 9, it's a great hack it furfill's the hacks showcase's rules but he want's to keep it in the scrapbox a little longer so it is better developt. Scrapbox hacks are the same as the hacks showcase hacks but the scrapbox just gets looked over every time. Well that's what I think.

~Satoshi Sugimori

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back