• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Undaunted Theme Deck Lists!

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
Years
  • The lists for the new theme decks are now out, and I must say, they're much improved over previous ones! First, here are the lists:

Nightfall

Pokemon
    Umbreon x2 (1 holo, 1 non-holo)
    Eevee x4 (Revived Legends)
    Metagross x1
    Metang x2
    Beldum X2
    Honchkrow x1 (Vengeance)
    Murkrow x2 (Astonish)
    Lairon x2
    Aron x2
    Skuntank x2
    Stunky x2
    Houndour x2 (Jump On)
    Mawile x2
    Skarmory x1
    Sableye x2

T/S/S
    Switch x2 (HG/SS)
    Pokemon Communication x2 (HG/SS)
    Burned Tower x1
    Full Heal x2 (HG/SS)
    Energy Exchanger x2
    Interviewer's Questions x2 (UL)
    Sage's Training x2

Energy
    Metal Energy x11
    Darkness Energy x7

Daybreak

Pokemon
    Espeon x2 (1 holo, 1 non-holo)
    Eevee x4 (Leafeon vs. Metagross)
    Bellossom x1
    Gloom x2
    Oddish x2
    Dodrio x1
    Doduo x2
    Muk x2
    Grimer x2
    Togekiss x1
    Togetic x2
    Togepi x2
    Raticate x2
    Rattata x2
    Scyther x2 (Afterimage Strike)

T/S/S
    Energy Exchanger x2
    Interviewer's Questions x2 (UL)
    Life Herb x2 (UL)
    Poke Ball x2 (HG/SS)
    Ruins of Alph x1
    Sage's Training x2
    Team Rocket's Trickery x2

Energy
    Grass Energy x10
    Psychic Energy x8

One thing that you'll immediately notice is that there's two copies of the main Pokemon in the deck, with the holo versions using the 'Rotom' foil in the background as opposed to regular foil. Another thing is that there are much fewer 'pyramid' Evolution lines (ex. 4-2-1) and also much fewer random Basics with no Evolutions in the deck (in this case, Houndour and Scyther).

Onto the decks themselves, Nightfall is perfect for those that need basic Darkness and Metal Energy, as well as two copies of Pokemon Communication, which is definitely a good thing. Daybreak, unfortunately, doesn't really have any cards worth noting, exept maybe Espeon and Sage's Training, which is also in Nightfall. If the Bellossom was a Vileplume instead, it would definitely have been worth it.

Anyways, thoughts on the new theme decks?

Years
  • i am looking at this and i am wondering if the creators want you to buy booster packs because some things are just not complete like in the daybreak theme deck there is way to many pokemon and way to less energies. The creators just want you to buy more. But on the plus side you can make your own deck i guess.

FurretFTW!!1!

/me lieks Mightyena, too.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    OMG STARTER DECKS WITH LESS THAN 20 ENERGY!?!? This is a first xD The theme decks for this set are actually really good. The first one has a pretty pro mix of types for the people who want those basic energy. They even have a semi-decent strategy going on.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Having less than 1/3 energy in a theme deck is a good thing. The theme decks are finally moving away from their traditional format towards something more reflective of the metagame, and plus, you get a booster pack in each theme deck!
    I wouldn't be surprised if this move was based on decreasing sales of theme decks, after all, you would get mostly energy and they often didn't even give you a holo of a card that is usually holo (flygon, anyone?). Why bother with them when there are tins and booster packs? Now we have an incentive to collect theme decks too.

edit: And I forgot to mention that collectors will be interested to see these holos with the "rotom" holofoil, they may end up being a pain to collect but who knows, they might look cool.

Raikou Trainer

Years
  • I wouldn't be surprised if this move was based on decreasing sales of theme decks, after all, you would get mostly energy and they often didn't even give you a holo of a card that is usually holo (flygon, anyone?). Why bother with them when there are tins and booster packs? Now we have an incentive to collect theme decks too.
    I think that's the primary reason why they changed the theme decks around.

edit: And I forgot to mention that collectors will be interested to see these holos with the "rotom" holofoil, they may end up being a pain to collect but who knows, they might look cool.
    They do look cool. I did the Theme Deck Challenge at the prerelease I went to yesterday and got the Nightfall deck, so I can vouch for that.

Also, slightly off topic, but if anyone plans on going to a prerelease, definitely consider playing in the Theme Deck Challenge (if your location offers it), since you get the deck and five extra packs (one from the deck, four as prizes), and it costs the same as the main event. Surprisingly, both decks are pretty evenly matched against each other.

If you go this route, get to your prerelease location early so you can secure a Nightfall deck. At my prerelease, all the Nightfall decks available were claimed before even one Daybreak was taken. Yeah, Nightfall is that good.

Years
  • They've actually got competent theme decks for the first time in ages! :O

Though I wish there was a theme deck that had Pokemon Collector instead of Pokemon Communication, because I personally have an abundance of Pokemon Communication. But that's just me wondering why I've gotten so many Communication from the boosters and not Collectors, even with the two cards being of the same rarity.

The foils are exciting, though.

@heatranfan11: They do want you to buy more booster packs. The theme decks are just supposed to be a foundation for deck-building. Though it's worth noting that these are the most worthwhile ones in a while.

Raikou Trainer

Years
  • hmmmmm i wonder if you can get energies in booster packs for the cause of low energies in the theme decks
    You can get Special Darkness and Metal Energies in Undaunted packs (great for the Nightfall deck), but basic Energy only come in HG/SS packs, which is the most recent set with basic Energy in packs.

Years
  • yeah i was gonna do a thread on which theme deck to get in undaunted but it sounds like nightfall would be better
    and i looked on this website(can't remember which one.)and they say that the theme deck with the booster pack is only a dollar more so you are getting a good deal

Last edited:
    Back