• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underground Tuesdays #2: The Colourist (The Colourist, WuMo, Show Me Where Ya Noms At) [Daily Bloggity Entry #18]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • picture.php

Date: 11 March 2014
    Time: 9:12 AM ET
    Mood: Excited!

Underground Tuesdays is a new series in the Daily Bloggity that looks at bands that aren't that popular and showcases their music. Continue reading to read my thoughts on the album or EP.This will be a weekly series in the Daily Bloggity that will appear every Tuesday at 5PM ET.

The Colourist is an indie rock band formed by frontman Adam Castilla (vocals, guitar) and Maya Tuttle (vocals, drums) under the music label Universal Republic Records. Formed in 2009, they are coming off of their second tour opening for Panic! at the Disco, and are going to be headlining for the first time this upcoming month. Although they are a rock band, their music can also be classified as indie pop and math pop, and their music is generalized as having a "bright and anthemic signature sound." In August of 2013, The Colourist released their debut EP entitled Lido, which is what we shall be looking at today.

Daily Music - "Fix This" by The Colourist
    Spoiler:
    Lido, The Colourist's first entry into the music business, while short - containing only four songs - contains a bountiful of great music. In my opinion, the great thing about this EP is that there isn't a bad song on it. From Little Games to Yes Yes, you can't really pick out anything bad about it. I had the good pleasure of seeing this band live when I saw them open for Panic! at the Disco, and boy was I not disappointed. All their songs are fast paced, drum-driven songs that make you want to snap your fingers along with it.

Fix This, my favorite song on the EP, is a catchy rhythmic groove with fast faced drums and great vocalization from Ms. Tuttle. When the chorus breaks down, it instantaneously makes you want to jump and down to the beat of it. The subtle claps between the breaks in the chorus add even more punch to the song. Lyrically, it's nothing too special as it's a typical song about someone fighting to keep their loved one with them, but it's the beat and the rhythms to the song that really catches your attention.

Daily Comic - "Yeah, yeah" by Wulff & Morgenthaler of WuMo
    Spoiler:
    Little Games, notably their most popular song, has given The Colourist a lot of publicity as of late. In 2009 thanks to this debut single by them, they won the awards for Best New Artist, Best Song, and Best Live Band at the O.C. Music Awards, and it has also gone on to be used in commercials such as the 2013 commerical for the Nokia Lumia phone. The slowest of the songs on the album, Little Games is characterized by twangy guitar rifts and vocals by Adam Castilla. It's a great song, but I argue that it's the weakest out of their four songs (and that's saying something considering they're all good.)

Daily Video - "Show Me Where Ya Noms At" by artist MyHarto
    Spoiler:
    We Won't Go Home could possibly be the anthem for college students. When they played this song when I saw them live, the venue turned into a jumping-frenzy moshpit. Maya completely destroyed the song on the drums, and this is one of those songs that make you thankful that you showed up to see the opening band perform. It's a song that truly engages the audience, making you want to sing along to the lyrics and sway to the beat. It is definitely one of the catchiest songs of 2014 to date, and it's a testament to what the band is capable of producing.

The Colourist's EP Lido is currently out, and their first studio album The Colourist will be hitting stores on March 25th, 2014. Their first headlining tour also begins on March 14th, 2014.

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:

Back